Sign in to follow this  
MaskedCoward

Durability of models

Another Norwegian?

Soon there's enough of us that we can TAKE OVER THE FORUM!

Or somethig like that....   

You may want to add Norway to your profile. It sometimes helps to know where a user is, if they ask for something. 

Can I ask where in Norway?

(I'm near Molde)

About fixing it yourself is something breaks off...  

that usually requires 'pinning' (inserting a thin metal rod into the part to stiffen it. That means drilling holes in the part. And that's done with a 'pin vise'')

If you don't have one, you could try Spillsjefen, Amundsen Hobby(awful website, located in Trondheim) or even Gamezone. Spillsjefen sells some Reaper paints and minis also.  

• Like 3

I'm from Tromsø, so I'm very limited when it comes to local shops. Got to order most things online, unfortunately. 

Though my idea to 'fix' it was to use low heat and melt it back on. Making even more fragile which would give even more problems later on. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MaskedCoward said:

Though my idea to 'fix' it was to use low heat and melt it back on. Making even more fragile which would give even more problems later on. 

I would strongly recommend that you not do that. Metal miniatures have very high thermal conductivity. Which means that when you get to the melting point of the metal at the break, you're also at or very close to the same temperature on the whole mini. The most common result of attempting a weld with tin minis is a blob of tin. The good news about that, I suppose, is that you wouldn't have any mold lines. :poke:

For gluing metal minis, I like to use 5-minute epoxy. (I mostly use JB Kwik, but any 5-minute epoxy should work.) Here's a tutorial for a pretty simple way to pin minis: http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1589

For other tips, you might want to take a look at this thread:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/32513-the-tutorials-database/

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 5

Fortunately, it isn't necessary to do melting tricks on metal minis to get them to behave.

• Like 2

Another Norwegian here, from Moss, but I have lived in the US since I went to Iowa State University and meet a native.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Citrine said:

Another Norwegian here, from Moss, but I have lived in the US since I went to Iowa State University and meet a native.

Iowa native here.  Go Cyclones.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum!

Don't forget to show off those minis when you have painted them, we love seeing painted minis!

• Like 3

On September 6, 2019 at 4:39 PM, MaskedCoward said:

I'm from Tromsø, so I'm very limited when it comes to local shops. Got to order most things online, unfortunately. 

Welcome - some good advice already given, and typically is.

i have been to Tromso - nice town, went to see northern most University/only University above the Artic circle (or something along those lines!)

• Like 5

Doug Sundseth pretty much said what I would say. Typically, mini-metal can bend quite a bit before breaking, even if it is making awful cracking noises. But not every time - I have been surprised by some instantaneous breaks as soon as I started to reposition something. But this was on fairly thick legs, and it was a snap to pin them back on.

I've  never heard of anyone welding the tin-antimony-bismuth alloy used. I seriously doubt it would work.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Madog Barfog said:

Doug Sundseth pretty much said what I would say. Typically, mini-metal can bend quite a bit before breaking, even if it is making awful cracking noises. But not every time - I have been surprised by some instantaneous breaks as soon as I started to reposition something. But this was on fairly thick legs, and it was a snap to pin them back on.

I've  never heard of anyone welding the tin-antimony-bismuth alloy used. I seriously doubt it would work.

Me, the 90s, Ral Partha Battletech King Crab, a soldering iron, a stubborn broken arm...

It ended with a shiny spherical blob where the shoulder/elbow used to be.

Now ask me how I "fixed" a deeply scratched CD with a candle (to melt the plastic into a smooth surface again obviously). P.S. I got to buy a new CD.

• Haha 6