Sign in to follow this  
ksbsnowowl

Weighting down Goremaw?

I'm about to undertake my first large (gargantuan...) mini painting exercise, and I'm wondering if anyone else put weights of some sort in Goremaw the Purple Worm's base?

My Goremaw's base is warped just enough (despite boiling water and ice bath) that I'm going to have to attach the base on a 100mm black plastic base, just to ensure that he stays flat.  But I'm just at the assembly stage at the moment, and have yet to glue the worm down to the bones base.  I note that the male end of the connection (in the base) is hollow, and large enough for US Quarters and similarly-sized objects to fit inside.  I don't think that Goremaw is going to be overly top-heavy when completed, but I'm wondering if it is worth my time to glue a stack of quarters together with some E6000, and glue them into Goremaw's base before I attach the worm.

Also, the male end of the base seems vastly smaller than the female end of the worm, and I'm wondering if there are any special precautions I should take to ensure I get a good bond at that junction (I'm using cyanoacrylate I got from HobbyTown USA).

Thoughts?

Not my photo, but it shows the hollow male end in the center of the base, so you know what I'm talking about:

image.thumb.png.5139e23a492107d08a156b30b3bd5574.png

• Like 4

I think it isn't really necessary but if you want to, I would opt for some fishing lead.

• Like 4

CA glue should be perfect, Greenstuff works fine too.  The only issue I can imagine with that slot is that it's so big that you may get some gaps between the male and female parts--hence maybe using GS or a more gap-filling kind of glue.  As far as tippage, I haven't heard of any problems with G.

You could try adding real rocks to the base, using a bigger base, and/or using a cut sheet of metal either between your plastic base and G's built-in or on the very bottom.  I made a tipsy hippogryph (not actually an adult beverage...yet), and used a rimmed base (made from some plastic lid) filled with either wood putty/filler or drywall mud (I forget), then popped some small rocks on it.

• Like 4

I have two and no issues. Sorry to hear that you do.

Here is a pic of each of mine:

20191026_110950.thumb.jpg.cbe1540cd92bf33c4924b1cd35a11c50.jpg

20190325_225418.thumb.jpg.2ccdc29b4f46934128e1102718b5af83.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, ksbsnowowl said:

I don't think that Goremaw is going to be overly top-heavy when completed, but I'm wondering if it is worth my time to glue a stack of quarters together with some E6000, and glue them into Goremaw's base before I attach the worm.

I don't know how top heavy it is, but a couple of washers are cheap enough to just do it if you feel the need. Also if you use it in wargames and have hills with a slight incline I would suggest you add the weights. I know from the great worm that if the base is not wide enough a relatively small tilt angle is enough to have it topple over, but the center of mass on the goremaw seems a lot lower.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, ksbsnowowl said:

the male end of the base seems vastly smaller than the female end of the worm, and I'm wondering if there are any special precautions I should take to ensure I get a good bond at that junction (I'm using cyanoacrylate I got from HobbyTown USA)

Don't know the brand but CA tends to be brittle. So if you have few contact points (missmatching plug and receptacle) and a brittle glue breakage is likely. I would simply use greenstuff to fill and glue the parts together, you might want to roughen the involved surfaces a bit to create a better bond.

• Like 2

Did you try heating it in the oven?  Sometimes with the thicker pieces it has to get hotter to un-warp and I don't know if boiling water is hot enough to heat it all the way through unless you leave it in for a while or bake it at 250..  a pizza stone or a cast iron skillet might be handy.. hmmm