Sign in to follow this  
Cicciopiu

07017 - Sister Hazel, Plague Doctor

Dude, I don't know what you're going on about, those bottles came out awesome! They even look fizzy. :wow:

Super good job on the olive cape and especially the faded black hood. Really like where you placed the brightest highlights on the back of the hood. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The blood splattered cape really pulled my eye. That is some high quality grime. 

I like the play of light and bubbles in the bottles.  

If I have one criticism the hood looks to clean in comparison to the rest,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great paint job!  I love the paint job on the bottles, but what throws me off about them is that the water line is parallel to the bottles, not the ground.  The figure does not have enough motion for the liquid in the bottles to be splashing around. Only mentioned it because you asked for criticism.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some critical critiques:

• Like @Citrine mentioned, the fluid in specifically the right-most bottle on the belt does not appear to be parallel with the horizon/ground. Bottles themselves look really good, IMHO.
  • For blood...it is a liquid and so it reacts differently on different materials. On a smooth non-absorbent surface, such as a blade, it will remain wet longer and retain its glossy red luster. On fabrics, like most liquids, it tends to be absorbed and wick into the fibers. This causes it to expand outward as the cloth fibers suck it up; but also de-saturates a bit (white being a rare exception) and certainly loses its gloss nature as the liquid is no longer reflecting off a smooth surface. Anyways, this is probably way more information than you reasonably care about, but if you are looking for accuracy - here ya go (forensics website that has blood spatter analysis). The short version would be to tone down the gloss and saturation of red on fabrics (like on the bottom of the cloak), and retain it (if very fresh) for smooth surfaces.
  • The back of the cloak on the second picture looks really good, the third picture the back looks a little glossy. Personal preference, but if the cloak is worn and dirty, the sheen should probably be brought down a bit. Could just be the light/camera though.

All of that being said, you paint at a higher level than me; so take these observations with a grain of salt! That olive green cloak looks most excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For blood ( and rust etc) I can recommend the Vallejo Special Effects Set.

it has fresh blood and dried blood in it, so you could use fresh blood on a blade then and dried blood on cloth like @Al Capwn explained.

The set also has vomit, verdigris, old rust and new rust and a chipping medium in it.

Awesome stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you everyone for the kind words, it seems iI'm the only one who don't like it... prolly cause that vials took me so much time I've started hating it!

4 hours ago, Citrine said:

Great paint job!  I love the paint job on the bottles, but what throws me off about them is that the water line is parallel to the bottles, not the ground.  The figure does not have enough motion for the liquid in the bottles to be splashing around. Only mentioned it because you asked for criticism.

53 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Some critical critiques:

• Like @Citrine mentioned, the fluid in specifically the right-most bottle on the belt does not appear to be parallel with the horizon/ground. Bottles themselves look really good, IMHO.
  • For blood...it is a liquid and so it reacts differently on different materials. On a smooth non-absorbent surface, such as a blade, it will remain wet longer and retain its glossy red luster. On fabrics, like most liquids, it tends to be absorbed and wick into the fibers. This causes it to expand outward as the cloth fibers suck it up; but also de-saturates a bit (white being a rare exception) and certainly loses its gloss nature as the liquid is no longer reflecting off a smooth surface. Anyways, this is probably way more information than you reasonably care about, but if you are looking for accuracy - here ya go (forensics website that has blood spatter analysis). The short version would be to tone down the gloss and saturation of red on fabrics (like on the bottom of the cloak), and retain it (if very fresh) for smooth surfaces.
  • The back of the cloak on the second picture looks really good, the third picture the back looks a little glossy. Personal preference, but if the cloak is worn and dirty, the sheen should probably be brought down a bit. Could just be the light/camera though.

All of that being said, you paint at a higher level than me; so take these observations with a grain of salt! That olive green cloak looks most excellent.

Wow, thank you! Love to get advises! :)
Was trying to follow the motion of the mini as seen in this pic:
01.jpg.30f47f73275eda80a698c3aee94f3c42.jpg
She's moving forward  while she ready her right harm to trow the bottle moving it backward. Thought  it would be a good idea to make the liquid bounce in the opposite direction.

About the blood splat on the fabric... thank you so much for the advise @Al Capwn was not thinking about the fact that the fabric will absorb the liquid and turn the blood matt and dry: I have to correct that !!

And yes, the glossy surface on the cloack it's  a light reflection, it is super matt, but was night when I took the pics, and there was no way to get rid of that.

Thank you @Citrine now I think I made a mistake, but looking at the minis cloack it gived me the illusion of a twitch...

33 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

For blood ( and rust etc) I can recommend the Vallejo Special Effects Set.

it has fresh blood and dried blood in it, so you could use fresh blood on a blade then and dried blood on cloth like @Al Capwn explained.

The set also has vomit, verdigris, old rust and new rust and a chipping medium in it.

Awesome stuff.

Thank you @Glitterwolf, believe it or not, I've used exactly thet set :D... just did not thought about the fact that the fabric would make the blood look dryed and darker...

Edited by Cicciopiu
Grammar
  • Like 5