Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Seeking a Giant Owl

One of the players in a campaign I'm running has recently acquired an enormous owl, sufficiently large for a human to ride.  Size large in D&D terms, probably a 40 mm or so base. We're looking for a suitable mini and not coming up with a whole lot.  The player has expressed a preference for a model which is not in the "claws out striking" pose, because it makes it look the owl is swooping in to poop on someone.  Unfortunately that seems to be the most common pose for owls.

I checked the Reaper catalog, but alas, did not find anything that really fit the bill.  We thought about using the Roc from Bones 4 (we both have one from that kickstarter) and attempting to modify it to have an owl's head, but although it's a very cool sculpt it's also much too large for the purpose. Plus owls just don't have quite the same anatomy as diurnal raptors.

Otherworld Miniatures has one that may do, though I haven't run that one past the player yet and I suspect the pose may not pass muster.

It looks like CMON produced a really nifty Elven Sorceress on Great Owl a few years ago that would be ideal (minus the elven sorceress).  Unfortunately it no longer appears to be available, and I've had no luck looking for it on eBay and similar.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

I don't know if you would be okay with it, but look at the companies like Schleich, Bullyland, Safari etc.

SAFARI:

image.png.ae5bbabaad0d91468d4295ca428d1849.pngimage.png.06b236e51df970353765c607f22c6cef.png

Schleich

image.png.6cfa1fb932bed1a4109ddb05ae42a729.pngimage.png.ec5a3825760c9c009d687a87758d56df.png

PAPO

image.png.87d3c4773574183ffa9d5bdc5704b4df.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

There is a UK based company that has one too. We have a player who just got a giant owl too. I think he ordered one. Tag me sometime tomorrow - I can't look it up atm, but could later. 

• Like 1

@Glitterwolf -- that's a good suggestion.  I'll run it past the player, who will be painting her own mini, so we can just as easily prime and paint one of those.

@Cyradis -- I think that must be the one from Otherworld Miniatures I mentioned.  They're a UK-based company.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wdmartin said:

@Glitterwolf -- that's a good suggestion.  I'll run it past the player, who will be painting her own mini, so we can just as easily prime and paint one of those.

@Cyradis -- I think that must be the one from Otherworld Miniatures I mentioned.  They're a UK-based company.

When you repaint one of those toys, wash it and prime it with a Reaper Liner like with Bones.

Works very well, I have repainted a few snakes that way.

34 minutes ago, wdmartin said:

Sounds familiar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:
2 hours ago, wdmartin said:

Sounds familiar. 

we23-324x324.jpg

Otherworld Owl

• Like 3