willmontgomery

Two Clear Blues?

MSP has 9097 Clear Blue.

ReaperCon had 9607 Clear Phthalo Blue.

But there is a forum post from Anne characterizing 9097 as phthalo blue (search using "pthalo").

And another post from Anne characterizes 9097 as "red-phase".

I have a bottle of 9607, and in the bottle it looks like what I would expect red shade phthalo blue to look like (as opposed to green shade phthalo blue, which apparently is also a thing). I have never seen 9097 in person.

So I wonder: what -- if anything -- is the difference between 9097 and 9607?

The description I heard Anne give was that 9607 was the green-shade blue, and is actually very close to a true Cyan blue.  I have not done any personal comparisons.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Clearman said:

The description I heard Anne give was that 9607 was the green-shade blue, and is actually very close to a true Cyan blue.  I have not done any personal comparisons.

Barring any conflicting reports, this is good enough for me. After all, "Clear" is your first name.

Apparently I need to get some 9097, just to compare them.

Phthalo blue (green shade) is a standard pigment. You should be able to go to an art store to see what it looks like (art paints generally have paint swatches on the outside of their tubes or bottles).

Hold on, you happened to post this on my paint maintenance day! I'm about to start shaking my blues/checking which need water... 

Edit:

ok, the clear blue is a little more navy than that ridiculously pthalo blue shade but they are reeeeeeeal close. 

08422BE0-4099-4BB3-B47A-7B84899895C6.jpeg

Edited by Argentee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Not currently having a bottle of the old Clear blue, but going by  @Argentee's picture I'd say that @Clearman had it right, that definitely looks like the difference between a Pthalo red shade anda Pthalo green shade.

very close, only a slight difference, but they give different life when used in mixes with reds or yellows.

try alternating glazes of both of them and you'll get the most bluest blue ever.

• Like 2