lexomatic

Wizkids Starspawn of Cthulhu

It this yesterday because it gives me a nice in-between mini from my reaper eldritch demon and my Cthulhu.

This is about 90 minutes

20190911_115018.thumb.jpg.b2037d6733e5bcadbead46868306fbce.jpg

20190911_115037.thumb.jpg.84c0f9ba88c690b054048229f4366f87.jpg20190911_114957.thumb.jpg.b3f284d450002299d6d9f8802c0314bf.jpg

Lots of inaccessible spots and texture which makes painting not fun. Will be making this shorter than planned as a result. Everything will get a flesh wash. I'll do some eyes and claws, then a medium and ink wash of the clear plastic water.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Lots of inaccessible spots and texture which makes painting not fun.

Thanks for letting us know. Good luck on the project! 

• Like 1

I saw this for sale this past weekend. I thought it looked cool, but the water effects feel like they'd be a little weird to paint around. I'll be interested in seeing what you make of it.

Just now, Disciple of Sakura said:

I saw this for sale this past weekend. I thought it looked cool, but the water effects feel like they'd be a little weird to paint around. I'll be interested in seeing what you make of it.

They are a bit awkward. Can't get back side of water effects, or lower back because arms /wings block access. I feel like nobody bothered to check if this was physically paintable. I'm pretty happy with results but it's been frustrating.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lexomatic said:

They are a bit awkward. Can't get back side of water effects, or lower back because arms /wings block access. I feel like nobody bothered to check if this was physically paintable. I'm pretty happy with results but it's been frustrating.

Is it possible to paint inside the miniature at all? I feel like the water effects have this weird effect like his body is invisible behind the water. If it was hollow enough inside to paint a bit internally, it might help with overall solidity of the figure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:
20 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Is it possible to paint inside the miniature at all? I feel like the water effects have this weird effect like his body is invisible behind the water. If it was hollow enough inside to paint a bit internally, it might help with overall solidity of the figure.

I saw The Crafting Muse (YouTube) paint this one, and she took the wings off using a hair dryer before the video started.  WizKids must use a glue that can be loosened by heat.  She also painted the water on the underside of the model, which is hollow.

• Like 4

It's hollow. I tried painting a body on the base but it doesn't show through. I wrote this last night but it didn't post. I'm not detaching and reattaching anything. Too much work.

• Like 2

Painting the inside of the body. It is still very translucent.

20190912_160410.thumb.jpg.21244105fecffd21a536b47120fc093b.jpg

Trying to create the illusion of submerged body (not the Rothko of miniatures) which didn't show through so I abandoned 20190912_160326.thumb.jpg.d26369fdb3329e15de0c6f8f6e044414.jpg

• Like 6

Wizkids may have learned from this mini, because the more recent minis that are rising up out of translucent water/dust (the shark and the bulette) both insert into their transparent portions so you can actually paint the body inside the water/dust.

I really like the way you painted the water, and great blending on his face-tentacles.

Edited by breegull
edit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2