Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
It's the weekend - you know what time it is!
This little monstrosity was sitting on my desk looking at me for the past 4 months. I attempted painting it back in October and failed miserably at it. I was trying a blue/white combo that just didn't come out well. It also had a few issues with the fact I primed it with a black Vallejo spray primer that left it feeling tacky. The first round was a dud, and I often find that redoing a miniature is not the wisest thing because it can leave me feeling like I have to perfect it over and over again.
However, this was not the case this time. After watching the dreaded White/Black tutorial on RVE today, I found myself inspired to try again. Thankfully I had stripped it last week and it was ready to begin again today.
* Stripping this with Simple Green worked great. Left it in for about a 4 days, brushed it with an electric toothbrush (which is a must in my opinion).
* Sadly the tacky primer was not coming off, but it still took to the overspray of Stynylrez black over it without too many issues. I then sprayed a white ink over it. I did notice a slight 'crackling' of the ink over it, but I'll get to that later.
* Using the zenithal prime as my map, I starting by laying the darkest grey into the crevices and folds. Following that wwa the next grey up and again with the light "ghostly white."
* These were all close enough I didn't need to transition or mix much between the colors as the moodiness of this mini seemed to play well to the contrasts. I did get a little carried away on the hood with longer streaks instead of just highlights and did a mid-grey glaze over that to hide it. Worked better than I thought.
* The face and hands were using some SAMPLE that was sent to me in one of my Reaper orders that's this really, really, really lovely blue. I used it to baselayer, then lightned up with white. AWESOME. I love it. The blend between the ghastly skin and the robes really came out better than I hoped.
* With the new confidence in getting to white, I felt pretty good using lighter colors and having a sense that this could be perceived as a white appiration.
* Still the darkest grey wasn't dark enough. Tried adding black and going back in, but it kind of made it more spotty than I hoped.
* Used a Drakenshade wash to fill in some of the areas, but it's deeper than I wanted, but still does a decent job of not taking away from the other painting.
* Mouth - is there something else I sshoul have done? Maybe make it glowing? Make it dark black? I wasn't sure. Still need some help on that one.
I'll have to make the tombstone pop a little more and lay some ground effects down on the final basing when I get there. To say that this went from a total botched job to something I felt good enough about sharing, this is definitely a win. Big kudos to the classes with RVE and getting to test it immediately to try my hand at something I was weak at. WAY TO GO!
And as always - any feedback is kindly accepted.
Trying something a little different this time. I've got a friend who loves JRR Tolkein and I thought he'd really appreciate a little diorama. Since I have to ship this, I need it small and durable.
Now, I get it that Bilbo's sword Sting glows bright when Goblins are near, but let's just say for this story it's glowing because danger is close. I have him in the stone henge area with a Wraith King coming around the bend. Let's just say this is about to get real...
Starting this on some foam board. I was going to use some chip board, but didn't want the glue and stuff I'd be using for the base to get soaked in and bend.
Using the extruded foam core for the stones. Carving them down was pretty fun. I'm thinking I might add some runes or something into them. I haven't primed them yet, so I still have time.
The ground terrain is kind of fun - I used spackle, glue, sand, and some burnt umber paint. I'll do some grass and floral additions to it. You can see on one of the pillars that I used a different mix to surround the stone. That was the filler without the paint added.
For the circles, I'll be leaving those open to put the minis into and can be taken out on their own. I'll be basing them to match the surrounding area, but Iike the idea of taking them out of the diorama when wanted.
Open for any and all suggestions here. We're still far from done.
For my Children of the Night Project I'm building a Gothic style Undead army with some Demon allies.
Here is the Necropolis Command Group I will use as a Command for a regiment later.
Who's Online 20 Members, 2 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)