Corsair

Mass mini prep ideas

Okay, in the next month or so the CAV Kickstarter will be coming in and I will have a ton of minis to paint. I am needing an easy/simple way to prep the minis before priming with an airbrush assembly line style. I am leaning towards just getting a gallon of isoporyl alcohol and soaking for an hour or so, but do you think it would be better to use a soak in dish washing detergent then rinsing?

• Like 3

Bones?  I fill a sink with water, put some soft soap on my hands and lather, then grab a handful of figures.  Get 'em all soapy then drop in the water.  Repeat.  Rinse (don't lose any bits down the drain)  and drop on a dry towel. Leave overnight. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Bones?  I fill a sink with water, put some soft soap on my hands and lather, then grab a handful of figures.  Get 'em all soapy then drop in the water.  Repeat.  Rinse (don't lose any bits down the drain)  and drop on a dry towel. Leave overnight. 

Similar to me. I pop the figures in a bin, pour a little soap on them, then foam it up with water and leave them there until whenever I am done doing other stuff. Then I rinse them and let them dry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I endorse @Inarah ‘s method with a slight modification. Use one of these:

s-l640.jpg

...instead of a sink. Clear walls are a must. Style of lid optional. A size smaller than 12 gallons recommended. 

But otherwise: water and surfactants. Insert minis. Swirl. Rinse. Fluffy towel to dry.

Edited by TGP
forgot rinse
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am now always doing a multi-hour soak in isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) for any Bones figures I paint. It reduces the floppiness enough that it's noticeable and seems to also make the figures less hydrophobic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First, thank you all for the input. Well, yesterday I had to clean and prep some minis for assembly and priming. I had picked up some 70% isoporyl alcohol and decided to try that. A quick 5 minute soak and drying on some paper towels resulted in very easy to assemble and prime minis. Once the KS gets here I will use the bucket with soap water idea as it doesn't smell and for the big batch coming in will be far more cost effective. But for one or two minis, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the alcohol did overall.

• Like 3

[Remembers Bones 1, with a sink, a toothbrush, soapy water, and a pot of boiling water for the stubborn bends]

How about a tub of water and Simple Green? It'll remove whatever ails you.

The only downside is that with a ton of unassembled minis, it's a lot of loose parts to keep track of.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

If you're soaking a lot of multi-part minis at once, how about either tea filters ("make your own tea bag" sort of things) or soaking them in a partitioned container, like a tackle box?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

I am now always doing a multi-hour soak in isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) for any Bones figures I paint. It reduces the floppiness enough that it's noticeable and seems to also make the figures less hydrophobic.

Is that before, after, or instead of warm dish-soapy water?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

Is that before, after, or instead of warm dish-soapy water?

I tend to do it last, right before mounting the figure for painting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I tend to do it last, right before mounting the figure for painting.

So you still wash the Bones, you just add the final step of soaking in alcohol for a few hours?

What exactly does this do again?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

If you're soaking a lot of multi-part minis at once, how about either tea filters ("make your own tea bag" sort of things) or soaking them in a partitioned container, like a tackle box?

I totally forgot that I used a colander when I did it.

• Like 2

I was going to use one of those mesh bags that you use for delicate stuff in a washing machine to keep the parts together.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

So you still wash the Bones, you just add the final step of soaking in alcohol for a few hours?

What exactly does this do again?

Thanks!!

I think it removes some of the plasticizer from the model. The effects of this are two-fold:

• Definitely makes the models more rigid, especially the most flexible models. They don't become rigid, but they're definitely more rigid.
  • Seems to reduce the hydrophobic nature of the PVC, making the first coat go on significantly easier.

And since oils are miscible with alcohols, I think it also removes a bit more of any oils added in handling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2