Jordan Peacock

Flashing Post-Apoc Drive-in Theater Sign

That is amazing!  

You did a super job, from conception to execution.

Edit:  Just had to go buy one of those toppers for myself!  The fact that the shape and flashing sequence are jut perfect for any number of retro style signs makes it too good a thing to pass up.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

@Chris Palmer: I suppose the only downsides are:

1) It's one-sided.  For a proper roadside attraction sign, it really ought to have something on BOTH sides.

2) The arrow is pointing DOWN, rather than to the side.  (But since this is a one-sided sign, and I've been converting it to make it two-sided, I suppose it would have been counter to my purposes if it DID point to one side.) 

Normally, the idea would be for the arrow to be pointing you in the direction of the establishment, and presumably that wouldn't mean to go DOWN below the sign.  I tried to work around that by adding the "theater marquee" sign immediately beneath it.  In my original design, I was going to make the whole sign a lot smaller, and have "AFTERGLO Drive-In THEATRE" in the first oval shape, and then put the "now showing" in the more rectangular shape.  Now, my hope is that it looks like the arrow is directing you to look at the "Now Showing" sign, so it makes some sort of sense.

I suppose it could also make sense if the sign were, indeed, directing the viewer to something BENEATH the sign.  I'm reminded of the sign for "The Thorn" in Fallout: New Vegas, which was basically directing any visitors to a manhole cover that provided access to an underground battle arena in a ridiculously over-sized chamber in the sewer system.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

@Chris Palmer: I suppose the only downsides are:

1) It's one-sided.  For a proper roadside attraction sign, it really ought to have something on BOTH sides.

2) The arrow is pointing DOWN, rather than to the side.  (But since this is a one-sided sign, and I've been converting it to make it two-sided, I suppose it would have been counter to my purposes if it DID point to one side.) 

Normally, the idea would be for the arrow to be pointing you in the direction of the establishment, and presumably that wouldn't mean to go DOWN below the sign.  I tried to work around that by adding the "theater marquee" sign immediately beneath it.  In my original design, I was going to make the whole sign a lot smaller, and have "AFTERGLO Drive-In THEATRE" in the first oval shape, and then put the "now showing" in the more rectangular shape.  Now, my hope is that it looks like the arrow is directing you to look at the "Now Showing" sign, so it makes some sort of sense.

I suppose it could also make sense if the sign were, indeed, directing the viewer to something BENEATH the sign.  I'm reminded of the sign for "The Thorn" in Fallout: New Vegas, which was basically directing any visitors to a manhole cover that provided access to an underground battle arena in a ridiculously over-sized chamber in the sewer system.

1)  Yes, being one sided isn't best.  Did you do anything with the other side, or just leave it blank?  Would it be possible to do a "dummy version" of the sign on the reverse that looked basically the same, but just didn't light up?  Can I assume the backside needs to be accessible to turn the thing on and off?  Could the clear plastic packaging shell be used somehow to create a dummy reverse side?

2)  I actually like the sign pointing down.  To me it gives the general idea of "located here".    Whether it's a burger joint or a drive-in, since the sign is up in the air,  it's telling the viewer that this is the place they want to be.  Like X marks the spot.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4

Good job on a great display piece for the table. Really clever use of the bottle sign.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Did you do anything with the other side, or just leave it blank?  Would it be possible to do a "dummy version" of the sign on the reverse that looked basically the same, but just didn't light up?  Can I assume the backside needs to be accessible to turn the thing on and off?  Could the clear plastic packaging shell be used somehow to create a dummy reverse side?

Yes, I did.  Yes, it would.  Yes, it has to be.  And, yes, it could be.  :)

That was a large part of the process described in the original post, and made it a degree harder than the original task of just replacing the insert and adding some rust/weathering effects.  The two last pictures show both sides of the now-double-sided sign; the very last photo shows the back side made using the vacu-formed plastic packaging shell.  The side that lights up has a "STOP" sign at its base on the left side.  The reverse side (made using the packaging shell) has a blue Vault-Tec crate at its base on the left side, and a small hole near a corner of the star that is there so I can use a pencil to hit the light-up button for the other side.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Yes, I did.  Yes, it would.  Yes, it has to be.  And, yes, it could be.  :)

That was a large part of the process described in the original post, and made it a degree harder than the original task of just replacing the insert and adding some rust/weathering effects.  The two last pictures show both sides of the now-double-sided sign; the very last photo shows the back side made using the vacu-formed plastic packaging shell.  The side that lights up has a "STOP" sign at its base on the left side.  The reverse side (made using the packaging shell) has a blue Vault-Tec crate at its base on the left side, and a small hole near a corner of the star that is there so I can use a pencil to hit the light-up button for the other side.

Doh, I didn't realize the last two pictures were different sides (now studying the letters on the marquee sign I see it) , and I have to admit I was so excited by the project I had stopped reading carefully by the time I hit the paragraph describing what you did to the back side...::P:

Thanks for clarifying my questions, and for making me go back and read your post fully and more carefully. ::):  And thanks again for the inspiring post to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Doh, I didn't realize the last two pictures were different sides (now studying the letters on the marquee sign I see it) , and I have to admit I was so excited by the project I had stopped reading carefully by the time I hit the paragraph describing what you did to the back side...::P:

I realize those last two pictures could be a bit confusing.  (I have to look for the telltale hole for me to tell which one is for sure the front, and which one is the back.  ;)  )  I went back and added labels so I hope that will help head off any further confusion.  (But then, the fact that I have trouble telling which is front and back without scrutinizing it I suppose speaks well to the potential to make use of that packaging shell to make another sign.  :)  )

• Like 2

OUTSTANDING! That is a GORGEOUS gaming/display board. The Drive-In signing really adds a fine finishing touch to the scene.

Photos of the game should be stunning. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 3

For a little more context, I dug up some more photos I took earlier before I really got started:

Original product, still in package:

70792902_10217514199519394_4774918303506

Back side of bottle-topper (with elastic band and button visible):

70513666_10217514202319464_2691624513702

The battery holder (bottom, held closed by a single Phillips screw) contained 3 small disc watch batteries, and the clear plastic pull tab (still in place in the photo) was inserted between two of those batteries; pulling it out would allow the button to complete the circuit.

In retrospect, I think the raised "hands" images on the back were kind of interesting, and I probably should have taken some impressions of them before covering it all up with plastic and putty.  I could imagine using them for texturing some piece of steampunk machinery, or something from Wonderland No More.  (Eh, that's probably within my ability to simply scribe with some dental tools, though, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much over it.)

• Like 7