Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DocPiske

Clever Paper terrain on Amazon

Recommended Posts

I just watched a YouTube video on the Clever Paper printed and shipped flat card stock terrain found on Amazon. Has anyone tried these? The prices look really good ($12 to $20 and a few higher) and the quality looks pretty good. I think it would be good for Frostgrave and maybe Mordheim. And they have several ships! I think I might have to try one... or a dozen. :rolleyes:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the Fat Dragon card stock terrain and it came out well.  With a sharp knife, cutting mat, and ruler, plus a good amount of patience you can construct some nice terrain.  Yes, they can be addictive. :) 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DocPiske said:

I just watched a YouTube video on the Clever Paper printed and shipped flat card stock terrain found on Amazon. Has anyone tried these? The prices look really good ($12 to $20 and a few higher) and the quality looks pretty good. I think it would be good for Frostgrave and maybe Mordheim. And they have several ships! I think I might have to try one... or a dozen. :rolleyes:

 

The Questing Beast video? I saw it too.

 

And ordered one of the ships, because the price seemed reasonable to give it a shot. I'll let you know what I think of it when it shows up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a whole bunch of Clever Paper/Umbum buildings (and a ship or two) directly from a seller in Russia.  Unfortunately for me, I also found out Battle Systems (makers of modular cardstock terrain) would be doing a fantasy terrain Kickstarter, a few weeks AFTER I'd placed the Clever Paper order :wacko:.  So I set the Clever Paper stuff aside when it arrived, to be revisited once I'd seen what Battle Systems was going to offer. 

 

Now that the KS is over, I should go ahead and go through the Clever Paper stuff, decide what I want to keep still, and share some photos of anything I assemble.

Edited by breegull
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of the clever paper stuff, and most of it is in scale, but compared to Reaper it may seem small. The bigger the base you like on your mini, the worse this is for you. My favorite is the castle wall kit, because it connects to other castle wall kits as well as the gatehouse, and it has a clever* way of making the walls so they can be straight or curved and back again, making it more organic looking and useable for more situations.

Raging Owlbear has a review of them. https://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2019/05/dnd-cheap-village-terrain.html

 

It is very relaxing to build these as you don't need tape, knives, nor glue, just the included toothpick to punch out hard to get slots.

 

Though the ships do tend to be too small.

 

Halber

*pun intended.

Edited by Halberkill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the ships I was most interested in, but they did look a bit small for gaming on.

 

Holding out hope for a Reaper Bones V pirate ship.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Brigantine model last night. Very nice looking model, but rigging it is a serious pain in the behindmost parts. I spent about 60-90 minutes on the hull and masts and maybe 2-3 hours on rigging with another 90 minutes or so to go.

 

Scaling isn't bad for a small ship, the details look decent with Reaper minis. But it's not a frigate with a crew of 100. Probably work fairly well for an adventuring group.

 

When I finish it (hopefully today), I'll try to get some pics up with minis for scale (though not Forscale).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, Halberkill said:

I have a lot of the clever paper stuff, and most of it is in scale, but compared to Reaper it may seem small. The bigger the base you like on your mini, the worse this is for you. My favorite is the castle wall kit, because it connects to other castle wall kits as well as the gatehouse, and it has a clever* way of making the walls so they can be straight or curved and back again, making it more organic looking and useable for more situations.

Raging Owlbear has a review of them. https://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2019/05/dnd-cheap-village-terrain.html

 

It is very relaxing to build these as you don't need tape, knives, nor glue, just the included toothpick to punch out hard to get slots.

 

Though the ships do tend to be too small.

 

Halber

*pun intended.

Seeing the assembled products reminds me of the old AD&D Bloodstone Pass boxed set that came with cardstock foldable buildings (I never saw them assembled though).

 

I really should print out the Fat Dragon sets I own. (I also need a game to use them in)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the finished Brigantine, with a few Reaper figures for scale:

 

2019-09-19_Umbum_Brigantine-2362.thumb.jpg.e8e9aa7765091c0132f3b29d2ba590c1.jpg

 

The box says that the model comes with "Cordage", but no cordage was in evidence. You also get 15 flat cardboard figures (28mm to the eyes) that have tabs, but my kit had no bases into which to put the tabs.

 

Since I had cord and don't really need flats, neither of those was a particular problem for me.

 

Price was $23.90 US delivered, tax included, which I thought was very fair for what I got.

 

Warning: this took 5-7 hours to build (including some breaks), much of which time was rigging. The rigging is pretty fiddly.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Price was $23.90 US delivered, tax included, which I thought was very fair for what I got.

Thanks Doug for posting that photo.

Sizewise with the minis, it doesn't look too bad.

And while as was said it’s not a large ship, it’s a good size for adventuring.

Definitely will be keeping it in mind.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lowlylowlycook said:

That looks really, really  nice but I'm not convinced that rigging a ship is the best plan for a game piece. 

 

Probably isn't, but it looks nice and will spend most of its time not being used in a game, so I decided to rig it anyway. It's not actually all that difficult to get to the deck for gaming, but it would definitely be easier if I hadn't done as much of the rigging.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife picked me up an entire village of this stuff when she was in russia so I got it very cheap. It looks good and is very sturdy. Scale is 25mm, so it works great for old ral partha, but small for reaper and warhammer. I use it for outdoor stuff in towns etc, because the difference in scale for this isnt bad and nobody goes inside the buildings. I always like oversized interior anyway, because you can fit 10 people in an elevator but only one mini, so scale is whacked inside realistically sized buildings anyway. The ships are ok, but small. I think they are supposed to be this, small medieval ships not the massive age of sail ships that often make it into fantasy campaigns. BTW Amazon is overpriced. Go to Umbum or there is another Russian importer (whose name I forget) where a building shouldnt cost more than $8-10 and if you dont order the galleon or cathedral sized buildings, shipping isnt too bad.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...