Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

Aaand that makes me a double Star Colonel now.  Going to be a lot of Inner Sphere mechs headed my way, with some (two trinaries) of clan mechs.  Sounds like the survey for the second one will come later on, but such is life - the credit would be going towards a set of Tukayyid maps anyways. 

Now to just get some assembling done, clear a bit of room on the painting desk, and get at least one of the factions started with the minis I have so far... 

• Like 4

Yup, if they get my credit in, I will be doing that too. I wasn't too sure about the t-shirts until I saw they re being done by a company only 20 miles from here that does GREAT work!

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 2:20 AM, WhiteWulfe said:

Aaand that makes me a double Star Colonel now.  Going to be a lot of Inner Sphere mechs headed my way, with some (two trinaries) of clan mechs.  Sounds like the survey for the second one will come later on, but such is life - the credit would be going towards a set of Tukayyid maps anyways. 

Now to just get some assembling done, clear a bit of room on the painting desk, and get at least one of the factions started with the minis I have so far... 

You know... a Star Colonel should really have a proper cluster to command. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, klarg1 said:

You know... a Star Colonel should really have a proper cluster to command. :devil:

I really wanted my Inner Sphere mechs I grew up with, so there is that.  For now, a trinary of Wolf and a trinary of Coyote will suffice. 

Plenty of Inner Sphere dogs to gun down. Err, I mean Kell Hounds and Wolf's Dragoons, yes. Although I'm still debating on the Dragoons. 

Besides, there's always combined arms, even if that's more a Hell's Horses thing, but still.  I'd sooner paint everything blue and black versus ghost flames... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I really wanted my Inner Sphere mechs I grew up with, so there is that.  For now, a trinary of Wolf and a trinary of Coyote will suffice. 

Plenty of Inner Sphere dogs to gun down. Err, I mean Kell Hounds and Wolf's Dragoons, yes. Although I'm still debating on the Dragoons. 

Besides, there's always combined arms, even if that's more a Hell's Horses thing, but still.  I'd sooner paint everything blue and black versus ghost flames... 

have you considered marik! home of the angiest purplest bird in the inner sphere, and just throwing tanks at a problem until it goes away!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I couldn't decide what to do for colours and we swap mechs around a lot too so I just started painting up lances in simple patterns. I've done 4 each of blue with yellow, red with silver and grey with blue. Oldest son likes yellow so next lance is going to be yellow with black. As more mechs come in I'll add more to each of those schemes. About the only real set idea is that the couple of Kurita mechs I have will go with the reds and Steiner with the greys and then any duplicate mechs will get done in one of the other colours. At the moment I only have 20 mech minis but I'm hunting for a cheaper set of the 2014 Intro box with 26, when the Wave 1 of the KS shows up it'll add another 26 and then Wave 2 another 47.

• Like 4

The vast majority of my mechs are currently painted dark grey with decal numbers to tell them apart (I routinely buy 2 of each specific mech model, for when I want to use two at the same time). With the new nu-seen I'm starting to paint the khaki instead, to differentiate. I do occasionally paint some mechs with custom schemes, especially if I'm doing a con game or specific scenario during campaigns. But most of my mechs are painted generically so they can be whatever I want them to be...

Damon.

• Like 4

@Lars Porsenna a suggestion, if you don't mind. Use different colors on the bases to give an easy, but also easily ignored if need be, to differentiate forces.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

have you considered marik! home of the angiest purplest bird in the inner sphere, and just throwing tanks at a problem until it goes away!

Haven't considered them, but a quick glance at this unit PDF I have does look enticing, at least for options.  Lore wise, I can't say anything because I never developed an opinion of the FWL.  Actually, I never really built up any opinions on most of the houses, tending to prefer to follow mercenary units..! 

I suspect though, after a bit of thought I'll wind up using the metal minis have for a Crescent Hawk force, because they were known for having somewhat unconventional tactics and supplies.  That and I figure the easiest way to avoid the whole potential for scale issues between IWM models and the new plastics is to use my current metal force to build a nice all metal force or something. 

Metal clan forces will be Hell's Horses, since as much as I want to "fight" it, I know I'm going to wind up picking up those starter packs since there's discount codes one can use..  They will get some plastic minis too, mainly because the easiest (and cheapest) way to get elementals at the moment is through the Clan Invasion Kickstarter, and then I could add tanks to suit / for taste. 

This also means I'm going to wind up having three clan forces to paint, and probably three Inner Sphere forces too - although I suppose with all the plastic mechs coming in from the Kickstarter I could make one gigantic Kell Hounds unit... 

Really hoping Kickstarter 2 for BattleTech is combined forces, with a good selection of tanks and aircraft! 

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Lars Porsenna a suggestion, if you don't mind. Use different colors on the bases to give an easy, but also easily ignored if need be, to differentiate forces.

I've contemplated the idea of a magnet hidden within the base and then have sort of small - but colour coded - element I can attach to said bases in case I've painted them one way but they're being repurposed that fight for opposing forces or something. 

Wonder how well it would work. 

• Like 4

After more though, yeah, I'm liking the idea of the following for my forces... 

CGL Clan Invasion Kickstarter:

- Trinary of Clan Wolf mechs

- Trinary of Clan Coyote mechs

- "way too many" Kell Hounds 

And then in metal... 

- Clan Hell's Horses (trinary of mechs, trinary of CGL Clan Invasion Kickstarter Elementals, and a mix-mash trinary of aerospace and armor!) 

- Crescent Hawks (several lances) 

I would have considered the IWM Elementals, as they're more the "classic" look I'm used to, but on the flipside they're effectively the same cost as the CGL ones, and the CGL ones are already based.  Naturally I reserve the right to say screw it and get IWM Elementals as well... 

This will give me more than enough minis to paint for the next little while I suspect...  And a good amount of armour too, I suspect.. 

• Like 2

How badly do I want a resculpted Marauder II and Crusader? Badly enough to pay for an extra lance pack?

Hard to say.

• Like 4

I got two of the direct fire lances because, well, yeah, that previewed Orion was pretty gorgeous looking.  Oh, it was the Crusader that they showcased in linework.  Even better, because yeah, I want all four of those in the lance...

• Like 3

I may be able to get in for some Mechs in the kickstarter, but in the meantime I have completely lost my marbles and started the fiddly work of assembling the destroids from the failed kickstarter (not the new stuff that looks gorgeous).  Working on a pair of Spartans Archers first.  Already had a couple Tomahawks Warhammers done and painted, but will need to rebase.

• Like 6