Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

The Clan Invasion KS is my official entrance into the world of Battletech mini wargaming. I'd played a couple games with a buddy's starter set Mech. The PDF I have is of a Battlemaster BLR-1D so that's probably the one I used. So far it's been rough for a rookie Mechwarrior. At least one I got knocked over onto my face and then further damaged by my opponent. Lost both games but with my own stuff I'll make sure things will change.

Since it's called Clan Invasion I decided to go clan my first time out but have plans to expand into an Inner Sphere "army." I plan to begin as a member of Clan Jade Falcon since that's the one I picked in my initial set up. After awhile I'll probably switch to Ghost Bear. I like both styles for different reasons. At least to me for now Jade Falcon seems more typical of a clan and Ghost Bear gives that nice bit of difference when I want it. Once I go Inner Sphere it's Federated Suns all the way until I want to play someone from the other side such as Capellan Confederation. Either way my only known opponent is confirmed to be Draconis Combine. Some metal feet will have to be put in places they aren't designed for.

• Like 5

Ok. Got one assembled. What a pain in the butt.  I'm sorry, but it shouldn't take three pieces to assemble an arm. Need to cut some bases for these guys too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Ok. Got one assembled. What a pain in the butt.  I'm sorry, but it shouldn't take three pieces to assemble an arm. Need to cut some bases for these guys too.

I have to agree.  There are some interesting methods in some of the sculpts.  I'm getting my practice in for awkward four buttons at once pushes on an Elektron device though, thanks to these minis, since with some it's been a case of attaching legs to the torso at the same time the legs are going into the base... And then shortly after it's the arms going in too. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Flying Toaster said:

The Clan Invasion KS is my official entrance into the world of Battletech mini wargaming. I'd played a couple games with a buddy's starter set Mech. The PDF I have is of a Battlemaster BLR-1D so that's probably the one I used. So far it's been rough for a rookie Mechwarrior. At least one I got knocked over onto my face and then further damaged by my opponent. Lost both games but with my own stuff I'll make sure things will change.

Since it's called Clan Invasion I decided to go clan my first time out but have plans to expand into an Inner Sphere "army." I plan to begin as a member of Clan Jade Falcon since that's the one I picked in my initial set up. After awhile I'll probably switch to Ghost Bear. I like both styles for different reasons. At least to me for now Jade Falcon seems more typical of a clan and Ghost Bear gives that nice bit of difference when I want it. Once I go Inner Sphere it's Federated Suns all the way until I want to play someone from the other side such as Capellan Confederation. Either way my only known opponent is confirmed to be Draconis Combine. Some metal feet will have to be put in places they aren't designed for.

Welcome to the Forum and to Battletech! The Battlemaster has several different variants, the one you have was the most common 3025 one. Where it shines is in the 5-9 hex range, use those medium lasers and SRMs first, then when heat is okay add the PPC in. Get the 2 TROs that are available in PDF form, they will have almost all of the mechs you will be using. The rulebook with the Clan Starter will have information on Double Heat Sinks and new weapons, between that one and the one in the basic AGOAC set you will have more than enough to play. There have been so few rule changes in CBT in the 35 years of it's existence you can still use a rulebook from the first release!

• Like 3

Dunno, the Beemer has a bubble o' death at 3 hexes, where everything is at short range. That's when you alpha strike! I would reverse firing order: use the PPC at anything above 6 hexes, close to 3 hexes & unload.

Damon.

• Like 6

Got the second Archer I was working on assembled....I think.  Glues weren't setting right on it and I'm not happy with how the arms look.  Really bringing back so many frustrations with that whole kickstarter. 

In other mech related news, I got a belated Christmas check so I went ahead and got in on the Clan Invasion at the Star Captain level.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Got the second Archer I was working on assembled....I think.  Glues weren't setting right on it and I'm not happy with how the arms look.  Really bringing back so many frustrations with that whole kickstarter. 

In other mech related news, I got a belated Christmas check so I went ahead and got in on the Clan Invasion at the Star Captain level.

Have you looked at the Kids Logic Robotech minis out now?  Highly detailed resin, usually 2-4 pieces.

And I was just looking at all my spues from that terrible KS the other day...I should really put them together someday.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh man, those Kids Logic ones are so gorgeous.  Tempted to pick some up in a little bit. Still debating about the Monster though, given it's cost. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh man, those Kids Logic ones are so gorgeous.  Tempted to pick some up in a little bit. Still debating about the Monster though, given it's cost. 

FYI, Aries Games & Miniatures has some in in the US, if you don't want to wait on an order from Hong Kong....no cheaper at this time, but he's working on getting the price down to his usual discount.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

FYI, Aries Games & Miniatures has some in in the US, if you don't want to wait on an order from Hong Kong....no cheaper at this time, but he's working on getting the price down to his usual discount.

I have to let a few things recover from the wave one purchases in the Kickstarter *laughs nervously*

But I'll definitely keep them in mind, because closer is always nice, even if USPS has extravagant shipping rates. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Have you looked at the Kids Logic Robotech minis out now?  Highly detailed resin, usually 2-4 pieces.

And I was just looking at all my spues from that terrible KS the other day...I should really put them together someday.....

I have, but despite their annoying design "features" the Robotech Tactics figure have the advantage of already being in my possession.

• Like 5

On 2/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, Sergeant_Crunch said:

The Regult Scout pod darn near broke me.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Get thee back, foul demon of temptation!

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/5/2020 at 2:54 PM, Corsair said:

Welcome to the Forum and to Battletech! The Battlemaster has several different variants, the one you have was the most common 3025 one. Where it shines is in the 5-9 hex range, use those medium lasers and SRMs first, then when heat is okay add the PPC in. Get the 2 TROs that are available in PDF form, they will have almost all of the mechs you will be using. The rulebook with the Clan Starter will have information on Double Heat Sinks and new weapons, between that one and the one in the basic AGOAC set you will have more than enough to play. There have been so few rule changes in CBT in the 35 years of it's existence you can still use a rulebook from the first release!

Isn't the BLR-1D from one of the historical books? I think it ditches the missiles for armor and heat sinks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Isn't the BLR-1D from one of the historical books? I think it ditches the missiles for armor and heat sinks

Yup, dropped the 2 rear medium lasers and the SRM rack and added heat sinks, up to 24, so still had a PPC, 4 medium lasers and 2 machine guns.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, klarg1 said:

The Regult Scout pod darn near broke me.

Get thee back, foul demon of temptation!

Funnily enough, this was just posted as a teaser by Kids Logic......

Image may contain: text

• Like 5
  • Haha 1