Battletech Thread

Corsair

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my Ender3 printer running last week and have been happily making mechs since getting it dialed in. The are really good for tabletop quality, better than I expected with a FDM printer, from 2-3' away, they are great! The printer has now "broke even" with the mechs printed and is now going to pay for it's own dinner around here, as the mechs cost less than a dime to make and from IWM would have been 130-180 US. Also, some Starfinder stuff has found it's way in too...

Anyway, here are the mechs, with comparison mechs along side.

Back row

Marauder 3D, Black Lanner 3D, Kodiak 3D, Marauder 2C 3D

Middle row

Hellhounds/Conjurers IWM 3D, Marauders 3D Plastic from old Starter, Warhammer 2C 3D Mechforce UK

Front row

Shadowcats IWM 3D, Shadowhawks AGOAC 3D

n1TkXSf.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, year and a half since any Battletech talk here. My how things have changed for me in that time. Now that the Clans KS is fulfilling I was curious what people are doing? It's rare that I don't have plans for what I buy but I seem to be in that situation now. Tons of minis but no real solid ideas of what to do with them other than play semi random games. Oldest son moved away a couple weeks ago and he was the person I played with 90+% of the time. Looks like he'll be coming home pretty regularly for weekends for the time being though. 

I have plans (maybe thoughts?) of designing a campaign system similar to the Chaos Campaigns that are already available. I have several books with a ton of info and ideas for doing that but some of them are a bit of info overload. I find campaigns make it just a little more interesting than one off battles. Less suicidal attacks and hold outs because you want to preserve something for the next battle while achieving objectives. Plus I always love watching my troops gain experience and a bit of history in any game I play. 

Even though I bought into the Clan timeline I tend to like 3025 way better. I tried to buy or print a model for every mech in the original 3025 Tech Readout from waaaaaay back. I think I'm only missing the Ostsol and Ostscout. I'm not in love with them so no worries about not having them. Also printed a few models of other newer mechs I liked from videogames. I now have about 50 Clan and Comstar mechs and am thinking of making 3025 versions of them instead of using them according to canon. Got enough other stuff to play with right now that this isn't a high priority unless the kid really wants to use a clan mini now. It's been years since I fooled much with designing things using clan tech so it'll be amusing to see how many weapons they lose in the downgrade. I have Solaris Skunk Werks so designing things is pretty simple and I've got records off hundreds of mechs and other vehicles.

Main priority right now is to try and memorise/recognise the various mechs. There's a bunch I keep forgetting and some changed their look just enough to mess me up too.

• Like 2

You could try using the new Alpha Strike rules for your campaign. Maybe so much allowed for each Pip to be repaired, etc. for the campaign. And the Comstar mechs I got are getting SLDF Olive Drab paint scheme, which will also let me use them for Clan Wolverine, if I ever want to run the Annihilation battle. Fighting Piranha has all the decals I need. I was surprised on one thing though, I got curious about how CAV minis would look with the new Battletech minis and took a pic with some side by side. The medium to smaller CAVs could proxy pretty well, and the vehicles I think will work very well.

CBT CAV.jpg

• Like 3

Those look good together.

I grabbed the Alphastrike rules but haven't really looked them over too close. I have several books with advice and rules for campaigns and I'm just trying to pick and choose what I want from them. Mostly we were playing either random battles or the Chaos Campaign Succession War rules. Haven't played since last winter but thinking of setting up some games for when the oldest comes home on weekends. May have to try Alphastrike out just to get more mechs on the table now that I have so many.

Because I'm a sucker for having lots of options I've been thinking about printing some tanks/vehicles and installations. Maybe some infantry. Looking at the new mechs compared to my older ones they've definitely grown but are soooo nice. Even though I've always seen Battletech listed as 6mm scale I'm thinking that 10mm infantry and vehicles might look better with these mechs. Great part about printing them myself is I can resize them however I want.

Next project is coming up with storage for all the mechs now and maybe printing a handful that I don't have minis for yet. Found some nice stls for everything I want except a Javelin already.

• Like 2

@Corsair or anyone else, ever try out https://megamek.org/. Just learned about it today. As my oldest boy/main game player is now 150 km from me I thought we might try it out. Just downloaded it and am starting to read up.

On the minis front I've final compiled my lists of what I have and want. If I can sell off a few extra mechs and my unwanted swag from the KS I'll have 135 mechs. Over 2/3 of them are Inner Sphere. At the moment I have plans for printing a few more mechs and have been printing some elemental points to try and tune my 3D printer. My latest printed mechs didn't turn out the best but are usable. The elementals are looking pretty good considering it's an fdm printer. Maybe some year I'll even paint some of them. ::P: Thinking of printing some infantry and tanks too. Maybe some buildings although I haven't quite figured out whether to do map scale or make things that would match the models size better.

• Like 2

Looked like I was going to sell everything at once real fast but shipping broke the deal. May have almost everything sold to several people now but waiting on confirmations. I'll send you a pm if things fall through. Only selling 4 mechs and most of the other swag.

• Like 2

I've been trying it out the last couple of days. I've mentioned information overload in regards to all the Battletech material before. This is a good example of that. Soooooo many options to figure out. I'm trying Against the Bot campaign in MekHQ and getting wiped in my first battles. 

Haven't been on the internet much lately but I've had major Battletech on the brain lately. Seriously all my spare time has been taken up by it lately. Mostly MekHQ/Megamek. Been slowly working my way through campaigns and tweaking more and more settings as I learn what I'm doing. Play online versus the kid in the city sometimes and we had a tabletop game when he was down on the weekend. Downloaded yet another rulebook to help figure out some things in MekHQ. Think I have pdfs now for every level of play including things I'd never intended.

Painted a bunch of mechs over the last 2-3 weeks. Now have red company and grey company finished, 12 mechs each and half a dozen for blue company. Even though the colour schemes are basic I'm happy with how they're turning out. Need to take some pics. Was thinking of doing 4 different basic colours/companies but still haven't decided what the 4th will be. Most likely I'll use all the clan mechs as the fourth faction and just fill out the existing ones with more mechs. Like the red ones the best so from now on any duplicate mechs will be painted red. Wasn't exactly sure how to divide things up so stuck the Kurita specific mechs into red, Steiner specific mechs into grey and then did random rolls to fill things out trying to keep equal amounts of each class in each colour. So far 2 assault, 3 heavy, 4 medium and 3 light for each.

• Like 3

Still chugging away at Battletech. Been playing a lot of MegaMek/MechHQ and the occasional game with my oldest when he's home on weekends. Unsurprisingly I did get carried away making my forces. So glad to have a 3D printer and that there are a ton of mech stls out there. Did do some redesigning of some things to make them match the new KS mechs or old school style better. I think I have one mech left to print for my two main forces. Ended up with 60 mechs for each force, 15 of each weight class. No duplicates within each force except a couple Locust variants for each. Plus 15 mechs for a third force that's a low priority for painting and 30 or so Clan mechs that are lowest priority. It's gotten to be a lot of mechs and I'm almost ready to switch to something else for awhile. Really need to take some pics. Not the fanciest paint jobs but I like them. Still a lot left to paint.

A teaser of a Thunderbolt I just modified from Matt Mason's files to look a little more like the traditional model sliced and ready to print in the morning.

image.thumb.png.687ee9ab0703138b29b66867c17be6f4.png

• Like 2