Corsair

Battletech Thread

Each stand has 5 Elementals on it. So 5 stands is a Star, 10 a Binary, etc.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Each stand has 5 Elementals on it. So 5 stands is a Star, 10 a Binary, etc.

but dark age power armor stands don't have 5 models per stand unless they are tiny like the PAL suit I forget if the actual elemental is 2 per or 3 per

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

but dark age power armor stands don't have 5 models per stand unless they are tiny like the PAL suit I forget if the actual elemental is 2 per or 3 per

Huh! I went and looked and you are right, it is 3 on the stand. Well, I will use them anyway, and they are cheap enough that if you want you could easily chop them off the bases and use 5. It will still be a lot cheaper than the the metal ones or even the new pack from the KS.

Now, it will bug me until I decide if I'm gonna chop them or not........rats!

Edited by Corsair
  • Haha 3

How do the mechwarrior clicky mechs compare to Battletech ones? Since I'm not super happy with my printed standees I'm looking for cheap mechs. Wish I'd bought those dirt cheap Alpha Strike packs I saw a while back. Can't find anything like that now. It's looking like stocking up during the KS is going to be the best option. I thought maybe I'd find the poorer quality ones from older box sets cheaper but even they are rare and not my kind of cheap.

Just bought the pdf map packs off drive though rpg. I'm trying to figure out how to print them so the hexes match the old maps I have (which I think is still the current standard size. The quality I'm printing is nice but the hexes are a fraction small, which is mentioned in the instructions. I don't mind losing a bit on the edges if the hexes are the right size. I'm going to be in a town with a print shop tomorrow and I'm considering seeing if they can do the poster size (18" x 22") and what it would cost.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zink said:

How do the mechwarrior clicky mechs compare to Battletech ones?

They look pretty decent to me. I picked up quite a few, largely for the non-mech figures, when they were originally on sale and didn't find the paint jobs or castings bad at all.

• Like 3

The biggest problem is that Battletech minis are roughly 1/285 scale while the Mechwarrior Dark Age mechs are 1/160 scale. A really noticeable difference. The difference is not as noticeable with infantry, but mechs, yeah.

• Like 3

Yes, the clickys are double the size. They also won't really fit in a hex, bases being twice as big if not more...

If you are patient the last Battletech kickstarted got  A LOT of plastic funded, & these are going to be in general release eventually...

Damon.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Zink said:

How do the mechwarrior clicky mechs compare to Battletech ones? Since I'm not super happy with my printed standees I'm looking for cheap mechs. Wish I'd bought those dirt cheap Alpha Strike packs I saw a while back. Can't find anything like that now. It's looking like stocking up during the KS is going to be the best option. I thought maybe I'd find the poorer quality ones from older box sets cheaper but even they are rare and not my kind of cheap.

Just bought the pdf map packs off drive though rpg. I'm trying to figure out how to print them so the hexes match the old maps I have (which I think is still the current standard size. The quality I'm printing is nice but the hexes are a fraction small, which is mentioned in the instructions. I don't mind losing a bit on the edges if the hexes are the right size. I'm going to be in a town with a print shop tomorrow and I'm considering seeing if they can do the poster size (18" x 22") and what it would cost.

If you just need some good looking robots to stomp across your maps, you could always trot out some Bones CAVs. They are pretty affordable, and look the part.

If you do, I recommend sticking with the smaller CAV models, as the larger ones are much more in scale with the Mechwarrior Clix than they are with Battletech, and have the same problems fitting on the map that others have mentioned. Reaper's plastic hex bases should fit on the map without trouble. (They are actually a bit smaller than traditional Battletech hex bases from Ironwind Metals.)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

Yes, the clickys are double the size. They also won't really fit in a hex, bases being twice as big if not more...

If you are patient the last Battletech kickstarted got  A LOT of plastic funded, & these are going to be in general release eventually...

Damon.

I'm in on the kickstarter but was thinking of bulking up my forces sooner and cheaper. Doesn't look like either is happening. After a bit of searching I think buying as much as I can in the KS is the way to go.

8 hours ago, klarg1 said:

If you just need some good looking robots to stomp across your maps, you could always trot out some Bones CAVs. They are pretty affordable, and look the part.

If you do, I recommend sticking with the smaller CAV models, as the larger ones are much more in scale with the Mechwarrior Clix than they are with Battletech, and have the same problems fitting on the map that others have mentioned. Reaper's plastic hex bases should fit on the map without trouble. (They are actually a bit smaller than traditional Battletech hex bases from Ironwind Metals.)

I was considering it for some more variety but have never seen any of the CAV minis in person. I'd want them to be fairly close to the mechs and don't know which ones match the best.

Gave my map pdfs to the printer today. They can't do card stock so I'll be gluing them onto something sturdier at home but at least the maps will be the right scale and full size. Well until I chop them into quarters. Will pick them up on Friday.

• Like 2

The CAV mechs are larger than BT so be advised, the Sabertooth is about the largest that might be acceptable with BT mechs.

• Like 2

The Halberd and Khan make a pretty plausible Warhammer and Locust, respectively, especially if you swap the Halberd’s gun pods for single guns.

The Imperator would make a good Marauder, if you added a top gun.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, klarg1 said:

The Halberd and Khan make a pretty plausible Warhammer and Locust, respectively, especially if you swap the Halberd’s gun pods for single guns.

The Imperator would make a good Marauder, if you added a top gun.

Nightshade is very Marauderish, but it is very big. 

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
Autocorrect turned but into buy
  • Like 2

So over the weekend me and my oldest (16) started a Succesion Wars Chaos campaign using the pdf off the Battletech website. Did 2 battles only messing up the rules a bit. His company was designed by just grabbing all the metal mechs my friend and I have had for 30 years. It actually works out as a fairly balanced group. My company was designed by more or less randomly grabbing mechs of the same weight out of the stack of record sheets I printed off from the rulebook pdf and another one. My company is a bit lacking in long range firepower.

First was a meeting engagement between 2 lances of light and medium mechs. It was pretty bloody and very close. Not sure who should have won but I withdrew and gave the win to the kid. Highlight of the game was having my commando's head kicked off by one of his mediums standing at a higher level. We each had one mech totally destroyed and I lost a veteran pilot. He made one custom mech before we started playing and of course it was the only one of his permanently destroyed.

2nd game was the Breakthrough scenario. Rules were that he got to use 75% of his companies total tonnage vs 60% of mine. He had to get 50% of his mechs off my map edge. He had 8 mechs which was a heck of a jump in game size considering it's his 4th game. I was using mostly mechs I wasn't familiar with. I had 5 mechs total. I was able to cause 3 off his mechs to withdraw and destroyed 1. He caused 2 of mine to withdraw and destroyed 1. I ran away after a hard fit because I had 2 badly wounded mechs vs 3 lightly wounded heavy and assault mechs near the finish. I didn't think I could have taken down one of his big guys before  they got off map so I saved my injured mechs for the next battle.

Today we need to repair and do any purchases in between battles and if he's willing do another battle. He's really enjoying it so far. If he wins the next battle the campaign's over. 

• Like 8