Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

The only King Crab I've run into was in the last battle of the campaign. It nearly shredded the Star League Atlas II that I had to keep alive as part of my objectives. They look kind of cool too. I hate facing mechs with AC20s and 2 at once is a special kind of nasty. 

2 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

The tragedy (if memory serves) is that it lacks the hard points to mount 4 AC/5s.

(A statement which feels weird to express, as a long-term tabletop player)

One mod I never installed removes the hard points from the game so you can modify the mechs how you want. Thought about trying it but I don't know if it would work with all the mechs in the Community Assets Bundle or just the ones from the core game. One thing I found a little odd in all my playing was how many rare variant mechs I ran into. Hunchbacks with LRMs just seems wrong to me. Not sure about catapults with PPCs instead of LRMs either although that is a version I've seen on the table. Sometimes when assembling a mech from parts I didn't know which version to build because I don't have all the extra letters memorised. I'm mostly familiar with the versions from the 80s.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 4:57 PM, Zink said:

The only King Crab I've run into was in the last battle of the campaign. It nearly shredded the Star League Atlas II that I had to keep alive as part of my objectives. They look kind of cool too. I hate facing mechs with AC20s and 2 at once is a special kind of nasty. 

One mod I never installed removes the hard points from the game so you can modify the mechs how you want. Thought about trying it but I don't know if it would work with all the mechs in the Community Assets Bundle or just the ones from the core game. One thing I found a little odd in all my playing was how many rare variant mechs I ran into. Hunchbacks with LRMs just seems wrong to me. Not sure about catapults with PPCs instead of LRMs either although that is a version I've seen on the table. Sometimes when assembling a mech from parts I didn't know which version to build because I don't have all the extra letters memorised. I'm mostly familiar with the versions from the 80s.

It's just as well.

For what it's worth, the original Technical Readout 3025 hinted at a bunch of wacky alternate Hunchbacks, but didn't spell them out in much detail. Subsequent products gave game statistics for a bunch, including the LRM-equipped HBK-4J. ^_^

Those are all brain cells I will never get back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

If anybody ever needs the stats from older original TROs, I have them all so I can get them for you.

I have the original 3025, 3028, 3050, 3055 and 2750 TROs and have the Solaris Skunkworks program for designing and printing sheets with a ton of already made mechs in the files. I'm set for mech stats just a little overwhelmed by the numbers of variants. Old geezer voice, "Back in my day when you saw a warhammer or a hunchback you knew what it meant. None of this LRMs on a close combat mech foolishness!" ::D:

Haven't played on the table for a couple weeks but more than made up for that on the computer. Only a few more days and I get ahold of the new starter boxes and double my numbers of actual minis. Really need to figure out how I'll paint them.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Zink said:

Really need to figure out how I'll paint them.

Yeah, me too.  I'm kind of leaning towards one inner sphere group, and just one clan faction, but it's hard to decide, to say the least.  So many options for colours, to say the least. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yeah, me too.  I'm kind of leaning towards one inner sphere group, and just one clan faction, but it's hard to decide, to say the least.  So many options for colours, to say the least. 

Big part of my problem is that I need to build at least 2 forces and we swap between battles often. Sort of like the fluff for Battletech with everybody recycling mechs as much as they can. But I don't feel like repainting them between battles! 

• Like 2

A suggestion for painting: Use 2 basic paint schemes for each force. IE, use two similar camo schemes for the IS, one based on brown and one on green, but similar pattern and numbering. Clans, same way but using a reversed scheme. That way if you want to run a larger force of either, they still work together OR you can run Clan v Clan or IS v IS.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2019 at 2:07 PM, klarg1 said:

It's just as well.

Hide contents

For what it's worth, the original Technical Readout 3025 hinted at a bunch of wacky alternate Hunchbacks, but didn't spell them out in much detail. Subsequent products gave game statistics for a bunch, including the LRM-equipped HBK-4J. ^_^

Those are all brain cells I will never get back.

None of the hunchback variants are actually all that bad. The worst is probably the 4N, and even there it's hard to say something with four medium lasers is worthless in canon introtech. I wouldn't say it is top tier, but probably about the median mark?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Club said:

None of the hunchback variants are actually all that bad. The worst is probably the 4N, and even there it's hard to say something with four medium lasers is worthless in canon introtech. I wouldn't say it is top tier, but probably about the median mark?

In Introtech, if you're trying to figure out how to make a specific mech better, the answer is usually "more medium lasers."

Damon.

• Like 3

So tried out the video game a couple of times on the weekend (Battletech, not MW).

So am I just bad at this or is the first mission of the campaign hard?  I've attempted it 3 or 4 times now and each time I get marginally closer to accomplishing the goal, but haven't actually succeeded yet.  "Back in my day" games would start you off slow with some easy missions to get you going....

• Like 1

Some of the missions are tricky. My last try went very well but some of that is just on the luck of the rolls. Trying to remember how I did it. My mech hanging back while Kamea and Mastiff fight up closer. Concentrate fire on one target at a time, preferably from a flank if possible. First couple of mechs take a bit to kill. The tanks were easy. Move up to just out of firing range on one turn and on the next move ahead a little and kill each tank in turn not allowing the others to return fire. IIRC used the same tactic on the next set of mechs and then on the turrets. As long as no one can see you when the further away units activate they can't shoot at you. Long range turrets can be a real pain when there's one enemy still alive and spotting you. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

So tried out the video game a couple of times on the weekend (Battletech, not MW).

So am I just bad at this or is the first mission of the campaign hard?  I've attempted it 3 or 4 times now and each time I get marginally closer to accomplishing the goal, but haven't actually succeeded yet.  "Back in my day" games would start you off slow with some easy missions to get you going....

Do you mean the Harebrained schemes Battletech game?

I haven't tried the initial mission with all the new content enabled, so I don't know if it makes much difference. I found it to be challenging, but achievable when I played. I'm pretty sure I failed the very final fight in front of the dropship at least once before getting through. If I have one tip for the first mission, it's to make sure to use Kamea's firepower when you can, and not be too defensive with her. You lose if she dies, but her 'mech can inflict a lot of damage quickly.

If you mean more generally, I found the story line missions tough every time, but I also tackled them pretty soon after they became available, and failed some of them several times in a row before moving on. Having said that, the game does not place a time limit on accepting those missions. You have the option of ignoring them for a while while you gather resources and experience. If you wait and "level up" a little bit, they should get easier.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

do you mean the sudden but inevitable betrayal mission, or the one for the mining company?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

do you mean the sudden but inevitable betrayal mission, or the one for the mining company?

The first one.  I usually (after the first time when I had no idea what I was doing) get to the (hopefully) last mech with the turrets and the someone inevitably takes one hit too many.
So close.....I will keep at it. Would probably help if I wasn't firing the game up at 11:30 pm or so.....

• Like 2