Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

10 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

In Introtech, if you're trying to figure out how to make a specific mech better, the answer is usually "more medium lasers."

Damon.

or moar PPC.

preferably both. in heat-neutral brackets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

The first one.  I usually (after the first time when I had no idea what I was doing) get to the (hopefully) last mech with the turrets and the someone inevitably takes one hit too many.
So close.....I will keep at it. Would probably help if I wasn't firing the game up at 11:30 pm or so.....

ok, that sounds like mission 1 with the tutorial on. The mining one is mission 1 if you turn tutorial off. 

Just remember vehicles are weak to melee attacks, and buildings are an easy hit with missiles.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 2

Got the Battletech Starter Box with 2 mechs in it tonight. I was grumbling how the person that printed the maps from pdf for me messed up and they were a bit smaller than the old maps. Turns out they match the new maps perfectly for size. I've been gluing them to poster board to make them tougher. Still not 100% happy with them but I've got lots of maps. Looking forward to getting the main box when we get back home.

I've been downloading and installing old games to the new computer so haven't been playing the videogame the last couple days. Every time I install another game I play it for awhile, just to make sure it works. :poke: Enjoying the high quality graphics this computer runs.

• Like 3

Of course after complaining about it, I had no real problems tonight.

Of course staring off with a headshot on the first mech did help.  But I paid more attention to cover too which definitely helped.

• Like 3

I've found two things to be fairly helpful with regards to staying alive longer, or not losing arms and whatnot in HBS' BattleTech... 

- forests are your friend, especially with that skill that reduces damage further (40% reduction instead of 20% in a forest) 

- keep moving. Evasion pips are insanely handy, especially getting into the 3+ pips area

My issue at the moment is not having 20 day repair periods for my Centurion in MW5.  I'm a bullet sponge at the moment >.>;;;

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Club said:

or moar PPC.

preferably both. in heat-neutral brackets.

Actually I was specifically thinking of the Whammy with my post. Delete the Slases & Mgs, add 2 Mlas & a ton of armor, and you have a very dangerous machine, especially at the 3 hex bubble o' death where everything is at short range, if you wanna alpha strike...

Damon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Of course after complaining about it, I had no real problems tonight.

Of course staring off with a headshot on the first mech did help.  But I paid more attention to cover too which definitely helped.

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I've found two things to be fairly helpful with regards to staying alive longer, or not losing arms and whatnot in HBS' BattleTech... 

- forests are your friend, especially with that skill that reduces damage further (40% reduction instead of 20% in a forest) 

- keep moving. Evasion pips are insanely handy, especially getting into the 3+ pips area

My issue at the moment is not having 20 day repair periods for my Centurion in MW5.  I'm a bullet sponge at the moment >.>;;;

For a lot of the early-middle story line missions, you can short-circuit turret combat by taking out the turrent generator(s). There are places where some well-placed long-range fire can reduce, or even prevent turret damage to your forces.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

For a lot of the early-middle story line missions, you can short-circuit turret combat by taking out the turrent generator(s). There are places where some well-placed long-range fire can reduce, or even prevent turret damage to your forces.

And I've found once you get a pilot with sensor lock it helps a lot. Move them up to almost in sight range and do sensor lock on the nearest tower. Then the other 3 mechs can shoot it from out of danger. Next turn move a little and repeat on the next turret. Depending on placement and mobile enemies it doesn't always work. I tend to focus on killing turrets as quickly as possible. They seem to be more accurate than mechs and even heavies and assaults can't take make turns of getting pounded at long range by tons of AC2s, PPCs and LRMs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Zink said:

And I've found once you get a pilot with sensor lock it helps a lot. Move them up to almost in sight range and do sensor lock on the nearest tower. Then the other 3 mechs can shoot it from out of danger. Next turn move a little and repeat on the next turret. Depending on placement and mobile enemies it doesn't always work. I tend to focus on killing turrets as quickly as possible. They seem to be more accurate than mechs and even heavies and assaults can't take make turns of getting pounded at long range by tons of AC2s, PPCs and LRMs.

All LRM assault turrets must die.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

all lrm ANYTHING must die.

So that's why they ignore three mechs in their faces and go for the Trebuchet I'm in...  Then again, it's rather nice to shove 30 missiles into someone's face....  Doubly so on a called shot! 

Okay, I usually go torso or leg, but still.  It's even more fun when they suddenly decide the Centurion is a better target to go after, and expose their back to said Trebuchet...  So many orange numbers in short order... 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

So that's why they ignore three mechs in their faces and go for the Trebuchet I'm in...  Then again, it's rather nice to shove 30 missiles into someone's face....  Doubly so on a called shot! 

Okay, I usually go torso or leg, but still.  It's even more fun when they suddenly decide the Centurion is a better target to go after, and expose their back to said Trebuchet...  So many orange numbers in short order... 

as I understand it they always go for the mech with the highest maximum damage output that they have in range and LOS. So LRM boats and hunchback 4P get screwed

• Like 3

So after a couple weeks of no tabletop BT and only a little on the comp got back at it today. I was excited to get the new models on the table even if it may be ages before I paint them. We were continuing on with using the companies we had made up a month or so ago. Which meant that we each got 1 of the new mechs. :rolleyes: We may redesign our computers in the future to use more models and standees from the new boxes. Didn't finish our battle but it's looking bad for me. First hit my Banshee took was from the kid's AC20 on his Atlas. To the head. :wow: So far all I've done is stripped a lot of armour of the Atlas while he's killed one and nearly crippled a second of my mechs.

I like the new heavy card standees and am not happy with the paper ones I made a couple months ago.  So I spent some time learning how to use Gimp to get better quality images from the pdf I used before. #1 son suggested doing a screen shot instead of importing the pdf page into Gimp. That worked really well and I fooled around for awhile resizing things so there were obvious size differences between the classes and they roughly matched the official standees. After a few practice prints on plain paper I printed them on label sheets and stuck that too some light cardstock I have. Then I cut them out in rough squares and glued the backs to the fronts. After the glue set I trimmed them leaving a bit of white around the edges like the ones from the box and made the cross piece out of scraps from boardgames so they stand. Took a bit of work but I'm very happy with the results and they fit in well with the ones from the box. Still need to trim and make the foot piece for over half of them then I'll have another 24 cardboard mechs. I'm trying to figure out how to quickly modify their colour in case we want duplicates of any of them. I need to take some pics to show off. If I can find suitable pics on the net I can make these for any mech now that I know what I'm doing. May not have the army of plastic/metal models I want but I'm getting the army of cardboard.

• Like 3

I wonder if you glued the pics to thicker styrene sheet how that would work. They might hold up better

• Like 2

Probably would but I don't have any on hand. Even the double layer if the card I have is a bit of extra work. If I had thicker cardstock it wold be slightly easier. If I do get some styrene sheets it wouldn't take much to make new ones.

Thinking about scanning or searching for pics of the original cardboard mechs we have. They'd look decent if they were blown up and made in the same style and it would add a lot more variety to the collection. I was telling the kid by the time I make all these I'll probably find the plastic ones I've been searching for. Not like it's a big expense though and I've got time right now.

• Like 3