Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

So a quick search shows that other people have already done this. Not surprising in the slightest. But I'm not finding the actual files yet.

• Like 2

And after typing that I stumbled onto a bunch of exactly what I was looking for. The original counter sheets don't look so great compared to the 4th ed box set ones I found but it's the only one I've found with the "unseen" mechs. 

• Like 4

Finished making the standees from the 25th anniversary box and half done making them from the 4th ed box. Found a couple really nice pics of the 4th ed ones already sized perfect for printing. I think they are all the exact same mechs just different pics. The kid asked if we really need that many? I asked, "Are you really my kid?" Yeah, I get a bit obsessive when working on projects trying to be completionist. I told him it'll be good to have at least 2 models for each mech in case we want to use more than one. Want to make some more of other mechs, mostly unseen but haven't found decent pics of most of them yet. If I wait until the first wave of the KS ships I'll have actual models of most of them.

Sitting here at the moment compiling lists of what mechs I have, what is coming soon, in the fall and what I want. That's a lot of mechs. Never did get a reply from the website where I tried to order the last edition Introductory Boxset and Plastech mechs. Never charged me and never replied to my messages. After all my thinking and cross referencing I think I'd still like to get that box and a few of the Alphastrike boxes if I can find them for not ridiculous prices. That'd give me at least one of ever mech I like and only a few duplicates mostly in plastic.

I read elsewhere that the Alphastrike mechs are the exact same models as the 3500B box set (with a little bit of difference in the mechs offered) can anyone confirm if that's true?

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 4:55 PM, Zink said:

Finished making the standees from the 25th anniversary box and half done making them from the 4th ed box. Found a couple really nice pics of the 4th ed ones already sized perfect for printing. I think they are all the exact same mechs just different pics. The kid asked if we really need that many? I asked, "Are you really my kid?" Yeah, I get a bit obsessive when working on projects trying to be completionist. I told him it'll be good to have at least 2 models for each mech in case we want to use more than one. Want to make some more of other mechs, mostly unseen but haven't found decent pics of most of them yet. If I wait until the first wave of the KS ships I'll have actual models of most of them.

Sitting here at the moment compiling lists of what mechs I have, what is coming soon, in the fall and what I want. That's a lot of mechs. Never did get a reply from the website where I tried to order the last edition Introductory Boxset and Plastech mechs. Never charged me and never replied to my messages. After all my thinking and cross referencing I think I'd still like to get that box and a few of the Alphastrike boxes if I can find them for not ridiculous prices. That'd give me at least one of ever mech I like and only a few duplicates mostly in plastic.

I read elsewhere that the Alphastrike mechs are the exact same models as the 3500B box set (with a little bit of difference in the mechs offered) can anyone confirm if that's true?

Do you mean the Alphastrike plastic lance packs from CGL? They strongly resemble previous generation metal sculpts from Ral Partha. The ancient Plastech 'mechs from 1988 box of the same name are very different sculpts which, to my knowledge, have never been replicated in any other products.

I'm not sure what the "3500B" box set is/was.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Do you mean the Alphastrike plastic lance packs from CGL? They strongly resemble previous generation metal sculpts from Ral Partha. The ancient Plastech 'mechs from 1988 box of the same name are very different sculpts which, to my knowledge, have never been replicated in any other products.

I'm not sure what the "3500B" box set is/was.

It was the newest version of the 25th Anniversary box set with the Atlas on the box. Supposedly came with better quality mechs than in the 2011 release. Not as interested in the Plastech mechs although I would grab it if it was cheap enough. 

Done printing out standees but have one sheet left to cut and assemble. Made over 50 with 2 of many types and a few singles. Think we're good for a long time now. Need to put more work into the campaign now to get some more mission variety.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Zink said:

It was the newest version of the 25th Anniversary box set with the Atlas on the box. Supposedly came with better quality mechs than in the 2011 release. Not as interested in the Plastech mechs although I would grab it if it was cheap enough. 

Done printing out standees but have one sheet left to cut and assemble. Made over 50 with 2 of many types and a few singles. Think we're good for a long time now. Need to put more work into the campaign now to get some more mission variety.

Ah. Sorry.

I also heard that they are better, but haven't checked them out in person.

• Like 4

The minis from the 3500B box and the Alpha Strike Lance Packs are absolutely identical and 100% compatible with everything that came before. The only thing that made those packs Alpha Strike was the cards included with the minis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

The minis from the 3500B box and the Alpha Strike Lance Packs are absolutely identical and 100% compatible with everything that came before. The only thing that made those packs Alpha Strike was the cards included with the minis.

Thanks. I found someone selling some Alpha strike packs for a reasonable price (ie about $5/mech) and am keeping my eyes open for the box set. I think I can get what I want without breaking the bank. If all my staring at mechs and lists is correct 3 Alpha Strike boxes and the Intro box gives me the maximum variety at lowest price and only a handful of repeats. Once the KS minis start coming in I'll have a few more repeats but that's not a bad thing.

Seriously logistics in the "real" Battletech must be a nightmare. So many models with so many variants! No battalions of 100 of the same mech with a few add ons. Nope, everybody has their own pimped out how they like. If you follow the fluff that each weapon is slightly different but grouped by damage capacity it's even worse. Luckily I'm not too hung up with realism in my stompy robots. 

On to compiling info from several different books into a simpler, more concise format for our campaign. Still suffering some information overload on this front but starting to get it under control. Think I have the basic points system worked out and just need to come up with a variety of missions and general story arc. Not trying to run an in depth rpg here. Just want to have a bit of story and reason to keep the mechs and pilots alive and running. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zink said:

Seriously logistics in the "real" Battletech must be a nightmare. So many models with so many variants! No battalions of 100 of the same mech with a few add ons. Nope, everybody has their own pimped out how they like. If you follow the fluff that each weapon is slightly different but grouped by damage capacity it's even worse. Luckily I'm not too hung up with realism in my stompy robots. 

In terms of mech logistics, I don't think it is quite that bad. Things like myomers & armor plate are probably pretty standard & interchangable (i.e. a combat force gets shipped with myomer coils that get cut to the right size for the right mech...). But in terms of mech designs, you can make some pretty solid conclusions by studying the data. Look at what mechs each house produced. And assume that during the 3rd SW production broke "even" roughly. I concluded a while ago that most mechs in the House armies were around 40-50 years old (how long it took for complete turnover of the mech force compared to production....we had a solid production figure from the House Marik sourcebook). So FREX in terms of light mechs, House Steiner is going to overwhelmingly be composed of Commandos & bug mechs, with a few other designs hanging about as either long term survivors or battlefield salvage. So the logistics issue isn't that severe IMHO.

Plus the Warrior trilogy often described units as being fairly homogenous. Entire battalions of Panthers, FREX. As opposed to merc units that used whatever they had.

Once you get out of the 3025 period, though, things go a little gonzo.

Damon.

• Like 3

Well now, that's handy.  The Iron Wind Metals starter packs will have their discount codes renewed until Dec 31st,2021.  Now the big question is if the codes are the same.  They'll be in the next run of Beginner's Boxes. 

Kind of happy to hear such news, because it means I can acquire said sets still ^_^

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zink said:

Thanks. I found someone selling some Alpha strike packs for a reasonable price (ie about $5/mech) and am keeping my eyes open for the box set. I think I can get what I want without breaking the bank. If all my staring at mechs and lists is correct 3 Alpha Strike boxes and the Intro box gives me the maximum variety at lowest price and only a handful of repeats. Once the KS minis start coming in I'll have a few more repeats but that's not a bad thing.

On to compiling info from several different books into a simpler, more concise format for our campaign. Still suffering some information overload on this front but starting to get it under control. Think I have the basic points system worked out and just need to come up with a variety of missions and general story arc. Not trying to run an in depth rpg here. Just want to have a bit of story and reason to keep the mechs and pilots alive and running. 

Supposedly, back in the olden days of the Star League Defense Force, it was much more common to have entire companies, or even battalions composed of a single design and configuration. The later hodge-podge of the setting is a function of the decline of the Succession Wars coupled with the needs for supporting a playable game focused on small units.

Very few people play out battles between entire divisions using Total Warfare rules on the table top.

That does have the side effect of making the game feel a lot more RPG-like than many people expect, in practice. (I consider it both a good and a bad thing.)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Supposedly, back in the olden days of the Star League Defense Force, it was much more common to have entire companies, or even battalions composed of a single design and configuration. The later hodge-podge of the setting is a function of the decline of the Succession Wars coupled with the needs for supporting a playable game focused on small units.

Very few people play out battles between entire divisions using Total Warfare rules on the table top.

That does have the side effect of making the game feel a lot more RPG-like than many people expect, in practice. (I consider it both a good and a bad thing.)

Even into the succession wars it was common to give a garrison all the same or related mechs like the Davion love of black jack garrisons. Just ship in some ac2 ammo and some spare bits.

• Like 3

I kind of like the mixed up salvage/conversion in my games. Wouldn't want it in a real war though. It works for the hard scrabble mech company theme which I like over large scale battles for Btech. I played Battleforce years ago and am reading up on various large operations now but for me Battletech is about a lance or 3 fighting it out.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Zink said:

I kind of like the mixed up salvage/conversion in my games. Wouldn't want it in a real war though. It works for the hard scrabble mech company theme which I like over large scale battles for Btech. I played Battleforce years ago and am reading up on various large operations now but for me Battletech is about a lance or 3 fighting it out.

I totally agree.

I also appreciate that the broad arc of the game includes an era where 6-12 soldiers and their knightly robot armor is considered an 'adequate' to defend an entire planet, and another where you aren't really trying until you land 9 regiments of armored battlemech forces (972 battlemechs, plus optional command elements), and up to 27 regiments of supporting conventional troops to 'secure the beachhead'.

Battletech's vast scope is one of its greatest strengths and also one of its most crippling weaknesses.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I totally agree.

I also appreciate that the broad arc of the game includes an era where 6-12 soldiers and their knightly robot armor is considered an 'adequate' to defend an entire planet, and another where you aren't really trying until you land 9 regiments of armored battlemech forces (972 battlemechs, plus optional command elements), and up to 27 regiments of supporting conventional troops to 'secure the beachhead'.

Battletech's vast scope is one of its greatest strengths and also one of its most crippling weaknesses.

I've had discussions in the past about this sort of thing concerning Renegade Legion (also a FASA game). With it you have grav tanks instead of mechs but a planetary invasion was still only 2-3 legions (roughly like current divisions) because the tanks were so awesome. No need for WW2 levels of mobilization when a dropship or 2 can do it all. ::P: In RL the tanks can fly at high speeds so you don't even need drop/transport ships after the initial landings. RL was slightly more realistic in that you had a lot more support elements for the legions. I try not to think to hard about it. Just need enough logistics to keep our companies running with a bit of decision making about resources.

• Like 3