Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

And as is typical for me I found exactly what I was looking for, piddled around for a couple days, contacted the seller and 90% of what I wanted sold earlier today. ::(: Bought the couple of Alpha strike lance packs he still had. Not too worried because I'm sure I'll have other chances. Shipping is always a problem here so the price ended up somewhat higher than I wanted but it was still lower than other place. $8 for a plastic mech instead of the $5-6 I'd hoped for. Only another 28 on the wish list (1 lance pack and the intro box).

• Like 3

So playing the videogame last night I had an interesting thing happen. Did a relatively easy mission and right at the end I noticed the little danger circles popping up where I wanted to move. Hovering over the spot said incoming dropship. What? There shouldn't be anymore enemies coming. Moved onto it and killed the last enemy tank. My dropship comes flying in and lands on top of my Starleague era Atlas II killing the pilot and crushing everything in the mech. :blink: Guess I should have paid attention to the warning. I'm playing with a sort of self imposed iron man mentality but sometimes things go so wrong I replay. 2nd round. The computer loads tougher enemies for me but it was still fairly easy. At the end same situation. I think to myself, "need to not stand in that area when the last target goes down." Thought I was out of the landing zone and got a lucky shot killing the last enemy mech a round sooner than expected. My dropship flies in, lands on top of my Banshee severely injuring the pilot and crushing everything in the mech. I wouldn't have cared too much if I wasn't playing with a mod that means destroyed center torso scraps the mech. I have lots of spare weapons and quite a few spare mechs just not assault mechs. So will do it again later staying waaaaay out of range of those dang little red circles.

After trying a bunch of mods I've settled on the Battletech Extended 3025 Commanders Edition, Mission Control and Removed Story Difficulty Boosts.

You need to download the Community Assets Bundle for BECX to work. Gives you the full Inner Sphere and Periphery map, a ton of 3025 era mechs, galaxy at war (you win battles and you eventually conquer planets for your employers), panic system (pilots may eject before you destory every singl location on their mech), improved AI and other things. Seriously a big improvement over vanilla (which I liked too).  Biggest drawback for me is that all the Flashpoints pop up in the original map area (tiny bit of Cappellan, Free Worlds and Federated Suns territory and nearby periphery states). 

Mission Control increases the size of the maps, randomises starting points and allows more units on both sides. Had a bit of a conflict with this and Tonnage Limits For Contracts. MC allowed me more mechs but the tonnage limits kept the weights down depending on mission difficulty. So I was trying to fight 8 or more heavy and assault mechs with 5-6 mediums and heavies. Eventually realised that MC has it's own weight limits built in but not dependent on mission difficulty. Did an easy battle with my full 2 lance drop for the first time. Ended up being my 8 heavies and assaults against a dozen light tanks and mechs. If I had kept using the Tonnage Limits I would only have been able to use lights or mediums as well.

Removed Story Difficulty Boosts does exactly what it says. When finishing campaign missions the whole map gets a difficulty boost. This led to every non campaign, non Flashpoint mission being Assault mechs. I was getting my butt handed to me regularly and even when winning repairs were costing almost as much as my pay. Some might say I needed to learn to play better but getting pounded by 8-12 assault mechs against my 4 every single battle wasn't that enjoyable. Now I can pick and choose from a larger variety of missions and roll out my lights and mediums more often. For less pay but much less pain. Mostly doing flashpoints right now so haven't tried a steady run of the basic missions.

The one minor downside to the larger variety of mechs and lower level battles is that it is harder to get complete sets to increase/improve what you're using. When fighting 1-2 skull missions you tend to only get light and maybe medium mechs. You also need to kill a lot more of them to get the right parts to build your own. I spent a lot more of the campaign using lighter mechs than originally. You don't have to do the campaign missions as soon as they are available but I tend to. They gave me the most money and best loot. Now that I've been playing for way to long I have a large stock pile of partial mechs, a full roster and a lot of completed mechs in storage. Almost every battle I can complete another mech if I choose to. But my companies expenses are so high I don't know if I could survive without the bonuses that flashpoints give. Will be trying that soon.

• Like 3

I'm told a box from Hong Kong has arrived at home. Can't wait to check out some resin Robotech goodness.

My order includes a Spartan, a Phalanx and an Armored VF-1J , which correspond to the Battletech Archer, Longbow and Crusader.

Really looking forward to seeing these in person. The pictures online are pretty awesome.

This box also contains some Zentraedi suits (Nousjaduel-Ger and Queadluun-Rau) as well as the massive Monster (aka M.A.C. II), but they don't have Battletech equivalents. But they are models Palladium (cursed be their name) was paid to produce and send me in the Robotech RPG Tactics debacle. So it's nice to finally finally have some, even if I had to wait most of a decade and pay another company to get some. At least these are far superior to the models that did come out of the kickstarter.

• Like 5

Finally took some pics of the cardboard horde that I made. My 20 actual minis are in there too. Not great photos but give you an idea. Literally a bit rough around the edges because of my cutting with scissors but I'm pretty happy with them. Standees from the current boxes, found nice ready to print files from the 4th Ed box, resized ones I did from the sheets in the 25th Anniversary box and a few from pics I found online. Haven't actually counted them all yet but I made over 50.

IMG_8170.thumb.JPG.6a420ba687af8c23bdaa3521c8565c3a.JPG

IMG_8169.thumb.JPG.fac7d63cc1353d8f2ec401c6ab1cd4de.JPG

Thunderbolt and Awesome from the current box set with an Atlas and Imp I made. I think the Imp is one of the goofier looking designs but when I showed it to the kid he fell in love. It will be in our next fight.

IMG_8171.thumb.JPG.b77852896808fb29501dee208b3c7af8.JPG

Rifleman, Archer, Warhammer and Victor. The first 3 are from a Robotech site I found the Victor from MWO. The Victor's rear is a bit wonky because I did some quick modifying to make a rear image for a few mechs. Couldn't always find a nice double sided image.

IMG_8172.thumb.JPG.0511944d5a3f3d7aa39a0d780ed0d4df.JPG

Spider and Clint along with a metal Panther and Hermes to show that they roughly match in size. Not that some of the minis matched eachother that well either.

IMG_8173.thumb.JPG.212fce5f29c88da4f9559a831465dfce.JPG

3 different hunchbacks. The first is from the 2nd Ed box. A few of the medium mechs from it match ok for scale. The others are from the 4th ed box and 25th Anniversary box.

IMG_8174.thumb.JPG.3018b36897936bfcc0d61fea44f88111.JPG

Now to go about replacing them with minis. ::P:

• Like 5

@Zink: The standees like great.

I still have one or two of the old Citytech hunchback standees in my closet ...some place. 

• Like 3

@Zink oh my those look good!

Silly question: are you still getting achievements with those mods?  Asking because that sounds like it would be a lot more fun to play and have various options than playing the stock game... Especially that story mode difficulty boost removal bit... 

• Like 4

They were easy to make too. Resizing took a bit of time bit I think I used 5 sheets of label paper and thin cardboard for printing. A bit of spray glue to stick 2 pieces of card together and trim.

@WhiteWulfe, I think I still got achievements after installing the mods. I played the campaign once without any so got a lot of the acheivements then. Then I did it again with BCEX. Then I did it again with a bunch of mods. The last few mods I tried can be swapped in and out without messing up my save games so didn't have to do the campaign again. I'vee got about half the achievments but haven't really looked at which ones I still need. 

One other mod that was ok was the CBT Balance Overhaul. Makes the basic rules more like tabletop BTech. The reason I got rid of it was because it was really hard to hit the speedy little buggers of light mechs (which in itself is good) but couldn't complete missions with time limits because of it. For stand up battles it was fun. Lots of maneuvering. But way too often the only way to kill them was in melee. May drop it back in sometime because it's a matter of a few clicks to do.

• Like 3

Just looked up which acheivements I haven't unlocked yet. Most are for multiplayer/skirmish which I don't do. The rest are for allying to various factions and extreme mech mods which I never thought of, saving money, death from above kills (have a few but not enough) and finishing career mode. I've never done more than a few missions in career mode testing the various mods. I like the campaign and you can do all the basic battle at the same time. There are a couple things I I might be able to do soon. I'll try the next time I play.

• Like 3

You can still unlock achievements with the mods. I did the simple one of 3 ppcs in any mech other than an Awesome. If you do want to try the combo of mods I'm doing right now you need to use version 1.7 of the game for BCEX to work and an older version of Mission Control (v0.3.2) to have everything compatible.  You'll need to start a new game with either of those mods as the save games don't work. All the others I mentioned can be installed or removed without it messing up the saves (I think). 

Just finished the mission with the dropship of death. DEliberately stayed way wide of it's landing zone and still had a nervous feeling when it's shadow went right over 2 of my mechs before touchdown. ::P:

• Like 2

@Zink thanks for letting me know :)

I've been browsing Sarna and IWM as of late... Looking at armor for Hell's Horses.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

@Zink thanks for letting me know :)

I've been browsing Sarna and IWM as of late... Looking at armor for Hell's Horses.... 

I hope someone will do up Eponas on Thingiverse!

32 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I hope someone will do up Eponas on Thingiverse!

Eponas definitely look nice, although the Heimdall and a few others definitely look lovely too...  Especially the Hephaestus. 

Troubling part is finding air support that seems like it would go well with Hell's Horses... 

And yup, it didn't take me long to realize I'm steadily building up 2-3 (probably three) clan forces alongside 1-2 Inner Sphere (probably two)... 

• Haha 2

My old Warhammer has been missing an arm for ages. When looking for other stuff I was 100% positive I'd seen it in a specific box. After dusting off all the mechs I couldn't find it. A couple days ago I sat down and very carefully went through the box (about a foot square by 2" deep almost full of old 80s minis mostly belonging to my best friend but a few of mine) and found it. So now he can go back to overheating happily.

Finally decided to do a couple test paint jobs for 2 different colour schemes. I painted a catapult red with a bit of shading and details and a wolverine light grey. Very happy with how both look but unsure what I want to do for a secondary colour. Hadn't really planned it this way but looking like I might be headed for Kurita vs Steiner. Time to take a closer look at that pdf from the KS with all the paint jobs. Kind of want to get this sorted out while I only have 20 minis. In a couple months I'll have about 60.

• Like 5

So have been doing a bit of painting on mechs lately. I've finished 3 grey with some dark blue and very light grey stripes and working on the last one. I've done a red lance but they are just plain red so far. Stalled trying to decide what sort of accent I want. They look nice just in red with the wash and dry brushing I've done. Trying to get the younger kid to play with us. He uses Awesomegameplayer as a name on different things so I'm doing a dark blue Awesome to entice him. I'll paint up a full lance in that scheme too once I figure exactly what it is. I'll take some pics once I finish a bit more. Nothing fancy but I'm satisfied with them. Really like the quality and detail of the new plastics.

• Like 4