Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Battletech Thread

Just got a couple boxes of the Alpha strike minis. 

Fire (Dervish, Shogun, Stalker, Trebuchet)
2x Support (Awesome, Charger, Firestarter, Vindicator)

Didn't really need the second box of support but the guy sold the recon box I wanted just before I contacted him. Price was decent so I figured I could use it as trading material or more likely just keep and play with. If I can find the box set I'm looking for I'm going to have a lot of Awesome minis. The Alpha Strike one is kind of small and skinny compared to the one out of the new starter box but still a nice mini.

• Like 4

The fire lance is good for two mech VS two mech games.

Awesomes are awesome. They're the most irritating thing to kill in 3025, and have a damage output that is both high and steady. There are excellent upgrades too. 

Charger has decent variants. Even the base unit isn't totally useless in 3025; it's decently tough, and people tend to ignore it until it's in position for that 16 point kick. Use it as a 1A9 or 1A5 and it becomes scarier in the extreme.

Firestarter doesn't come into its own until you start throwing around the fire/smoke rules, or running into infantry. If you used the enhanced flamer rules it can be decent even before then. It's also a good proxy for the firestarter omnimech, and the prime of that is a solid medium.

Vindicator is something you won't regret having two of. They're rock solid troopers with good later era variants. The worst thing I can say about them is that the base model has a weird bias towards rear armor, but even that means they can be moved earlier in the movement phase without fearing backstabs.

• Like 4

I need to dig up some info on Charger variants. The main reference I use is the original 3025 TRO and an assault mech with only small lasers just doesn't seem right. Even it says that the most common adaptation is some bigger weapons. For flamers we use the rule that they do heat and damage so I like Firestarters. Using infantry is one the to do list sometime. I've even dug out a bunch of my old epic 40k minis to use. 

• Like 2

The Charger was designed as a rules exploit mech, rather than a sensible battlefield unit. Imagine an 85 ton mech doing an 8-hex charge (hence the name!) So if you like doing charging attacks, the Charger is the mech for you...

Personally I love the Challenger upgrade (first previewed in the Battletech fanzine Battletechnology, later made canon in the records sheets). Downgrades movement & upgrades 4 of the SL into LL. Makes it like a LL Awesome. 

The Vindy is a zombie mech. Too bad it's a signature mech of the most despised House in the setting, Liao...

Damon.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Zink said:

I need to dig up some info on Charger variants. The main reference I use is the original 3025 TRO and an assault mech with only small lasers just doesn't seem right. Even it says that the most common adaptation is some bigger weapons. For flamers we use the rule that they do heat and damage so I like Firestarters. Using infantry is one the to do list sometime. I've even dug out a bunch of my old epic 40k minis to use. 

Catalyst sells record sheet books in PDF form. They contain individual record sheets for each variant. For stuff in the original TRO3025, you will want to fund Record Sheets: 3039. You should be able to find them on DrivethruRPG, if Catalyst hasn't changed anything.

• Like 4

Well, refigured my KS Pledge today, still not showing the credit yet, so just saved the changes and will keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Catalyst sells record sheet books in PDF form. They contain individual record sheets for each variant. For stuff in the original TRO3025, you will want to fund Record Sheets: 3039. You should be able to find them on DrivethruRPG, if Catalyst hasn't changed anything.

I'd downloaded a ton of reference materials years ago and it turns out I had a Wizkids copy of that. I just got updated versions of it and the 3039 TRO. So

CGR-1A1 = 5 small lasers

CGR-1A5 = AC 20, 2 SRM 6, medium laser and small laser

CGR-1A9 = LRM 20, 4 medium lasers and small laser

CGR-1L = large laser, 2 medium lasers

CGR-SB = 4 large lasers and medium laser

That's a lot of options. Kind of like the idea of #2 on the list for a close up assault mech. Not as fast as the A1 but still not bad for an assault mech.

Need to read through the record sheet booklet (227 pages :wacko:) to check out variants of my favourite mechs. Sheesh I'm just getting used to using standard variants of common medium mechs we never used back in ancient history. We mostly played with the mechs from the box sets and not as much from the TROs. Still not used to thinking about missile variants of Awesomes and Hunchbacks either.

• Like 2

Disco hunchback is best hunchback.

By disco, I mean the guy with eight medium lasers and the sinks to use them.

3085 Old is the New New

project phoenix

3050 upgrade

Edited by Club
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Well, refigured my KS Pledge today, still not showing the credit yet, so just saved the changes and will keep an eye on it.

Yeah, I did that myself last night, but now after finding out with just a few tweaks and the credit upgrading to dual Star Colonels will technically only add another $20 USD plus whatever shipping costs are factored in... 

I might wind up with dual Star Colonel... But we shall see.  $20 extra in the pot for eight more packs is rather tempting, to say the least... 

Edit: might not hurt to check again on that credit, mine was already showing ^_^

Edited by WhiteWulfe

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yeah, I did that myself last night, but now after finding out with just a few tweaks and the credit upgrading to dual Star Colonels will technically only add another $20 USD plus whatever shipping costs are factored in... 

I might wind up with dual Star Colonel... But we shall see.  $20 extra in the pot for eight more packs is rather tempting, to say the least... 

Edit: might not hurt to check again on that credit, mine was already showing ^_^

Star Colonel is 12 packs.

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Star Colonel is 12 packs.

And upgrading from Bloodnamed would give me an extra eight, since Bloodnamed already includes four :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm still not seeing anything.  Does it show up as a line item somewhere?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I'm still not seeing anything.  Does it show up as a line item somewhere?

Mine was listed in under payments, as.. Uhm, drat I'm not by my computer at the moment.  But it was something along the lines of being listed as "Kickstarter - manual credit" or such. 

I noticed because my cart balance dropped $75 USD. ^_^

I am hoping I can do the upgrade from SC+BM to 2xSC but I'll have to see what they say about the second credit.  More mechs would be nice, but I want to have my order for the Tukayyid battlemats as well as 2x Lostech dice in my order before it closes, so then "sneaking in" a few small orders (like say an extra mech pack) here and there during second wind is easier. 

Unsurprisingly, the reason why I like the dual Star Colonel idea so much is that it effectively kills my desire to buy those starter packs from Iron Wind Metals, which is good, because that would let me focus on tanks and other things ^_^ (or Bones V, or the upcoming CAV dropship, etc) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Mine was listed in under payments, as.. Uhm, drat I'm not by my computer at the moment.  But it was something along the lines of being listed as "Kickstarter - manual credit" or such. 

I noticed because my cart balance dropped $75 USD. ^_^

That told me where to look perfectly.  Mine isn't there yet. They may be waiting until they send out my 2nd survey, or just hasn't been processed yet.  Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with an extra $150 yet....

• Like 2