Sign in to follow this  
Fujin

Paint Sku's By Color

Has anyone ever organized all their reaper paints/ paint skus' by their color instead of by sku?    I'm curious.  I dont just mean all the reds together, blues together etc.  I mean deeper than that.  Darkest Value Red in Cool to Highest Value Red in Cool tone, Darkest Value Red in Neutral to Highest Value Red in Neutral, etc etc?

Only inventory I do is with Paint Rack (android). There is sorting option in the app that you could use, although I find it's a little hit and miss as it's based on supplied color swatches which are not always exact matches anyway).

On 9/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, Fujin said:

Has anyone ever organized all their reaper paints/ paint skus' by their color instead of by sku?    I'm curious.  I dont just mean all the reds together, blues together etc.  I mean deeper than that.  Darkest Value Red in Cool to Highest Value Red in Cool tone, Darkest Value Red in Neutral to Highest Value Red in Neutral, etc etc?

The right way to do that would be in a three-dimensional chart, with each color component (RGB, by default) on its own axis. Those are difficult to represent on a two-dimensional picture.

Be really nice to have, though.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2019 at 8:03 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

The right way to do that would be in a three-dimensional chart, with each color component (RGB, by default) on its own axis. Those are difficult to represent on a two-dimensional picture.

Be really nice to have, though.

This would be amazing.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fujin said:

This would be amazing.   

So, are you any good at VR programming? :rolleyes:

If so, I prefer the HSL mapping to RGB mapping, because it works more like my internal concept of color. So could you make the mapping switchable?

KTHXBYE

::D:

36 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

So, are you any good at VR programming? :rolleyes:

If so, I prefer the HSL mapping to RGB mapping, because it works more like my internal concept of color. So could you make the mapping switchable?

KTHXBYE

::D:

Just FYI, @Fujin, Doug comes across a bit argumentative sometimes. I read the reply and was “Wow! Harsh!”, but then I saw who it was. I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean it that way tho. 

I’ve seen design space visualization software of up to 10 dimensions, so two sets of three shouldn’t be too hard to do. It can be done!

Just don’t ask me to provide it. Proprietary.

27 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Just FYI, @Fujin, Doug comes across a bit argumentative sometimes. I read the reply and was “Wow! Harsh!”, but then I saw who it was. I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean it that way tho. 

I’ve seen design space visualization software of up to 10 dimensions, so two sets of three shouldn’t be too hard to do. It can be done!

Just don’t ask me to provide it. Proprietary.

Certainly didn't mean to come across as confrontational. It was intended as light-hearted agreement and I apologize if seemed otherwise.

I really would love to have that kind of visualization software. It could also be done in a few other ways, for instance a circular field with angle being Hue, distance from center being Saturation, and some sort of height projection for Luminance, but with even one decent-sized set of paints that would get very crowded in some places. (Cartesian with X, Y, and Z for Red, Green, and Blue would have the same crowding issues, but in different places.)

The whole thing would be exacerbated by the fact that sRGB, the color space we use by default in web browsers (among other places), can't actually show all of the colors your eyes can see or that paint chemists can create. And CMYK (the default print standard) has even more limitations.

It turns out that this is actually a non-trivial problem, more's the pity.