Harbinger Dragon Issue Just Out

paintminion

So I finally got my issue, opened the little baggy and took my dose of plastic printery inky smell. Ahh.

Looking through it I was very ho-hummed about the whole issue. Dark Sword wasn't mentioned anywhere, and they gave them the cover art! My dragon isn't even connected to the cover art, it's mistakenly attributed to Reaper! They didn't bother putting the model names or painter names for those dragons, nor even the author of the dragon article, and I was really hoping for more stuff on dragons! Tammy's article is good, but I was looking for more...articles, scenarios, modeling, more dragons! I'm a big fan of dragons and was looking forward to this dragon-hyped issue. :down: Heck, I figured it would include some stuff on all the new dragons coming out at least! It would have been great to see the new dragons coming out from all the different manufacturers.

I liked the coverage of Holger's German show, but I'd like to know what some of those models ARE, not just who painted them.

Anyway, I'm feeling down about the whole thing.

So what did you like and dislike? Anyone else get theirs yet?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have that issue and probably won't hunt around to acquire it. The three I do have are all plagued by the same issues you raise here. Editing/proofreading leaves much to be desired, far too much static (advertising) to miniature coverage in it.

And could someone explain to me when attempting to read text on strange background colors and textures was deemed desirable?

I was kinda bummed about the lack of historicals this issue. I think they can dedicate a little bit to fantasy, horror, sci fi and historicals quite easily each issue.

Dragons scare me... or at least the models do. I'm just really uncomfortable painting them right now.. not sure why, I don't mind doing big things like tanks and stuff.

I have this poor GW dragon that has been sitting on my self for ages that I've been too intimidated to touch. The poor thing was knocked off my miniatures shelves by my fiancee and snapped off at the ankles.. (not so bad) but when she was picking it up again - she dropped it and it shattered... it's fixed and in one piece, but is still unprimed. I've taken to calling my fiancee "St. George" and actually made a little norman tapestry comic to commemorate the incident (I'll post it at the end)

*SO* as a fan of dragons - do you have any advice and getting down and painting one up? I'm normally a member of the Cult of Black Primer - but I can use both easily.

bleujenna.jpg

I didn't know harbringer had historicals in it. What kind? Are they just umpteenth versions of Foundry figures, or do they have more interesting stuff in it?

A well balanced hobby magazine (I think) if Fine Scale Modelling for model building; 1 article for cars, 1 for planes, and 1 for armor (and the balance for ships, SF, or more of the same). They do it well so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Damon.

I didn't know harbringer had historicals in it. What kind? Are they just umpteenth versions of Foundry figures, or do they have more interesting stuff in it?

Damon.

Well, issue 9 had some WWII stuff in it and a few adds for the WestWind WWII vehicles. They had a D-day airborne scenerio. I was pretty excited and was hoping they were going to add historicals to their coverage. I love confrontation and void, but I think their covereage on these items is getting a little bit heavy. I did really like the force building tips for confrontation though.

I like the inclusions of rule sets also.

I'd love to see at lease one hsitorical article a month in there - be it ancients, various country's civil wars, WWs etc.

OK. That's not too much, and WWII to boot. Not that I have anything against WWII (as a model builder I concentrate in this period almost exclusively), but it does get a bit...old. Plus there are so many decent historical mini manufacturers (especially in the last few years), a nice historical gallery section or such would be welcome.

Damon.

*SO* as a fan of dragons - do you have any advice and getting down and painting one up? I'm normally a member of the Cult of Black Primer - but I can use both easily.

Black primer, drybrush gray everywhere, then start drybrushing your colors and then do some detailing work. Don't be afraid of your dragons! Hey, that sounds like a good title for an article....

Okay, hopefully the next Dragon Diary I do I'll do black primer on so everyone can watch how easy it is to do that way as well.