Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Ebay - it's just not fun anymore

I hear ya, Beagle.

I have certain things that I search for on Ebay, and I'll find them available for a price that I'm not willing to pay. I have watched one particular item for literally 2.5 YEARS and it hasn't sold (unless the seller has a bunch of them) at that price. Why the person doesn't drop the price in an effort to get the item to move is beyond me.

• Like 5

One of the things I check ebay for is blank journals from a particular artist. They are nice paper, hard bound, sewn bindings, lay flat, etc.  The retail price in the 80's and 90's was 9.99.   They pop up now and then and should be a few dollars, or half original retail.  Unless some knucklehead fat fingers the keyboard and adds a digit or two.  Then all the subsequent listings reflect the new "value" -- and they don't sell.  They sit for years at inflated prices.  I recall one was listed for $1500 over and over for abut 5 years.  Part of that, I'm sure, was the way ebay allows auto relistings. Some sellers don't look at their stuff and wonder why it isn't moving, they just mass upload and relist over and over. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

One of the figures I've been watching is 'Osrim Chardz', the dwarf commander from Bloodbath at Orks Drift. One seller has him listed for.....wait for it.....£179.99!

Makes me laugh that they feel the need to have the 99p at that price, why not just go £180? In fact why not go £1.8 million ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

A lot of eBay sellers aren't actually paying attention to business; they're collectors selling their stuff. They want to get what they perceive the value to be, and no less. If it doesn't sell immediately, it's not like they're trying to make a living at it.

It's capitalism without attention, because many sellers have no urgency to their sales...

• Like 7

On 9/21/2019 at 3:44 PM, Sanael said:

A lot of eBay sellers aren't actually paying attention to business; they're collectors selling their stuff. They want to get what they perceive the value to be, and no less. If it doesn't sell immediately, it's not like they're trying to make a living at it.

It's capitalism without attention, because many sellers have no urgency to their sales...

I’m not so sure that’s the case here. The ones I’m watching are consistently buying up collections and rarer items and then reselling

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

...They want to get what they perceive the value to be, and no less. ...

I have friends who collect books ... rare and first editions.  One has declared that the sale of his book collection will take care of  his wife after he dies.  He supports his statement by quoting the prices from various rare book stores and sites.  He ignores the idea that there are fewer and fewer book collectors and that sales are becoming increasingly rare at the "list" prices and that someone would have to make the effort to actually market the books -- while competing with the other sellers in a very niche market.

He keeps talking about how much his books are "worth".  And omitting to realize that they are worth exactly as much as what someone will pay for them at the moment of sale.

29 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The rare and antique book market. ...

As above.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I would never look at my collection as a nest egg. Anything I buy is usually worth less after I've paid for it than before even if it's still mint. I for some reason I do sell things off I'd be happy with half of new price not expect double.

I've got some cousins that love shows like American Pickers about the treasures people have in their junk. They attacked my dad when we was settling an estate for his aunt. Total @-holes tried to grab absolutely everything. Dad let them take more than he should have. Now they're running around complaining about how they were stuck with a bunch of worthless crap that they can't gt rid of. :devil: She had a lot of stuff and they took literal truckloads.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but I have 4-5 of the McDeath minis. If you want them, @Beagle, I'd be willing to part with them for the low price of 100 pounds each! ::D: Seriously send me a pm if you're interested and I can give you some pics and discuss more normal prices. 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Highlander said:

I have friends who collect books ... rare and first editions.  One has declared that the sale of his book collection will take care of  his wife after he dies.  He supports his statement by quoting the prices from various rare book stores and sites.  He ignores the idea that there are fewer and fewer book collectors and that sales are becoming increasingly rare at the "list" prices and that someone would have to make the effort to actually market the books -- while competing with the other sellers in a very niche market.

He keeps talking about how much his books are "worth".  And omitting to realize that they are worth exactly as much as what someone will pay for them at the moment of sale.

Absolutely this. Unless you are talking about first edition Shakespeare folios then second-hand books are scarcely worth the cost of postage.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

An item's value is only what someone else is willing to pay.

Sage real estate advice I absorbed from somewhere.

And when I use "value", I'm obviously speaking to the selling value of something, not the emotional value.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Dude, I used to be a Kingdom Death collector. A year or two ago that became impossible due to scalpers, and it's been difficult for a couple years before that.

And that's before you get into recasters...

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Highlander said:

As above.

That said I sold my 1st printing of Gail Carriger's Soulless for $50... because I was offered it as soon as somebody found out I had it. (Her editor had managed to convince the publisher that they needed to double the first print run - but was still woefully underestimating the market.)

The book was still in print, and on my Kobo, and since I wanted the book for reading... I was happy to let it go. (I have read Soulless aloud to Megan, twice.)

Not on eBay, either - this was on a steampunk forum.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

Ah McDeath,

I remember this being the first real serious gaming fist fight/tantrum I encountered. 'No man of woman born can harm McDeath', unfortunately the player took this too literally, and had a terminal encounter with Klinty the Treeman

those were the day, young and innocent

and then later using the standees as a proxy army in a tournament that demanded only official GW figures

(not so young and innocent but they were the only thing I had that vaguely resembled an army as I was far more concerned with buying minis I liked rather than stuff that could be played with together)

Good luck on your quest Beagle (the halfling Raybees was rereleased as a generic halfling in the C11 series call hamfist halfwit if you didn't know and there's an ebay BIN for £6.99 on one up now, i'd have offered you mine but he succumbed to conversionitis and is now holding a paintbrush instead of a shield)

Edit: and oddly enough another halfling that actually matches the standee art much better than the one that was apparently supplied at the time also exists in the C11 range, called Benny Bottomdown, info pulled from http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2016/06/mcdeath-lost-scenario-figures.html)

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 10:01 PM, Beagle said:

But then I noticed opportunities to pick up these miniatures started to dry up, sellers no longer seemed to be using 'Buy it now', and auction prices were suddenly going through the roof.

I'm a bit confused by this part, because everything else you describe is exactly what happened to RP TSR for me when it shifted from auctions to BIN and not the reverse.  If it was still mostly auctions it should be dynamic pricing, but BIN constipates everything at "way too much, m8".   Auctions should occassionally spike prices in a category (I've done that once or twice), but sink back to normal equilibrium thereafter.  

Outside of the confusion on the above part, I agree eBay is dead.  Inflated prices, inflated shipping, less selection than ever.  But I guess the most damning thing is that I used to be on eBay so much that I was more active on those forums than I am here - and I haven't seriously looked at an eBay listing in near 2 years.  

• Like 6

I have listed several minis last weeks, and have sold a few.

I will relist after my vacation.

What I notice is that the terrible shipping prices scare away customers.

I have now sold stuff to Dutch and US people, the latter did buy because I had reasonable prices for some uncommon stuff, but still.

I'm more and more inclined to group minis in one auction so the shipping will be worth it.

• Like 6