Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Ebay - it's just not fun anymore

On 9/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, CashWiley said:

Dude, I used to be a Kingdom Death collector. A year or two ago that became impossible due to scalpers, and it's been difficult for a couple years before that.

And that's before you get into recasters...

I wish Ebay would give you the option of filtering out Russia and China more easily.    It is not like they don't know there are massive IP issues

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have listed several minis last weeks, and have sold a few.

I will relist after my vacation.

What I notice is that the terrible shipping prices scare away customers.

I have now sold stuff to Dutch and US people, the latter did buy because I had reasonable prices for some uncommon stuff, but still.

I'm more and more inclined to group minis in one auction so the shipping will be worth it.

Shipping is more or less reasonable if I can find something in Canada or a listing with actual shipping.  eBay's "global shipping program", an attempt to emulate Amazon for some reason, is what kills it for me.  It essentially makes almost everything start with a base of $40 shipping.  This is John Donahoe's doing, because he set out to make eBay compete with Amazon not by being good at being eBay, but by being worse at being Amazon.  This was part of the move to "modernize" the site and the push to make it "more than the world's flea market".  Except that eBay's niche was being the world's flea market - and it was very good at it.  Now it isn't good at anything.  As boneheaded executive decisions go, it's neck and neck with the expansion into China with no plan in place to deal with a flood of counterfeits.  That this would come as a complete surprise to the upper echelons is probably a good tell how out of touch they were.  

What began as a fast-growing, peer-to-peer mutual trade site with dynamic pricing turned into a stogged-up behemoth so overburdened with its own bad decisions it's a wonder any merchandise moves on it at all.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

I wish Ebay would give you the option of filtering out Russia and China more easily.    It is not like they don't know there are massive IP issues

One of the very few KD minis I've sold from my collection (a spare 1st run TK) went for a bundle...to China. I was really worried about having a problem with the buyer, but I never heard a peep other than getting the payment and address. It was also an experience at the post office, since nobody knew how to map the address to a label (the fields didn't align well).

It kind of soured me on selling, though, because I had done everything I could figure out to limit it to North American buyers only!

• Like 7

I don't mind selling to a chinese buyer.. but I generally don't list international shipping as available on my auctions..  as soon as I do that, someone from Canada asks to buy it.. 

anymore I sell them in the Nightmarket on FB.. which reminds me I'm about due for a purge

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Completely agree with this. I have started adding to add a paragraph to all the items I sell stating that, due to losses and damages, I will not post items to Russia or China.

• Like 8

Yeah, "buy low, sell high" all on eBay went to some people's head. Back when WFb went from 7th to 8th Ed, I got out and started buy a bunch of the 7th Ed books, with a few others from previous editions thrown in because I liked them. Now I lack one, count it one, army book from having a complete set of 7th edition books. Not that I ever get to play it, but it would be nice to complete the 'set'. I know I never will, as the prices are usually $25 for the softback, that is what the 'new' hardback full color books go for NEW. I get people want make a buck, but still, it is not worth that if someone will not buy it. 

Anyways, I have thought about selling my books, since I never get to play anyways, but I know I could never get out of them for what I put into them.

• Like 5

I occasionally buy things on Ebay, but less and less, for reasons mentioned above. I refuse to sell on Ebay because I won't ship outside the US. Even to friends. It's just too much of a hassle for me. 

• Like 3

I'll admit that I haven't read the entire thread, but I'd like to offer a different point.

eBay sucks as a seller as well.

When I first started selling on eBay (back in the late 90's) I was just getting rid of some of my personal items. Lots of old toys and collectibles and things like that. Over the years, I've built a business where I sell my own handmade custom cast items and action figure parts for other customizers to build custom figures with.

I can tell you that the eBay fees (and the postal rates for shipping, and the PayPal fees, and now eBay's forcing of managed payments and forced returns for BS scamming buyers) are making it near impossible to sell on eBay at a "reasonable" price.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Loim said:

I occasionally buy things on Ebay, but less and less, for reasons mentioned above. I refuse to sell on Ebay because I won't ship outside the US. Even to friends. It's just too much of a hassle for me. 

I hear this a lot.  Just how much extra hassle is there in the US?  Here in Canada it's literally one extra form that takes ten seconds to fill out where you just have to say what's in the box, and it's a form you can have filled out when you set up the digital stuff if you want to do it ahead of time, can pre-pay at home and then just drop it off at a CanadaPost... 

I'd have thought it would be the exact same down south...? 

• Like 3

Packages have to be handed over in person at a local office, they are weighed, the form stamped and approved, and a tag applied to the box, then you get a receipt copy handed back.  There may be electronic forms you can fill out, but there is no "dropping off" of parcels.  Has to be done in person, which means waiting in line. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Packages have to be handed over in person at a local office, they are weighed, the form stamped and approved, and a tag applied to the box, then you get a receipt copy handed back.  There may be electronic forms you can fill out, but there is no "dropping off" of parcels.  Has to be done in person, which means waiting in line. 

Which is business as normal in the Netherlands.

Even when shipping domestic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

We have gotten lazy here in the US. Everyone has somewhere to be ten minutes ago and aint nobody got time to wait in line and everyone wants their stuff yesterday. 

And for the record I am including myself in that bunch of lazy. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:
45 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Same here. Didn't even know it was different elsewhere. The electronic customs form Whitewulfe mentioned was annoying for me the first time I encountered it because it took me longer to fill out at home than the old form took in the post office. In my small town we don't tend to have long lines at the post office but we do have longer shipping times.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

We have gotten lazy here in the US. Everyone has somewhere to be ten minutes ago and aint nobody got time to wait in line and everyone wants their stuff yesterday. 

"Lazy" - I don't think that means what you think it means.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yeah.  So weird.  So used to the line here, since I use FlexDelivery, and I don't have a printer, so I bring the info in with me, and they print me a nice label! ^_^

• Like 2