Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Ebay - it's just not fun anymore

With the rise of sites like Craigslist, Amazon which now sells everything (remember when it was just books), Facebook markets, etc., it's no wonder that eBay is past its prime.

Heck even sites like Kijiji, who compete with Craigslist, are owned by eBay.

I still make use of eBay maybe once a year. Lately, it was to buy a refurbished high-end Yamaha receiver. The previous year's model, a fraction of the price, from a reputable reseller. Even with shipping costs, it remained the best deal I could find. For the rest, yeah, overpriced, or ridiculous shipping costs.

The rare deal is indeed very rare. I like the comparison to "flea markets", as there was a big Sunday flea market where I grew up, and the book seller was notorious to arrive very early, buy books cheap from casual sellers, and resell them at a higher cost at his own table. [Sigh] Even used bookstores are getting more and more scarce.

Ah, the good old days, where you would anxiously wait for the counter to nearly reach 00:00:00 to snipe-bid at the very last moment. Only to realize umpteen other people were trying the same thing, so you "F5" refreshed at every possible moment on your 56Kbps modem. I won a few, I lost a few.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

With the rise of sites like Craigslist, Amazon which now sells everything (remember when it was just books), Facebook markets, etc., it's no wonder that eBay is past its prime.

I still make use of eBay maybe once a year. Lately, it was to buy a refurbished high-end Yamaha receiver. The previous year's model, a fraction of the price, from a reputable reseller. Even with shipping costs, it remained the best deal I could find. For the rest, yeah, overpriced, or ridiculous shipping costs.

The rare deal is indeed very rare. I like the comparison to "flea markets", as there was a big Sunday flea market where I grew up, and the book seller was notorious to arrive very early, buy books cheap from casual sellers, and resell them at a higher cost at his own table. [Sigh] Even used bookstores are getting more and more scarce.

Ah, the good old days, where you would anxiously wait for the counter to nearly reach 00:00:00 to snipe-bid at the very last moment. Only to realize umpteen other people were trying the same thing, so you "F5" refreshed at every possible moment on your 56Kbps modem. I won a few, I lost a few.

I used to buy a fair amount of GW stuff that way. I relaxed on the last minute sniping after I won a last minute bid on some Eldar tanks that cost me a bit more with shipping than I could have bought them at the nearest store. Since then I bid what I want to pay and don't look at them again until the auction's finished. Don't use Ebay much now and tend to hit "Buy it now" when I do. The cross border shipping and customs charges are ridiculous on so many things but sometimes it's the only way to get what I'm looking for.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

"Lazy" - I don't think that means what you think it means.

Lazy was a bad choice of words on my part. Believe me I know "lazy" I worked in the school system for a few years, I did not go back because of the lazy children, anyways,

lazy... Busy would be a better term, but still not hitting the mark imo. Lines have gotten to be an inconvenience. Everyone is trying to fit so much into their day, that in a way it is less full. 

• Like 9

I don't mind the standing in line, I do mind having to declare the value even on trivial items. I realize it's only a couple of extra steps, but I don't like dealing with people on the best of days.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Loim said:

I occasionally buy things on Ebay, but less and less, for reasons mentioned above. I refuse to sell on Ebay because I won't ship outside the US. Even to friends. It's just too much of a hassle for me. 

Does this mean you can’t list something as only available to US addresses?

• Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 7:58 AM, TGP said:

Does this mean you can’t list something as only available to US addresses?

I list anything I sell as US only.

Also, I learned long ago to decide what I was willing to pay for an item. I will put my max bid in and if I get it, great. If not, okay too. I also have no compunction about making an offer on a buy it now.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5

On 9/26/2019 at 10:32 AM, Cranky Dog said:

Which is why I use automated software that lets me set my max. bid days ahead and then forget about it.

Either i get it for the price I'm willing to pay without being pressured or some other fool  bidder who wants it more gets it, without getting caught up in a bidding war.

I learned a long time ago that the people with the fastest internet connection have a consistent edge playing that game.  The only way to level the playing field being to use the automated software direct from a server farm that's on the backbone of the Internet.

GEM

• Like 5

t

On 9/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, CashWiley said:

One of the very few KD minis I've sold from my collection (a spare 1st run TK) went for a bundle...to China. I was really worried about having a problem with the buyer, but I never heard a peep other than getting the payment and address. It was also an experience at the post office, since nobody knew how to map the address to a label (the fields didn't align well).

It kind of soured me on selling, though, because I had done everything I could figure out to limit it to North American buyers only!

In the scenario you described you have the option to refuse the bid of the bidder outside of the area you have specified as willing to sell/ship to.  You then accept the bid of the next highest bidder and notify them that they are the winner for, reasons.

Oh for the days before computers mucked up International Mail.  Used to be you just put the address on the letter/package and it was up to the various Postal Services to figure it out along the way.  They generally managed to do it efficiently and with a fair degree of dispatch.

GEM

• Like 3

Been a long time since I sold minis on eBay. I think the last was 2007. (Yes, once upon a time you could make money selling painted minis on eBay for a profit.)

Shipping was already getting strange, and was the #1 reason why I stopped.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5