Sign in to follow this  
Rob Dean

More Dux Bellorum Saxons

20 hours ago, Iridil said:

Nice units - and clean casting - much better than what I used to get back in the day.

A little antimony in the alloy helps—it expands slightly on cooling, so helps fill the molds better.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      I’ve been finishing up miscellaneous projects off my bench lately.  Here is the first of the late Roman (or Romano-British successor kingdoms) infantry:

The actual castings are a bit rough; everyone is made from Prince August or Dutkins Lil Army molds, and most of the figures are assembled from multiple pieces.  I’d be interested sometime to know who thought that it would be a good idea to cast small 25s with separate heads and weapons...

• By Rob Dean
      Without going into the whole background, these guys are from Prince August “Irish Wild Geese” 40mm semi-flat home casting molds.  I’ve been working with these molds and figures for almost thirty years at this point, and have enough for most purposes, so it’s been a while since I painted any.  Pictures of games with them can be found on my blog.  We generally paint them somewhere in the classic toy soldier spectrum rather than as museum-style diorama miniatures, and these, like the rest of my collection, are done in fictitious uniforms for imaginary countries. (Or “imagi-nations” in historical miniature wargamer jargon...)

While they may presently get their own cannon, here they are grouped around one of my generic spares, to show that the field hockey player is really aiming by using a lever to move the trail.

• By Beagle
      Zombies in various historical uniforms (No British uniforms of course, we're always the goodies)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687110463/dead-through-time-28mm-undead-zombie-historical-mi?ref=discovery&term=zombie historical
    • By Rob Dean
      With my British infantry unit done, I finally sat down this morning to get started on French Revolution project expansion unit #2 (of 7+).  This time it's British cavalry, and with the rules we'll be using (A Gentleman's War), the default cavalry unit is six figures.

My recent casting sessions have produced the parts, so it's now a case of assembling them into some semblance of what I'm looking for:

I see that I will be going back to file off even more of the original lapels and lace from the basic casting, and I'm going to try to add the rest of the helmet crest with some green stuff before painting.  

I built up the first figure as a test this morning.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 138 Guests (See full list)