So, I have used the basic Reaper brushes and some cheap ones from Target. I bought a slightly better set from Amazon. I finally decided to buy a Winsor and Newton #7 now that I feel like I semi know what I am doing. I got it from Amazon. It came in a Winsor tube with a clear cover. I started using it and now I am getting a lot of errant hairs and a split tip. I ordered a replacement, just got it. It's doing the same thing. Does Amazon not sell real Winsor and Newton brushes or am I doing something wrong? The reason I bought one was to get better control and longevity out of my brushes, but both of these are the opposite of quality so far. I have attached a picture for reference. Any help would be appreciated.

20190920_200134.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looking at the pic the problem is you letting the belly of the brush to adsorbe the paint up to the ferrule. This will definetely destroy Kolinsky bristles.
You may fix it using a brush restorer and keeping the paint away from the ferrule.

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had a Windsor and Newton brush that also liked to split.  Some brush restorer and conditioner did improve it, but only somewhat.  I've heard that they can be hit or miss when you order them from Amazon, a good art supply store will let you test it in water before buying.  I've switched to different brushes entirely.  You might want to look at Dick Blick instead of Amazon--they are specifically an art store and won't keep trying to resell the same defective brushes, which is what I suspect Amazon does.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Flash Swaggins said:

I haven't even painted with the replacement, though, and it's doing the same thing.

Oh, well... probably a defective one. I'm reading around the web that the quality of the W&N is dropping lately... but getting two in a row... anyway the god thing about amazon is you may ask for replacement until you'll get a good one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Get them from Jackson's Art - free shipping level is easy to reach, and you can get #1s for about 11 bucks and #2s for 13.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Spend a few dollars and get Creature Caster's drunken brush goop; better for sable brushes and includes a conditioner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stopped using Windsor and Newton Series 7 brushes because I seemed to frequently get brushes that had a split tip under moderate load after the first brush.  I’ve never had that problem with Da Vinci Maestro Series 10 brushes.

Ron

• Like 8

On 9/22/2019 at 2:29 PM, LittleBluberry said:

...hit or miss when you order them from Amazon...

Absolutely agree.  Whatever one thinks of Amazon, it quality control for pulling and packing items has been, in my experience, a consistent problem.  I've ordered brushes from Amazon and they have routinely arrived with no protective cover or the cover has fallen off.  With the result of hairs pointing every which way.

Except for cheap dry brushing or base coat brushes, I don't do Amazon for brushes anymore.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2019 at 8:04 AM, IgwanaRob said:

...Jackson's Art - free shipping level is easy to reach....

I just ordered a couple of Jackson's house brand Kolinskys.  Just to check them out.  Realized that, not only was shipping free, but I also did not have to pay sales tax.  Think I found my next supplier.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

I just ordered a couple of Jackson's house brand Kolinskys.  Just to check them out.  Realized that, not only was shipping free, but I also did not have to pay sales tax.  Think I found my next supplier.

I actually forgot that brush-only orders ship free, and they ship quickly as well.

• Like 3

They also sometimes throw in a mechanical pencil or other trinket for free, as well. 

You'd almost think that they've nicked a page from Reaper's customer service manual. 

They have a lot of neat stuff, though, so be very careful about 'wandering' out of the brush section. Or looking around too much in that one section.   

• Like 6

Just got mail from Jacksons informing me of a rewards program .... not too overwhelming.  But, over time, it could save you a quid or two.

For every £1 you spend with Jackson's, you'll receive 10 points. 1000 points give you £1 credit to use on your next order.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1