Crowley

Inktober/Drawlloween

So working on day 8 but 7’s done and well I’ve decided 6 is at an okay stopping point.

Spoiler

10-6 Husky8E78A344-3245-439B-8FA1-789680293E17.thumb.jpeg.aa80cce0cb3ef1868b2213004f2decfb.jpeg

I like my pup, but I need to get over feeling like I need to fill the page (top third that I cut is blank, think if I come up with a cute/ funny saying for there it’ll stop feeling unfinished)

Spoiler

10-7 Enchanted and Octopus 

CE2F3152-91D5-4DA5-8A07-477758DF29C5.thumb.jpeg.7aef67705068988d29ff505fac54b832.jpeg an octopus mage complete with starfish wand.

So now to pick one of the different ideas I have for today and run with it.

Edited by Wyvernfire
  • Like 10

08: "Whale Shark+Selkie"

IMG_20191008_214931512.thumb.jpg.646cc282956d529965e6eced344b595f.jpg

Prismacolor markers, per usual.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

So, who else has used the Prismacolor markers? They're fairly new to me, and I like that they've got brush tips... For outlining things, I love them and I like the variable line weights the brush gives me. But for fill? I kinda just feel like a kindergartner, and I wish I could get a smoother fill with fewer strokes visible.

I assume my paper might be part of the problem... Everything I've done this month has been on 60lb "sketch" paper from Dick Blick...it feels fairly smooth, but the markers just suck right didn't into it.

This is where my almost complete lack of formal training fails me: I'd like to experiment, but I have little clue which direction to start.

5 hours ago, Sanael said:

So, who else has used the Prismacolor markers? They're fairly new to me, and I like that they've got brush tips... For outlining things, I love them and I like the variable line weights the brush gives me. But for fill? I kinda just feel like a kindergartner, and I wish I could get a smoother fill with fewer strokes visible.

I assume my paper might be part of the problem... Everything I've done this month has been on 60lb "sketch" paper from Dick Blick...it feels fairly smooth, but the markers just suck right didn't into it.

This is where my almost complete lack of formal training fails me: I'd like to experiment, but I have little clue which direction to start.

Might be. I'm using a Canson Mixed Media paper (about 138lb, very thick, not very smooth). I've got Prismacolour pens (I use the black ones for lining, OFTEN), and did use them for the black/white drawing on Day 3. Judge for yourself the results?

I usually use Aquabee Super Deluxe for pencils, but it's really too thin for anything wet. Especially my Copics ... ^^;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not really my area of expertise, I'm afraid (marker art wasn't treated seriously when I was in school). I see a lot of marker art online, but I've no idea how people get their colors so smooth.

I would think you would want a heavier-weight, smooth-finish, bleedproof paper.

Prismacolor makes good art pencils. I don't know much about their markers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never used Prismacolor markers, but looking at your drawings, I would guess that they are the culprit. I've used my Copics and Blick markers on sketch paper and never had the streaking like I'm seeing on your fills. Usually the issues I run into when using the wrong paper are more along the lines of pilling or paper tears. Google says that the prismacolor markers are alcohol based so you may have better luck by putting down a layer with the blender marker first, and then coloring over it so the marker blends together better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all. 

Pingo, I do love Prismacolor pencils; anything I've done with color in the last 20 years has used them (or chalk pastels)... But I'm forcing myself to use these markers because A. INKtober and B. I won't ever figure them out if I don't use them.

I think this coming weekend I'll wander over to my local artists' shop (there's a Blick retail front nearby, but thankfully they haven't driven the mom&pop out of business yet) and see what they can suggest as far as paper, and maybe look at a blender marker, since my set doesn't have one.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Pingo said:
6 hours ago, Sanael said:

Not really my area of expertise, I'm afraid (marker art wasn't treated seriously when I was in school). I see a lot of marker art online, but I've no idea how people get their colors so smooth.

I would think you would want a heavier-weight, smooth-finish, bleedproof paper.

Prismacolor makes good art pencils. I don't know much about their markers.

There are particular pads of opaque paper specifically made for markers. Also, Heavy tracing paper works out well. 

A couple of few marker tricks/techniques:

• Put the blob of marker colour down first. Then come back and clean up the edge with black outlining.
  • Try colouring on the BACK of tracing paper. It creates a muted version of the marker colour.
  • A bright white Prismacolor pencil is the go-to tool for adding highlights.
  • Dark outlining can be warm dark or cold dark instead of black. Try dark browns or a reflex blue/navy blue respectively.
  • Leave a touch of paper between an outline and the colour on some edges. This is another way to get a highlight, especially back-edge high lights.

d48c18df-8e81-4d6b-af7c-a5245887f008_1.a

51gFgGd-KYL.jpg

Layout paper / Layout bond is another option. I don't know if it is slightly different from Marker paper or just another name for the same thing.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, TGP. That's a good bit of help.

... Why have I never seen that paper before?! Seems like the question "what's a good paper for this set of markers" would prompt an art store owner to point out "Manga/Marker illustration paper." Weird.:unsure:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Thanks, TGP. That's a good bit of help.

... Why have I never seen that paper before?! Seems like the question "what's a good paper for this set of markers" would prompt an art store owner to point out "Manga/Marker illustration paper." Weird.:unsure:

If they're like Pingo, and have no real experience with markers, how would they know? 

I'd ask someone that you know uses markers a lot; if not specifically the Prismas, than Sakura, or Copic ; they're not /exactly the same/, my Copics seem to be wetter, if that makes any kind of sense at all, and spread more than the Prismacolors. Whatever alcohol the Prismas use seems to be less noticeable; the Copics REEK, the Prismacolours don't so much. They're also rather smaller.

I haven't actually used marker paper (I had no idea there WAS such a thing!) but I keep hearing people talk about Bristol board; a lot of the people who use markers seem to really like it. It's a lot smoother than anything I've used before, which makes me, personally, a little wary. But, what the hey, get a few different kinds, from different manufacturers, try 'em all, see what you like best. 

• Like 2

Oh, right, Inktober. 

Day 9, Swing, Eyeball.

20191009_114236.thumb.jpg.5e67803544ce8000e31885034d2e023f.jpg

Just a nice Greek girl.... >_>

Edited by Sylverthorne
lost a word there...
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1