Sign in to follow this  
Heisler

The Next Project - A Chicken

I would support an exception to allow him to be entered into next year's ReaperCon MSP Open, but only if you publish or provide photos of him on the airplane.

::D:

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, CherylSundseth said:

Very nice.  :winkthumbs:

Like the attitude/face.  How tall is he?  How many hours do you think it will take? 

He’s pretty short, only 52” tall. 

In carousel terms he is a stander, all feet on the ground. 

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Heisler said:

He’s pretty short, only 52” tall. 

In carousel terms he is a stander, all feet on the ground. 

I agree that he's a stander, but by my understanding, that's not the definition. IIUC, a stander is a sculpture that doesn't rise and fall as the carousel moves, which might not mean that all feet are on the "ground".

This sculpture is advertised as a stander, for instance:

Dentzel-stander-repro-romance

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I would support an exception to allow him to be entered into next year's ReaperCon MSP Open, but only if you publish or provide photos of him on the airplane.

::D:

I second this suggestion, but I would be willing to accept road trip pictures of him in multiple places between Denver and Denton.  

Very cool project Heisler - can't wait to see what the final result looks like. 

• Like 2

Take some staged photos of him far away and you up close, so that it seems like a mini (Gandalf & Frodo trickery sorts of shenanigans). It is a mini if you pretend hard enough!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I agree that he's a stander, but by my understanding, that's not the definition. IIUC, a stander is a sculpture that doesn't rise and fall as the carousel moves, which might not mean that all feet are on the "ground".

This sculpture is advertised as a stander, for instance:

Dentzel-stander-repro-romance

That is indeed a stander, three feet on the ground. A stander is any “horse” with 3-4 feet on the ground and yes, typically do not go up and down. I didn’t give a definition for him, just told you what it was. But since we are there the other two types are Gallopers (sometimes called a Jumper) and Prancers. Gallopers have all four feet off the ground. Prancers have two feet on and two feet off any may or may not go up and down depending on the leg configuration.

6FD07168-6B9B-4D70-B770-DEEF49B41760.jpeg

A Galloper

9BE77ED2-F3FF-4A29-BD67-6F00A90233E7.jpeg

Definitely a stander, he weighs in at over 500#

89738D18-BAE4-44A9-A3A1-644F90CCA751.jpeg

An original carousel horse - a galloper

743E4C55-77AF-49D9-AD0E-47251EC99E73.jpeg

A Patriot or Flag Horse - Stander

EE61A7BC-B104-44C2-96B3-756AA1BD3407.jpeg

A Galloper

68E1C5C6-82E9-4E58-B678-41974EC5C0CB.jpeg

Another Galloper

All of these were carved by my dad, except for the one under going restoration (which we have traded away since he passed away).  I painted the hippocampus, the black galloper and the white galloper. My dad was working on painting the lion and the Patriot was painted by Ken Means a professional carousel carver and my dad's mentor on the subject.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 13