Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
It's that time of year again. Those of us in the US have a 3 day holiday weekend coming up (May 24-27) and I am challenging you all to join me in a massively multiplayer paint binge! Everyone is welcome to join, even if you can only paint for one day.
The object is to finish as many figures as possible. Quantity counts over quality. All manufacturers are fair game, posting of WIPs and finished pieces is strongly encouraged. You may prep and prime figures before hand, in fact I recommend it. Get out all those new Bones, old primed or half painted figures and get ready to finish them!
Got an army to finish, need to move some half painted terrain off your desk, want to tackle that dragon for the big figure contest? This is the time. All manufacturers are fair game.
Prep and prime your figures now so they are all ready to go Saturday morning (or if you're taking a 4 day weekend, Friday morning). Have your camera ready to share photos. Photos strongly encouraged!
For this holiday there is a special extra challenge: paint a figure in memory of a lost friend, pet or loved one. Anything goes.
Painting begins at 00:01 May 24 and ends 23:59 May 27, in your time zone.
Those of you who video chat are welcome to set up channels.
Link to 2017 Challenge
Link to 2016 Challenge
Sometime in the middle of 2018 I pulled out this old GW Mordheim Ogre Mercenary mini, and poked at it a bit, intending on painting him up pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, I did the base intending on using it for the dire boar, but then decided that it didn’t work for that mini. I have only a vague idea of how I primed it, but I think I mixed Reaper’s Brush On White Primer with… Grey Liner? Maybe? After priming it I started painting the flesh with… maybe Tanned Shadow? Maybe Ruddy Flesh? Since then I haven’t done anything with it, and he’s been looking at me accusingly the whole time.
Blurry picture cropped from the background of a work table shot where the ogre sat unloved
So time to get it done.
Going back over the skin, I reblocked in with Ruddy Flesh. I used a bit of Walnut Brown to darken it for the shadows, and Rusty Red for the nose, cheeks, ears, and lip to make it look more fleshy. I used Linen White for the eyes, teeth and nails. Both the teeth and nails are going to need significant yellowing.
The shirt was painted with Muddy Olive, while the jacket was painted with Rusty Red, while just about everything else has been painted with Walnut Brown.
More to come!
So I mentioned working on a few old minis while I was also working on My Women in Horror Tribute... this is the thread for my continued work on those this spring.
The oldest is Dark Sword's Male Fighter with Spear. I got that for a GURPS campaign PC that fizzled out. I had done crazy magic blue eyes, and a very thin layer of green on the cloak, and then it's been sitting on the shelf since 2013. I haven't felt capable of tackling it. it's got tiny eyes.
Next I started working on the smaller of the fierce felines, to do some weird approximation of my cat Moose (in my profile photo). That was my first experiment with blue liner on a metal mini. Now I would mix in medium. Anyway, I had a blue and white base coat before it disappeared to the shelf. Here is where this started.
I don't remember when I started working on the Whispering Tyrant - it's after the other two. I had some armor and bone basecoats and a green cloak.
Mostly I just tried to do more on the green cloaks. I'll upload photos of where things are at after that first session when my phone is done charging.
I did some more work last night too, but I haven't taken pictures yet. I'll probably try to do some painting tonight too. Then a few days of silence.
I've decided to start working on reducing the number of half painted, primed, assembled and partially assembled figures I've got scattered around the house on various shelves, trays, boxes, cases, cupboards, desks and tables, mostly because I'm running out of room for all this stuff and once painted they can get crammed on the "painted stuff" shelves.
I decided to do these first.
This came as a set of three I think, and I'm pretty sure it was from the old Mega Minis, but they have been out of the blister for a number of years, so not positive.
They were already assembled and primed and the wood was mostly done. This was the way I used to do wood back in the day, which is basically while primer with Reaper Pro Paint Wood Stain Ink slathered over it. I just touched it up a bit (my bottle of that was still good), I'm just going for table top here.
I decided to do the spears in three different colours in case these get used in a D&D session or something, so they are easily identifiable.
Happy to see them migrate from the shelves of shame to the shelves of painted stuff!
Bones2 Hatchling Beauty Pageant
June 2016 - August 31st 2016
1. Paint ONE of the FOUR dragon hatchlings:
77271: Dragon Hatchling Blue
77272: Dragon Hatchling Green
77273: Dragon Hatchling Black
77274: Dragon Hatchling Red
2. You don't have to paint them per the color description, paint them any color you like. The base should also be painted in some manner. The hatchlings came with the core set of Bones II so anyone who bought the core set from that should have them, or pick one up from your FLGS (Friendly Local Gaming Store) if you like!
3. Post your entry by midnight CST on August 31st, 2016. Only post photos in this thread, any questions/comments can be had in the discussion thread here. As many photos per figure as seems reasonable, please try to post per the forum rules on photo sizes. If you decide to paint all four hatchlings, please just pick one to enter here so it is simplified for voting, but you can link to your show-off post for your other ones if you like.
4. Check back September 1st or 2nd and we'll set up the voting.
5. Have fun! A beauty pageant is just to give you a chance to paint the same figure as a bunch of other like minded folks. Whether you are a true beginner or have been painting for years, whether you are a master, paint only for tabletop, or still have a lot to learn this is a great way to participate in a challenge and just have fun. Hope to see your beautiful entries, hit me up in the discussion thread for any questions! Thanks!
Who's Online 38 Members, 2 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)
- Wolf Munroe
- Lord of the Dish Pit
- Rob Dean
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Chris Palmer
- Rainbow Sculptor