Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
All theatres and event locations in Switzerland are closed again, so it's back to short-time work for me.
I figured I might as well use the extra time I now have to confront the minis that have accumulated on my shelf of shame. While I have enough unpainted minis to last me for a lifetime (or more...) there were a few I gave up on for one reason or another. Those are the ones ending up on this shelf. Having enough of their accusing stares, I'm going to tackle them, one by one. Some will be fun, some will mean I have to face my nightmares from the past, all will teach me valuable lessons.
This rules I set for myself:
Project runs until my regular work starts again - or until the shelf is cleared (I really hope for the former...) For every two minis I finish I may pick a new one from my collection of unpainted minis (but I don't have to) I will try to post an update every other day or so, mostly to keep me motivated because a lot of this isn't necessarily fun. Those minis all ended up on the shelf for a reason.
So, recently me, my dad, and my grandpa*, most of whom are excellent woodworkers (with the exception of me) made a collaborative effort at making me a new shelf for my minis, as my old one was just a board nailed into the wall. A pretty piece of scrap, but scrap none the less.
Continuing the trend, we used only scrapwood for this shelf. Thus, no cost, except for some stain (which I stole from my dad, so uh, no cost there either).
*My grandpa is no joke Santa Claus. A bit of a potbelly, big bushy white beard, glasses, likes cookies and milk, and get this - he makes toys.
Right now it's just sitting atop a bookshelf, but I may hang it up on the wall if I'm so inclined.
Doesn't look the prettiest, but not bad for being made solely of scrapwood!
It's also now a dishonor to me, as there are waaaay too many unpainted minis on that shelf. That will soon change, however...
Note: We did put in an extra notch, as you see at the top. The boards that are the shelves get really stuck in that one, plus it leaves no room for my big minis, so I decided to leave that one vacant.
It's that time of year again. Those of us in the US have a 3 day holiday weekend coming up (May 24-27) and I am challenging you all to join me in a massively multiplayer paint binge! Everyone is welcome to join, even if you can only paint for one day.
The object is to finish as many figures as possible. Quantity counts over quality. All manufacturers are fair game, posting of WIPs and finished pieces is strongly encouraged. You may prep and prime figures before hand, in fact I recommend it. Get out all those new Bones, old primed or half painted figures and get ready to finish them!
Got an army to finish, need to move some half painted terrain off your desk, want to tackle that dragon for the big figure contest? This is the time. All manufacturers are fair game.
Prep and prime your figures now so they are all ready to go Saturday morning (or if you're taking a 4 day weekend, Friday morning). Have your camera ready to share photos. Photos strongly encouraged!
For this holiday there is a special extra challenge: paint a figure in memory of a lost friend, pet or loved one. Anything goes.
Painting begins at 00:01 May 24 and ends 23:59 May 27, in your time zone.
Those of you who video chat are welcome to set up channels.
Link to 2017 Challenge
Link to 2016 Challenge
Sometime in the middle of 2018 I pulled out this old GW Mordheim Ogre Mercenary mini, and poked at it a bit, intending on painting him up pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, I did the base intending on using it for the dire boar, but then decided that it didn’t work for that mini. I have only a vague idea of how I primed it, but I think I mixed Reaper’s Brush On White Primer with… Grey Liner? Maybe? After priming it I started painting the flesh with… maybe Tanned Shadow? Maybe Ruddy Flesh? Since then I haven’t done anything with it, and he’s been looking at me accusingly the whole time.
Blurry picture cropped from the background of a work table shot where the ogre sat unloved
So time to get it done.
Going back over the skin, I reblocked in with Ruddy Flesh. I used a bit of Walnut Brown to darken it for the shadows, and Rusty Red for the nose, cheeks, ears, and lip to make it look more fleshy. I used Linen White for the eyes, teeth and nails. Both the teeth and nails are going to need significant yellowing.
The shirt was painted with Muddy Olive, while the jacket was painted with Rusty Red, while just about everything else has been painted with Walnut Brown.
More to come!
So I mentioned working on a few old minis while I was also working on My Women in Horror Tribute... this is the thread for my continued work on those this spring.
The oldest is Dark Sword's Male Fighter with Spear. I got that for a GURPS campaign PC that fizzled out. I had done crazy magic blue eyes, and a very thin layer of green on the cloak, and then it's been sitting on the shelf since 2013. I haven't felt capable of tackling it. it's got tiny eyes.
Next I started working on the smaller of the fierce felines, to do some weird approximation of my cat Moose (in my profile photo). That was my first experiment with blue liner on a metal mini. Now I would mix in medium. Anyway, I had a blue and white base coat before it disappeared to the shelf. Here is where this started.
I don't remember when I started working on the Whispering Tyrant - it's after the other two. I had some armor and bone basecoats and a green cloak.
Mostly I just tried to do more on the green cloaks. I'll upload photos of where things are at after that first session when my phone is done charging.
I did some more work last night too, but I haven't taken pictures yet. I'll probably try to do some painting tonight too. Then a few days of silence.
Who's Online 14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)