Sign in to follow this  
Erion

CAV RPG

I just had a thought about this. I was digging through some of my old RPG stuff and came across TSR's old Alternity Game.

For those of you familiar with it, how well do you think the system could pull it off? And if you think it could be done well, do you think WotC would be willing to part with the rights to the system, especially considering they no longer support it in any official capacity?

You should consider running a CAV RPG in the Sandbox. . . . I'd bet you'd find takers.

As for licensing . . . Reaper is already a d20 Licensee, (Remember Eldest Son, and the soon Viscious Circle?). CAV RPG d20 . . . Hmm......I'll think about it.

Of note Alternity is not covered under any version of the OGL or SRD.

This is a proprietary gaming engine develioped specificially for Alternity and their modern game... which was abandoned right before the OGL was released to the world and D20 3.0.

Again it is not covered under ANY SRD.

But who knows, WoTC may be willing to sell the engine for the right price.

::D:

Yes, but the way I envision an RPG in the CAV Universe if you actually encounter Mecha as anything other than scene dressing, something has gone terribly, horrociously wrong.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, that is your syle (and incidentally mine, when I run MW3 games Mechs ARE window dressing), But that is not the style of most mecha heads I know off. Heck gone back to the ol' campaign and yes Mechs are still window dressing... and not cenral to the story either. Then agaiin the campaign has grown in directions that FASA or FANPRO woudl ever go to... ALIENS... Drake's Law you know the drill... but Mecha remain as window dressing. That is MY style and that is YOUR style... the other day reading some posts on the MW 3 list I realized just how rare we both are.

In fact after reading that list I realize this even more now than before:

Most Mecha heads LOVE to pilot that big hunking piece of metal, whether it is Mech, CAV, or Heavy Gear (or Gier Krieg if you want for the pulpy flavor)

So if the CAVs become window dressing, why should a Mecha Head buy it?

I know innocent question, but important question.

::D:

But hey I don't really care, but those who do should point this out.

when I run MW3 games Mechs ARE window dressing

My pc's have just discovered that a heavy fighter or an assault dropship can eat mechs for breakfast. oh and picture this.. Martial arts battlemech, a Phoenix Hawk L.A.M. and a full throttle, hybrid mode, dropkick. yeah your legs are toast, but you should see the other guy :) What's the point of having the toys in the book if you never get to use it.. it's like telling a kid you can look at the candy, you can smell the candy you can even hold the candy... but don't eat the candy. stupid in my opinion... if you can't use everything the universe can provide then your skills at running the game are lacking.. either step up or step down

but that's just my style :devil:

I think that the use of mecha or the no use of mecha would be entirely dependant on the scenario/campaign being run. If you want to use them only as window dressing then by all means do so, same thing if the game calls for a mechhead piloting a tin can in a game.

If you start up a CAV rpg in the Sandbox let me know I'll play. CAV's, no CAV' s that's fine with me.

I think that the use of mecha or the no use of mecha would be entirely dependant on the scenario/campaign being run. If you want to use them only as window dressing then by all means do so, same thing if the game calls for a mechhead piloting a tin can in a game.

If you start up a CAV rpg in the Sandbox let me know I'll play. CAV's, no CAV' s that's fine with me.

Second the Motion

If you start up a CAV rpg in the Sandbox let me know I'll play. CAV's,  no CAV' s that's fine with me.

Second the Motion

Third it

If you start up a CAV rpg in the Sandbox let me know I'll play. CAV's,  no CAV' s that's fine with me.

Second the Motion

Third it

4th it.

Don't get your hopes up fellas. ::(:

I wasn't even thinking about it until we get some more background about how things work in the galaxy at large. Heavy Words, however, should go a long way toward fixing that.