Sign in to follow this  
Knight of the Dinner Table

CMON Time Machine

14 hours ago, Tasso said:

Well, I’m done with CMON. 

My package was either stolen off my doorstep in the ten minutes between alleged delivery and when I got an email from FedEx (which I happened to be signed up for) or was delivered to the wrong location and lost. If the driver did drop it on the right doorstep, he did nothing to notify us so we could bring it inside. 

After confirming with FedEx that the package was truly lost, I submitted a claim to CMON. Their official position is that, because the package was marked delivered (supposedly somewhere in my general proximity), the loss is entirely mine and they will do nothing. 

I didn’t really expect a replacement, given most of this stuff is out of print. I did think they would do right by a customer who had invested heavily in a dozen of their kickstarters and their retail products. File this under the old adage about knowing who you are doing business with. 

I was skeptical about their business moving forward, given their stock delisting  and inability to satisfy their auditors they qualify as a going concern (presumably because they have fallen into the robbing Peter to pay Paul method of KS financing and are risking a death spiral if anything goes far wrong). Add to that the fact that this is their stance on what is a standard risk of the type of business they do (competent companies plan for this type of loss), and it seems foolish to trust them with your money, even if you haven’t yet been personally stung. 

Caveat emptor indeed. 

I'm sorry to read this. But it strengthens my resolve to not give them more than one dollar and not to increase that amount in Ankh's pledge manager (as nice as the minis are).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tasso said:

Unfortunately, they say only the shipper can file such a claim in this case since the package never reached me. If it had arrived damaged, that would be a different story. I pointed out to CMON that only they could get compensation from FedEx, but it didn’t change their refusal to make me whole at all. 

It's pretty unlikely FedEx would pay anything on the claim even if CMON filed one. As far as they are concerned once it's marked delivered that's it. There have been rare occasions people have reported success, but they are exceptions and usually seem happen when a police report is filed.

I once go into a contest with Amazon because the shipper had confirmed a delivery ... to Tucson, Arizona ... about 320 miles from my house.  They kept insisting that the package was confirmed delivered and couldn't seem to grasp that I didn't live there.  I finally spoke to someone, with an IQ above 12, who arranged a replacement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cmorse said:

It's pretty unlikely FedEx would pay anything on the claim even if CMON filed one. As far as they are concerned once it's marked delivered that's it. There have been rare occasions people have reported success, but they are exceptions and usually seem happen when a police report is filed.

FedEx has GPS on its trucks. Their exact wording was that they “couldn’t confirm delivery,” suggesting they may have sent it to the wrong place (or at least had no proof their truck was actually at my house when delivery supposedly happen). If so, I imagine they would have to pay out. But their contract was with CMON, not me. My point was merely that CMON has the option to pursue that remedy, whereas I do not. 

In any case, CMON chose the carrier and elected not to require a signature. As between myself and CMON, any error made by the carrier (whether induced by CMON’s instructions or not) is on CMON, not me. Whether FedEx took the box to the wrong place or merely dropped it on an urban doorstep without notifying the residents it was there in any way (how hard would it really have been to mash the box into the doorbell?), the mistake is imputed to the party who hired FedEx. 

And none of the legal issues detracts from the fact that this is extremely poor customer service, and not the sort of company that merits business when there are far more great minis out there than any of us could ever paint anyway (and more games than any of us could ever play). 

• Like 5

As a FedEx shipper, I've had FedEx pay on several claims - there are several types of things they won't pay on, and the responsibility is on the shipper to do things right to better insure getting compensated - like doing your best to file the claim BEFORE the invoice is due, and not having a bunch of past due invoices. 

There is common one that a lot of shippers do that I do, too - not insuring the package for it's full value.  My contract with FedEx covers the first $100 worth of value - if what I'm shipping is worth more than that, I have to tell them that, otherwise, $100 is the max I'm getting. 

Since FedEx has lost/damaged relatively few of my packages over the years, I deem the cost savings vs what I'll lose to be worth it. I'm gambling, but overall, the gamble has paid off. I've had a couple packages lost that were worth a few hundred, and I had to eat the loss, but I've saved at least 5x that in shipping costs. 

Based on what I've seen/heard about CMON, I'll bet that they didn't declare full value either, and probably don't have anyone who takes the proper steps to get compensated by FedEx - and instead of doing the right thing, they've decided to pass the buck, which, as Tasso said, is poor customer service.

• Like 3