aku-chan

Volturnos! King of the Sea Elves.

Very bright and colorful.  I can see the areas that were tricky, but they are minor.  Overall, wonderful!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments and 'Likes' everyone!

I can still only see the mistakes when I look at it, so I'm glad other people like him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

I can still only see the mistakes when I look at it, so I'm glad other people like him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

We're our own worst critics.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

It is a far better painting job than I could do. So well done

What flaws are you seeing? :huh:

It is a far better painting job than I can do, but it is (sadly?) not better than I can imagine. Improvement suggestions hidden in a tag:

—The boundary between the black edge of the base and the seafloor mud. It wavers a bit. It isn’t a smooth sharp edged ellipse like the bottom edge of the base where it meets the table. I have no idea how to get that perfect...

—The Fish-Beast (what an unusual critter!) has a hind left knee joint (or a bulge where that would be). The painted transition there between the pale blue and the darker blue is a bit awkward... raggedy perhaps. 

—The pale blue underbelly color goes all the way down the whole length of the tentacle-tails. I think it might look better if it tapered away to nothing sooner than that. Because...

—The boundary between pale underbelly blue and hide blue going toward the tails has a... (bumpy?) ...quality that looks very created-by-a-paintbrush where on a sea-creature (even as wyrde as this one) one might expect it to be smooth and sleek. 

—The scales. Those have a basic dark shadow or ink color in the recesses. And then edge high-lighting. Instead... If each scale was a darker blue in the triangular area that blended out to the brighter color at the curved edge plus the recess shading and the white edge highlighting they’d look almost iridescent. Or at least pretty snazzy. But I have only ever seen the world-class pro-painters do such things. Oi! blending every scale... (has the Griffin gone mad?)

You’ll have to tell me if any of ^ those are what’s bugging you. The cloak is superb. The orangey desaturated crests, frills, and fins are very nice. The gold looks good. I can’t tell if it is metallic paints, or NMM, or TMM. What did you go with for that?

Edited by TGP
Wrongly speltt wurds. :/
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TGP said:

It is a far better painting job than I could do. So well done

What flaws are you seeing? :huh:

It is a far better painting job than I can do, but it is (sadly?) not better than I can imagine. Improvement suggestions hidden in a tag:

Hide contents

—The boundary between the black edge of the base and the seafloor mud. It wavers a bit. It isn’t a smooth sharp edged ellipse like the bottom edge of the base where it meets the table. I have no idea how to get that perfect...

—The Fish-Beast (what an unusual critter!) has a hind left knee joint (or a bulge where that would be). The painted transition there between the pale blue and the darker blue is a bit awkward... raggedy perhaps. 

—The pale blue underbelly color goes all the way down the whole length of the tentacle-tails. I think it might look better if it tapered away to nothing sooner than that. Because...

—The boundary between pale underbelly blue and hide blue going toward the tails has a... (bumpy?) ...quality that looks very created-by-a-paintbrush where on a sea-creature (even as wyrde as this one) one might expect it to be smooth and sleek. 

—The scales. Those have a basic dark shadow or ink color in the recesses. And then edge high-lighting. Instead... If each scale was a darker blue in the triangular area that blended out to the brighter color at the curved edge plus the recess shading and the white edge highlighting they’d look almost iridescent. Or at least pretty snazzy. But I have only ever seen the world-class pro-painters do such things. Oi! blending every scale... (has the Griffin gone mad?)

You’ll have to tell me if any of ^ those are what’s bugging you. The cloak is superb. The orangey desaturated crests, frills, and fins are very nice. The gold looks good. I can’t tell if it is metallic paints, or NMM, or TMM. What did you go with for that?

Thanks!

The golden armour is all metallic paint (Vallejo Model Colour Bronze to be specific).

Yeah, there's a few other little areas I'm not happy with, but it's mostly his fish I have issues with, just could not get a handle on how to paint it properly.

I was aiming for a very simplified take on it's official paint-job:-

Spoiler

99120219004_Volturnos01.jpg

But just didn't have the skill to pull it off.

99% of the time I'm happy with the level I paint at, but every so often I have an idea that's just a bit too advanced for me and I get annoyed with myself and my lack of painting ability. This is one of those times.

• Like 1