Sign in to follow this  
Balgin Stondraeg

Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shadowborne-games/oathsworn-into-the-deepwood

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a thread about this one yet but I've been holding off 'til nearer the launch date to share my enthusiasm. Oathsworn: Into the Deepwood is a fantasy boardgame with a distinct Kingdom Death feel (but without the Kingdom Death anime feel). In this game humans live in isolated settlements surrounded by the deep dark forests. Big nasty monsters are a threat to humanity and heroes go out to fight the monsters.

The miniatures are a little on the large scale with the humans being around 35-40mm and the monsters being much larger. For combat players can use a deck of cards or roll dice. The dice are more random whilst the cards have a statistically even spread making them more predictable if that's what you prefer. Inbetween battling terrifying monsters the heroes get to do stuff in their settlements and go monster hunting (which will feature a choice based fighting fantasy/lone wolf/choose your own adventure gameplay element). There is an ally element to permit a vanquished player to continue to take part in a showdown with a temporary character. Some of the six playable characters are not human. There's a barbarian, priest, knight, witch, a plant based forest archer creature and a great armoured warrior bear!

Oh and if, unlike me, you have a mobile phone, the game will have a fully voiced narration app featuring the recognisable voice of James Cosmo (Lord Commander Mormont of the Night's Watch from Game of Thrones).

The project launches on 8th October.

Campaign preview page is up

Oathsworn-Shadowborne-Games.thumb.jpg.94363d3190ed8db07108f0dafc257054.jpg

65975887_2525969367653196_7895119633533894656_n.jpg.d8a57a1a3db38f6e27c0758254f5204f.jpg

61832201_2495539617362838_5405170905556975616_n.jpg.4918bce7186147a576970f7b51b73084.jpg

Edited by SamuraiJack
MOD: added live link, updated tags
  • Like 5

Oh... Okay.

NOT the Oathsworn of Burrows and Badgers fame.

I was confuzzled there for a moment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Oh... Okay.

Not that Oathsworn, no. I must admit I could see the potential for confusion myself.

The human figures are around 35-40mm. The armoured bear is 58mm and the giant broodmother rat is 120mm.

There's a lot of very informative videos but I don't know if I'm allowed to link to videos as the sites they're on might have adverts (Beasts of War, youtube etc).

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg

3 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

There's a lot of very informative videos but I don't know if I'm allowed to link to videos as the sites they're on might have adverts (Beasts of War, youtube etc).

Probably best not to.

Anyone really interest should be able to find them themselves.

Yeah, I got really excited and annoyed (because I don’t have money) for a minute there, but it’s fine. I’m good. 

Thats a cool rat monster though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Anyone really interest should be able to find them themselves.

Hence my mention of the fact that videos do exist :). I thought it better to let people know than to not mention them at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Oh... Okay.

There can only be ONE!

Imagines the owners of said companies duking it out by throwing minis at each other... 

(I imagine that a metal Badger can be pretty lethal if thrown with some force)

• Like 1

Not as excited for this one as I was.

Had a peek at the other enemies in the game, they weren't what I was expecting and were somewhat disappointing.

I'll probably still back at the basic game level, but I might wait and see if any more interesting monsters get added first.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, EvilJames said:

I saw their booth at Gencon. It looks interesting especially the giant rat monster and the tree.

I am trying to get past the disappointment of thinking I was going to get to meet the folks at Oathsworn at gencon and instead ran into this.  Considering the size and quality of the pieces, the cost is fair compared to similar games.  The fact that they were able to get a booth at gencon indicate they have some backing and that the game isn't vaporware.  I'll prolly hop on and see what happens with the campaign, I can always back out if things go south.

• Like 2

I would like to know if they when choosing the name Oathsworn for their game, did not do their due dilligence; or if they actively chose to ignore the fact that there is a company by that name in the industry already.

both options are a bit disconcerting in my book.

Edited by Maledrakh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Maledrakh said:

I would like to know if they when choosing the name Oathsworn for their game, did not do their due dilligence; or if they actively chose to ignore the fact that there is a company by that name in the industry already.

both options are a bit disconcerting in my book.

To be fair, it's the name of their game, not their company.  We see it because of the previous exposure but to blame them for name abuse here is like someone at Notre Dame university being upset because a Euro game about building cathedrals wss called Notre Dame.  

It would be easier to keep separate if the thread listed it as Shadowborne games present Oathsworn:  into the woods, but that's on us, not the manufacturer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

It would be easier to keep separate if the thread listed it as Shadowborne games present Oathsworn:  into the woods, but that's on us, not the manufacturer.

I was trying to avoid the thread title getting too long.

• Like 2

Edit the title to replace 'Oathsworn:' with Shadowborne, then add Shadowborne and a couple of other tags to it?

Sure, it messes up the game title a little bit, but you can get it back on track by using @Kangaroorex line 'Shadowborne Games presents Oathsworn: Into the Deep Woods' just after your intro, and before the link and pictures. Just increase text size and make it Bold. Possibly also pick a different font.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1