77514 Iron Golem - Bones

TheOldGuard

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks amazing!  Which color shift paint did you use on this guy?  I looked at them but had a hard time picturing them on a mini.  This works really well.  You paint a gloss black basecoat and then apply, right?  Did you airbrush or just brush it on?

If you don’t mind me asking, what paints/process did you use to achieve the tarnished metal look on the rest of him?

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Pragma said:

Very nice. The metallics look awesome, and having just a few places with the color shift effect makes it really stand out.

Thanks!

Agreed, I didn't want to overdo it. Less is more I think.

20 hours ago, rubegon said:

That looks amazing!  Which color shift paint did you use on this guy?  I looked at them but had a hard time picturing them on a mini.  This works really well.  You paint a gloss black basecoat and then apply, right?  Did you airbrush or just brush it on?

If you don’t mind me asking, what paints/process did you use to achieve the tarnished metal look on the rest of him?

Many thanks!

The colourshift paint used was Greenstuffworld's "Psychotic Illusions". Yes, painted over a gloss black base. I brushed it on & gave it several very thin coats until the effect started to happen (as recommended by GSW) , I think I did 5 coats for good measure! The paint is quite fluid, goes on very easily & dries quickly.

As for the other paints, it's all Coat d'arms except for some Citadel "shade" paint. Oh & it's mostly (carefully) drybrushed on............ahem :poke:.

I'm sure you could easily find similar colours from your favourite paint manufactures so I'll give a rough colour description also.

1. Gloss black basecoat - Vallejo Game Color

2. Heavy (wetish) drybrush all over leaving some black visible in the shadows - CDA Magic Metal 113 (very dark brown brassy metallic)

3. Lighter, more careful drybrush on the iron sections leaving some Magic Metal still visible - CDA Chainmail 109 (mid tone silver)

4. Edge highlighting on the iron sections - CDA Silver 220 (high tone silver)

5. Careful drybrush on the brass sections - CDA Dwarven Bronze 143 (mid tone reddish bronze, not too coppery)

6. Edge highlighting on the brass sections - CDA Bronze 232 (high tone bronze)

7. Wash applied selectively to the feet & heels for rust effect - Citadel Shade "Fuegan Orange"

8. The colourshift paint was done last after re-blacking those areas.

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

Nice.  I am assuming the blue is a heat stress effect similar what you see in stainless steel that has been exposed to a really hot fire? If so I suggest adding a tinge of purple and maybe even bronze to it.  Notice the fire torched head on this spider.  (best example I could find quickly lol),  I want to do this to mine know that I've seen yours now. lol.

Image result for fire torched steel

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Logos said:

Nice.  I am assuming the blue is a heat stress effect similar what you see in stainless steel that has been exposed to a really hot fire? If so I suggest adding a tinge of purple and maybe even bronze to it.  Notice the fire torched head on this spider.  (best example I could find quickly lol),  I want to do this to mine know that I've seen yours now. lol.

Image result for fire torched steel

Many thanks!

Yes, It is a bit like that.

I'm not sure if adding more colours on top would work (unless maybe they are also colourshift paints) as the effect moves around depending on the ambient light & viewing angle, the colours aren't set "in place" as such. You can best see this in effect on the kneecap in the different pics. It's something I will definately experiment with next time though. ::):