Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Discussion of scale indicators in the store

Please go back to using the triangles on mini pictures. They were easy and simple to see. The baby blocks are nice to show if it's Bones or metal but is not nearly as easy to judge by when trying to figure out how big a mini actually is.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Yeaaah, the 1/4" tall blocks are insanely difficult to see scale, double so compared to the older method of 1/2" and 1" markings, which would actually readily show scale, or at least give you a better idea. 

While we're on the topic, having a piece count for minis would be handy too. 

• Like 9

Two of the "M" or "B" blocks stacked would probably get the job done--I think it was that second triangle that really aided in scale judgments. Show more than one increment. 

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

While we're on the topic, having a piece count for minis would be handy too. 

Old site actually had the components of the mini. Granted this was also used in the Boneyard bits ordering but it would be nice to see again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, haldir said:

Old site actually had the components of the mini. Granted this was also used in the Boneyard bits ordering but it would be nice to see again.

Agreed. Even if I can't order a bit, I can see how something is parted and know if ordering the whole mini for Bits would be worthwhile.

• Like 5

Most problematic is that they shoot the minis from a top down angle instead of straight on, completely making the tiny letter unreliable as a measuring gauge as it's nearly impossible to tell exactly how tall they are when the letters' height is obscured/inflated by 50% or more depending on the angle.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Another problem I've seen with the past two waves of releases.. No scale at all in the picture. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Another problem I've seen with the past two waves of releases.. No scale at all in the picture. 

Agreed. The complete lack of an item for scale or description of it's size is going to be problematic. Less so for 'hero/npc' type minis, though there is a bit of variation in those too, but it's especially a problem for the monsters.  Like, I know the Carnotaurus is bigger than the Axebeak (and the higher price helps to tell me that) but looking at the page right now it actually LOOKS like it's the other way around.  And that is going to be a problem.

I'm also going to to add to this.    Something has changed with the photography and not in a good way.  Examples. 

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/bones/latest/77620 is a regular bones minitarure   

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/figurefinder+plastic/latest/44070 is a bones black released a couple of months back

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/figurefinder+plastic/latest/44070  is one of the new bones black releases.

In the first picture the detail is clearly visible despite being one of the old style bones and thus in a lighter color plastic.  The colored but indistinct background gives a sense of depth.

In the second picture, we have the stark white background, which has a tendency to make the foreground a little dark, but the darker colored plastic really does show off the detail unpainted really well.  I'm not a huge fan of the blank white background however because we loose some of the depth here and things look a little flater.  I get that it was probably done for the look of the thumbnails, where the minis will float over a white background and the edges of the pictures mostly disappear, so I'm not going to complain about that too much.

In the third, something else has changed.  it looks like they turned the brightness up a little so the inside of the cloak doesn't appear as one dark shadow, but that's a rather boring detail area we're focusing on here.  Also, what it's doing is causing the high level details like the hair, the edges of the armor and the swords to completely disappear.  Furthermore it's making the color of the plastic appear much lighter on my screen than I know bones black minis actually are.

Honestly, if I had my pick of the three I'd ask to bring back the mottled indistinct backdrop, but even if I can't get that I would like to see the brightness dialed down a little so we're not loosing detail and contrast in the mini.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Twalrus said:

Would it be doable to just write the miniature's height from the base to the top of the head on the page for it?

Height and base size would be great in for to be included in the descriptions. Unfortunately, with the size of reaper’s catalog, that might be an impractical request. :unsure:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Height and base size would be great in for to be included in the descriptions. Unfortunately, with the size of reaper’s catalog, that might be an impractical request. :unsure:

Even if they just start it with new releases would be a HUGE improvement!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/30/2019 at 12:40 PM, Cygnwulf said:

Examples. 

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/bones/latest/77620 is a regular bones minitarure   

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/figurefinder+plastic/latest/44070 is a bones black released a couple of months back

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/figurefinder+plastic/latest/44070  is one of the new bones black releases.

In the first picture<snip>

In the second picture, <snip>

In the third, <snip>

rethink your links, your second and third are not different

4 hours ago, ladystorm said:

rethink your links, your second and third are not different

Apologies. I have fixed the third one.

I'll also note that the newest item in the store, the dark dwarf pounder, seems a return to previous levels and is much improved

• Like 1