Sign in to follow this  
Newt

Discussion of scale indicators in the store

4 hours ago, ladystorm said:

rethink your links, your second and third are not different

Apologies. I have fixed the third one.

I'll also note that the newest item in the store, the dark dwarf pounder, seems a return to previous levels and is much improved

• Like 1

greetings, I  like to give a suggestion, in the description of yours miniatures they do not specify the size, it would be convenient to put them if they are "medium, large, huge etc". thanks
  •  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Isaac Azios said:
greetings, I  like to give a suggestion, in the description of yours miniatures they do not specify the size, it would be convenient to put them if they are "medium, large, huge etc". thanks
  •  

Since Reaper doesn’t make miniatures for any specific game, I don’t see this happening.

Sizes vary from game to game and can even change between editions of the same game and Reapers been making minis for over 25 years. 

• Like 4

I believe they have dithered back and forth [among] several different ideas for how to show scale or whether to do it at all.

Edited by TGP

An appropriately sized base underneath the broccoli/integral base would be handy--just so long as they tell us which one it is.  Nothing fancy, and it's unobtrusive.

But I'd prefer a grid outline behind the mini--1" would be (IMO) great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, strawhat said:

An appropriately sized base underneath the broccoli/integral base would be handy--just so long as they tell us which one it is.  Nothing fancy, and it's unobtrusive.

But I'd prefer a grid outline behind the mini--1" would be (IMO) great.

As a practical matter, putting a grid behind the item to be photographed has a major tendency to pull the camera's focus to the grid rather than the mini. You have to be quite careful to ensure that you're focusing on the right thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

As a practical matter, putting a grid behind the item to be photographed has a major tendency to pull the camera's focus to the grid rather than the mini. You have to be quite careful to ensure that you're focusing on the right thing.

Is that because ...the camera focuses on the thing farthest back that is not the background? ...the camera focuses on whatever is throughout the frame? ...something else?

It's a daunting task, and often gets shunted over for more pressing critical jobs. I'll see what I can do to get those added when the products get posted.

• Thanks 7

Most minis are photographed from a slight angle, so a background grid would not be entirely accurate unless the grid is 'adjusted' And then you'd have to adjust it again when there's a larger or smaller mini, or the camera is moved to another position.   

The Bryangles was a reasonable solution to the issue since they were beside the mini.  

The current solution with the 'M' and 'B' cubes doesn't realy work as they're just too small. 

One option could be to take a separate picture with a ruler placed vertically next to the mini.

Another option is to to do something like what Oathsworn does, and add a small silhouette of the mini, with height on it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love how Oathsworn has the silhouettes. Handy, and doesn't require photographing at a specific angle, or remembering to grab the correct marker when taking photos. 

• Like 3