Corsair

Starfinder thread

25 minutes ago, Lars Porsenna said:

So how SF is it actually then? Is it like Trek or Star Wars with Elfs & Goblins? Or something more gonzo closer to Spelljammer?

Damon.

It is very much fantasy with lasers. You could play it sort of like star wars, but the deal is that both magic and science have advanced together leading to a lot of mixing and blending of the two. So like the rules will call out if a piece of gear is purely physical or purely magical, because a lot of devices have a mix of a little magic a little engineering. So people get what magic is and it is a known factor of day to day life, same with technology.

You still have gods that interact with the world, and angels and demons running around, but there are also sapient and non-sapient robots, uplifted animals, grey aliens and space battles.

The FTL is a good example of the setting weirdness. To go faster than light, you need to use a magic tech device to shift dimensions to the home plane of the robot god, then use their network of light houses to navigate to about where you want to go. But there's strange stuff going on there. like two ships entering the dimension from starting points with in inches of each other may be out of line of sight when they get there unless their drives are linked. There are stolen chunks of other planes just floating around there. 

But that's only the easiest and cheepest way to get around, you've also got people spread all about the universe due to things like ancient mage gates, dimensional travel, and spell ships. 

I forgot my favorite weird fact of the setting. 

Suns have alignments and personalities that influence the planets around them. So it is totally possible to have a terrible star system because there is an EVIL SUN at the center, or even a solar system that has periodic cataclysms due to a binary star system with one neutral good one chaotic evil.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 1

I am a new player, but I have found it to be a very fun game system. Think of Guardians of the Galaxy attitude.

• Like 1

Got the Starfinder Icons Pack #1 today. I was a little leery about ordering it at $40 but found it on clearance for $22 shipped. The Icons Pack 2 had some poor painting on one of the figs, I mean BAD. So when I got this one I was very pleased to see that all the paint jobs looked very nice, much, much better than the Pack 2.

PS if you get the urge to make a female Vesk Solarian, check out the Heroclix Mona Lisa, she is a big lizard with a translucent sword!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Got the Starfinder Icons Pack #1 today. I was a little leery about ordering it at $40 but found it on clearance for $22 shipped. The Icons Pack 2 had some poor painting on one of the figs, I mean BAD. So when I got this one I was very pleased to see that all the paint jobs looked very nice, much, much better than the Pack 2.

PS if you get the urge to make a female Vesk Solarian, check out the Heroclix Mona Lisa, she is a big lizard with a translucent sword!

I've thought about those packs, but as you said retail price they are way overpriced. Clearance & other discounts they make it tempting.