Starfinder thread

I am starting into Starfinder after getting to play this weekend for the first time. I actually have a whole 2 experience points! There is supposed to be game this Tuesday, so hopefully I can get my Vesk to 2nd Level. He is a Soldier/Bodyguard who was a lot of fun to play. Just reading about the Pahtra and Skittermanders, too.

• Like 4
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried getting Starfinder Society up & running here locally last winter but alas I only had like 1 or 2 people interested. The day ended up going to an extra D&D AL night as the other DM had to quit due to work.

I'd like to get it going here thou. I'm not sure I wanna be up at the FLGS 3 nights a week thou.

• Like 2

I'm an Organized Play Foundation organizer and I have no idea how I'd handle two weeknights a week let alone three. We've been scheduling stuff on weekends instead, and rotating the locations. You could always talk to a local venture-agent and see if they've got any advice. Sometimes a once-a-month schedule or once-every-two-week game will be more palatable for a larger audience.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, terminalmancer said:

I'm an Organized Play Foundation organizer and I have no idea how I'd handle two weeknights a week let alone three. We've been scheduling stuff on weekends instead, and rotating the locations. You could always talk to a local venture-agent and see if they've got any advice. Sometimes a once-a-month schedule or once-every-two-week game will be more palatable for a larger audience.

It would be 2 nights for D&D AL & 1 night for SFS. It most likely would be on PFS night here (Friday). Again, right now I don't feel like being at my game store 3 nights a week. I was starting to feel a bit overwelmed like it was a job right before my vacation earlier this month. The week after I came back, the games kinda were lackluster (Monday I had a player have character problem which took forever to resolve, my fault I should have just assigned him a pregen & went from there & Weds just felt off + I had player/DM interaction problems). Monday last week went well & for the first time I was actually a 5e player vs DM & I'm hoping tomorrow night continues the good vibes.

Again, D&D & PF rule the rpg scene here but the store wants other game running, even if it's not a weekly game, so I've continued to keep SFS in my back pocket when I decide to try & run again. I really hated sitting down there for an hour or more waiting for players.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, haldir said:

It would be 2 nights for D&D AL & 1 night for SFS. It most likely would be on PFS night here (Friday). Again, right now I don't feel like being at my game store 3 nights a week. I was starting to feel a bit overwelmed like it was a job right before my vacation earlier this month. The week after I came back, the games kinda were lackluster (Monday I had a player have character problem which took forever to resolve, my fault I should have just assigned him a pregen & went from there & Weds just felt off + I had player/DM interaction problems). Monday last week went well & for the first time I was actually a 5e player vs DM & I'm hoping tomorrow night continues the good vibes.

Again, D&D & PF rule the rpg scene here but the store wants other game running, even if it's not a weekly game, so I've continued to keep SFS in my back pocket when I decide to try & run again. I really hated sitting down there for an hour or more waiting for players.

That's still either two or three weeknights worth of gaming a week! I don't know how you handle two, honestly.

• Like 2

We ran 2 events yesterday. One was all ground based and the second had multiple scenarios, one of which was ship to ship combat. My years of Battletech came in VERY handy on the ship hex map. SO it was a Society set up running, so they got me registered before we started and even wound up with 2 boons. So hopefully the monthly event they run on the first Tuesday of the month will let me get into it.

2 minutes ago, terminalmancer said:

That's still either two or three weeknights worth of gaming a week! I don't know how you handle two, honestly.

I agree, I run Heroclix on Mondays and Battletech twice monthly, so this is nice just to be a player!

• Like 4

After having no home game here from 2000 to 2018, it doesn't bother me at all to be up there both nights. My only sit at at table with others rpg was when I came down to RCon (which I will admit prepared me well for public GMing, that's for sure).

I love DMing & D&D in general so it's a treat. My FLGS owner puts a tip jar out but I'm more or less, I love the hobby, I'll do it for free. My shop has started a pay to play system, more or less to guarantee a spot at the table as we are a rural town with (I explained this in anther thread) but it sucks for a person to drive, 30 mins & not get a seat. The paid ticket does go straight to store credit that person can use that night for game snacks & such. I tell my players instead of tipping me to just put towards your ticket cost. I'd rather have them there as a player vs having cash in my pocket & I won't be offended if you either don't tip or not show up for a game now due to the pay system (it's 6 bucks a game slot but you get a discount down to 4 if you buy in bulk).

If I can make it to RCon next year (again, I'm planning on goiing, it's just work that tells me if those plans are vaild, that whole Labor Day weekend thing...<_<) I am gonna run the Skittershot adventures (good chance if there is a new one if it's the rpg day game).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

That is a big advantage to Battletech or Heroclix when running, You post the point levels used and it is pretty much just setting up the maps. The amount of prep work you guys put in as GMs has to be rough.

Don't forget that ten minutes I nthe players go in a completely different direction then you're guiding them, so that twenty hours of prep winds up not always being used.. 

• Haha 2

I did have to laugh Saturday on our first SF game. We captured a Space Goblin and two of the members of the team wanted to make him our mascot!  They wouldn't let me strap him to my armor to use him as a meat shield either!

Okay, what type of characters do you guys like to run?

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I did have to laugh Saturday on our first SF game. We captured a Space Goblin and two of the members of the team wanted to make him our mascot!  They wouldn't let me strap him to my armor to use him as a meat shield either!

Okay, what type of characters do you guys like to run?

beware... goblins can get character levels...

I've mostly been the GM. my few times playing have been as a ysoki exocortex mechanic I think I posted the mini I used for them somewhere...

Found them. Ignore the modron

20181028_210504.jpg

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Corsair said:

That is a big advantage to Battletech or Heroclix when running, You post the point levels used and it is pretty much just setting up the maps. The amount of prep work you guys put in as GMs has to be rough.

It might be, but for me, it's not really that bad. Hell, I think the most nerve wracking is gathering up minis that day of the event. I balance my games around my work schedule & working graveyard between Sunday night & Monday night with a game inbetween is the hard one to manage & that is due to that pesky sleeping part. It's a good thing I function just fine on 4 hrs of sleep. ^_^

Also if I was running a home brew adventure like ReaperWolf does for RCON, yah that I don't know if I could do but running AL style adventures or adventures I find off DMsGuild, there is nothing to it. Nice thing about tonight's game is all the minis are packed as this is the Monday that is getting redone due to the player & his character mishap that took too much time & I just didn't get to this adventure....(that will never happen again...)

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

beware... goblins can get character levels...

In the other AL DM's game, I'm a goblin barbarian that is almost 3rd level & a fellow player is a goblin ranger. Together we wrecked some havoc last Weds by figuring out a mechanical lock on Mechanus. :devil:

I've mostly been the GM. my few times playing have been as a ysoki exocortex mechanic I think I posted the mini I used for them somewhere...

Found them. Ignore the modron

20181028_210504.jpg

Heh, I was gonna say that was his drone. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1