Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

SPACEFUTURE! The Mandibulate Commonweal (03580, 44058, assorted WizKids/Nolzurs)

I've had Garzuhl, the Mantis Man Ranger, painted up since 2015 or so, and just knew she was going to be the core of an insectile faction at some point. Then Nolzur's put out some Thri-Keen, and Reaper's Umber Hulk Burrowing Behemoth came out, and things fell into place. 

From the sweltering hive-cities of Mercury Terminus to the windswept ice-plains of Ganymede, the Kithkthix (for that is as close to their name as we can pronounce without pheromone glands) dig in and build their mounds anywhere they can get a foothold. Their societies are termite-like, with castes for every position. Intensive artificial selection is used to form new castes as necessary--a barbaric practice to humans, but the communal Kithkthix identify as a collective rather than as individuals. The only pronoun in their language more specific than smaller than We[caste] is Queen. 

Here are a few representatives of the hunter/gatherer caste (Nolzur Thri-Keen and a grab-bag D&D Thri-Keen), on the search for organic matter that can be used to grow the spores of the fungus that is their sole sustenance. 

DSCN7000.thumb.JPG.ef8ea34af5c084fd6e4e0e4339876e07.JPGDSCN6999.thumb.JPG.0484f68a5c9bcb9a85306c13198774a3.JPG 

and a more mature member of the caste (03850, Garzuhl) with her domesticated seeker trilobites. 
DSCN7002.thumb.JPG.82d07a04e648d41ee44037a186841cbe.JPGDSCN7003.thumb.JPG.11f590d2116bff84609687d950109a19.JPG

A member of the Warrior Caste, ready to rip and rend any threats to the colony: 
DSCN7005.thumb.JPG.5828d527f9069dcccbcada8d8b2202ae.JPGDSCN7006.thumb.JPG.676a7e36ece757c14eecbba7eacef3b8.JPGDSCN7007.thumb.JPG.9411a3b760721dd852049a20b18fbe09.JPGDSCN7008.thumb.JPG.3b29f2c38037a741a28481416b1ac642.JPG

And a member of the Excavator caste, earthmovers par excellence. This specimen appears to have sustained an injury--but what could cut through that zinc/iridium-reinforced carapace?

DSCN7010.thumb.JPG.a1cb714afab17dd8cff3afb3eddc995c.JPGDSCN7011.thumb.JPG.9fe6d2e46e984f86d722cb8e13e6b28f.JPGDSCN7013.thumb.JPG.a5619a2e05872fcfc6abe5ba4c73cc12.JPG

Group shot: 
DSCN7014.thumb.JPG.8b50774289f00e52489b2f1292baf7e2.JPG

BONUS: The Manna-mold contains all the amino acids, lipids, and vitamins needed for human survival, plus digestible carbohydrates. Nevertheless, it is not recommended for human consumption, especially not the ROYAL SOMA strain, as there can be adverse metabolic consequences: 

DSCN7020.thumb.JPG.2ca1bbab3273c0f7736210c58866198f.JPGDSCN7017.thumb.JPG.84dd2fba7784f59ebafe96b5c63e8f4b.JPGDSCN7019.thumb.JPG.57bff4316b897b8b5852fd1b2e400476.JPG

(...annnnnnd THERE's the last of the Pinnacle mutants.)

• Like 14

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Brothers Roberto (03561) and Louis IV (02087) are excellent sculpts suitable for multiple time periods. I've painted a couple of Nuns With Guns and a couple of priests, but not a bishop or a cardinal!

"Your Exellency, I apologize for the short notice. It's worse than we had thought."

"You are forgiven, Bishop. Is it the old Priory at St. Wulfstan's?"

"Indeed. The Creature has at last gotten loose from the bindings put down in 947 and broken through the 16th-century salt rings."

"God in Heaven. I had prayed those wards would outlast me. We knew this day would come."

"Mercifully, we have one of our best men on the scene. God willing he can contain the beast until the rest of the team arrives."

Father Sweeny, again from Artizan's 'Thrilling Tales' line, had better be a man of strong faith and iron will.

The Beast, ornery after centuries of durance :

Hold the line...

(Guest appearances by Fr. Thomas, Sr. Maria, Order of St. George Nun, and Fra Ximenez from Black Cat.)

• By Rigel
      After giving both Buckland and the Miner a jaunty yellow-and-white scheme, it came burning hot into my mind that they should be part of a team of space roughnecks/asteroid miners/problem solvers. This is the rest of that team. 

First, Kulgara. She's a Pathfinder model, from the 'Iron Gods' adventure, and is a techno-badelf. What a great Space Orc. I think her vambraced fists count as construction equipment, and the ridiculously huge chainsaw (with knuckle spikes, in case you have a chainsaw fight and need to punch someone?) is beautifully over-the-top. I'm not sure what the lever-matic tool on her back is supposed to be. The giant wrench is from Bombshell.

She's definitely in the right line of work here.

Next up, Sluggo, the Space Henchman. Noseless and brutish, with gangly but muscular arms and a dyspeptic expression. I thought at first of making him the same species as the Andromedans, but decided against it and gave him a pale Vampiric Flesh+Magos Purple sluglike complexion. Jetpack is Bombshell again. I love jetpacks, though I'm afraid this one gets in the way of his suspendies.

Serendipitously, I remembered the weird little Slimer-like alien I had leftover from Betty, Space Heroine (50150). It, too, has a big round noseless head, rubbery aspect, wiry limbs, and short legs! Perhaps it and Sluggo here are the same species; it certainly looks like it could hench in a pinch. I'll call it Squish.

Also got a fella in a hazmat suit with some kind of Geiger-counter sensor or such, from Hasslefree. Seen here in a routine check of goo emissions levels. Just carrying out assigned tasks, nothing suspicious here.

And here's the whole greasy roustabout crew:

• By Nial ap Morai
      Tried to paint the Griffon to look like Buckbeak (a hippogriff I could not locate) for a friend’s HP diorama. 

• By Rigel
      Extraplanar beings are diverse. I've painted several red fiends, and some green, blue, and purple spirits. When I came across this sculpt in the FLGS, I decided to try a new unnatural complexion for this devilish-looking entity, without any red whatsoever. It was fun! Only regret is that there were some great exposed back muscles that are harder to see now because I decided he needed wings (graciously donated by 039988, Bomber Sophie).

More angles:

The garment was a good opportunity for gradients, but I can't help but feel there was a missed opportunity for a pattern. I'm open to suggestions!
      Fair warning: while this mini looks rad, there are areas underneath the skirt that are almost impossible to reach with a straight brush. Hard to notice from most angles, fortunately, but another instance of a common oversight on the company's part. 

Appropriately dramatic glamor shot:

A surprise guest appearance from Big Sister:

• By ksbsnowowl
      My cousin came over to paint a Bones mini I had laying around to be his new (temporary?) character, as he was slain at the end of the last session.  I decided to pull out the Nolzur’s Grick pack to paint something easy while half entertaining him. 

I just used two colors so far, Vallejo Green Brown for the belly and sucker “underside” of its face tentacles, and Reaper Troll Hide, both thinned 1:1 with Vallejo Thinner Medium, and a damp brush. Both colors went onto the smaller Grick like butter, and produced a wonderfully highlighted and shaded effect on their own. 

Sadly I got interrupted by life, and the paint was drying well out by the time I got back (I had put my palette in a ziplock bag, but still...) so I just used the VMC Green Brown that remained to touch up the smaller one, and start on the large one. I also mixed up a small bit of the Troll Hide again, to touch up a few remaining spots on the smaller aberration. But I’m beat, so enough painting for tonight. 

Going forward I plan to do the beak with Reaper Coal Black, which I’ve not had opportunity to make use of, yet. Plus I’ll put some Citadel Screamer Pink in for the mucosa of the mouth. 

Since the paint was acting so wonderfully as a wash, any spots I had to touch back up that resulted in darker splotches, I just mirrored on the opposite side, making that part of his skin pattern. I’m quite pleased with how it’s turning out, and it was ridiculously easy for a great tabletop standard. I need to do more monsters like this. 
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)