TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, October 2019

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 2: What is your favorite gemstone (precious, semi-precious, or otherwise) and why?

(Multiple choices are welcome, mostly because I won't be able to keep it to just one.)

Oh, well, emerald, amethyst, ametrine, malachite, lapis lazuli, topaz, pearlsI mean, opals (especially fire opals), jade, onyx, ruby...

4 hours ago, TGP said:

The Arkenstone

what, not a silmaril? :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, redambrosia said:
4 hours ago, TGP said:

The Arkenstone

what, not a silmaril? :lol:

:ph34r: Some people believe they're one and the same... One of the Silmarils was lost into the molten earth... An Age and a half is long enough for a Silmaril to travel that far in the magma currents of the world beneath... :ph34r:

• Like 7

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 2: What is your favorite gemstone (precious, semi-precious, or otherwise) and why?

(Multiple choices are welcome, mostly because I won't be able to keep it to just one.)

Tiger's eye. They're like weird little holographic rocks.

Or Hematite... is hematite even semi-precious? Wait do rare earth metals count?

I do have an appreciation of diamonds, but that is more due to their industrial applications and 'holy crap carbon is a crazy awesome element' than 'ooo shiny'. I honestly think they are pretty plain and boring aesthetically.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Opal, blue goldstone, spectral hematite, quartz points with interesting inclusions, Jade, bizmuth crystals, geodes... Too tired to think of more right now. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Odd that no one has mentioned Alexandrite.

For all those times you aren't sure what color gem to get, try alexandrite. It tends toward green in sunlight but when you bring that green stone inside into artificial lighting it turns red. Enjoy it while you can, the effect is strongest under tungsten and halogen lights. LEDs don't produce the same effect.

• Like 7

Didn't Tolkien say in one of his letters that the lost Silmarils would remain lost until The Dagor Dagorath, after which Feanor would be released from the Halls of Awaiting and deliver them to Yavanna? She would then sunder all three Silmarils and thus Laurelin and Telperion will be reborn bathing all things in their light. I may be misremembering though. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 3: What do your favorite dice look like? 

Local game shop does a d6 in honor of the shop cat.  The "6" is a cat face, the "1" is the other end of the cat.  

https://i1.wp.com/tabletopgameandhobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/alldice.jpg?fit=1280%2C720&ssl=1

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

My favorite dice of all time were the two sets of Official Advanced Dungeons and Dragons dice I bought on the game isle at Wal-Mart many ages ago. They were multi colored, and the only thing I'm absolutely certain of is that the D20 were both orange with black letters and the caltrops (d4) were green. I loved those dice with a powerful love. I don't remember if they went in the house fire or if they were mislaid later. 

My current favorite are a deep blue with gold lettering. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I ordered custom dice for my Stonehell game's 100th session.

IMG_20190803_185025.thumb.jpg.9f369878839bbb1db70906fb7204f5c1.jpg

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, my favorite d20 is the one that just rolled a 20.....

I use different sets for different characters.  I also have a......number..... of sets.

So the 4 sets I'm using for my current character are all shades of red or orange.  My favorite of the 4 is a mix of red and yellow.  Very easy to read and they really stand out.

My favorites of all time?  I have a bag of dice I use when playing Gnomes.  They are the little ones, 8 or 10 mm maybe?  I have used them in a number of years now and just recently found them while packing.  I think it was up to 6 or 8 sets in the bag.  I really like those but can't recall which set in there would be my favorites.

I don't have any cool stone or metal ones. Maybe some day....

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't use dice often enough to have favourites.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Just a simple translucent red colour with white numbers. 2nd set of dice I ever bought 30+ years ago.

• Like 7

I have a different set for each character, game and/or army.  So my favorite set depends on what i'm playing. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

My prettiest set is a titanium set that my wife bought for my birthday, but I have to be careful what surface I use them on.

But I don't think I really have a favorite set.

• Like 7