TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, October 2019

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 3: What do your favorite dice look like? 

Each new game system and each character played receives a unique set of dice.  

I don't have favorites, but I have trends.  My dice tend to be in the pink/blue/purple range, generally with metallic/iridescent/glitter swirly aspects.  My dice tend to be stereotypical girlie as I live in a house full of men and color coding our lives has helped with ownership issues.

My last set purchased/gifted were a purple glow in the dark set.  

The ones we display on the mantle are carved buffalo bone (younger son's gift) and cast pewter (from Kevin's, Reaper's in house sculptor, wedding).

There is a glass canister of only odd d6s on an end table.  

The one displayed on the piano is a red wooden hand carved d20 with intricate Celtic knot work.

The plush ones are on the loft couch unless my cat (#ThatSid) has been rolling them down the stairs again.

20191003_145504.jpg

Edited by ladystorm
Added image
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, haldir said:

Currently, Chessex Borealis Nebula Nocturnal

chx30013_1.jpg

The picture doesn't really do them justice. Inside the purple is swirled & such. Oddly my d6 is only half filled but it has the swirl so it makes for a unique looking dice for the set. These glow in the dark but I've yet to really look at that feature.

(net pic)

dicenocturnal2_grande.jpg?v=1563926812

I also like these Chessex Borealis Maple green

imagejpg_65b1294e-34a2-4f17-8d00-e9482b9

They are a reminder of my trip with my wife to Eugene this year.

Where did you get the top ones? I’ve been searching for them, but all I can find are shimmery purple ones, no glow in the dark.

• Like 5

I acquired those via a ninja shopper at GenCon this year. She wasn't doing any ninja shopping but I asked her awhile back before she left & well I guess she likes me enough to do it. They are Out of Stock but they are Lab Dice that will make it to regular retail lineups. Probably their most popular Lab set.

• Like 4

I'm also one of those people who acquires a unique set for each character and/or game I run. I find I have to, otherwise the rolls don't work out right. I mean, my last character rolled a statistically ridiculous number of 1s until I bought the proper dice.

Halfsies_Dice_Yin_Yang_1024x1024.jpg

And then with these I one-rounded a magma dragon at 10th level. With a bow.

My next campaign will just have to have incongruous rolls until PAX Unplugged when I can acquire the new set for the new game.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, haldir said:

I acquired those via a ninja shopper at GenCon this year. She wasn't doing any ninja shopping but I asked her awhile back before she left & well I guess she likes me enough to do it. They are Out of Stock but they are Lab Dice that will make it to regular retail lineups. Probably their most popular Lab set.

Finally found them on eBay.... for $60 <_<

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, NebulousMissy said:

I'm also one of those people who acquires a unique set for each character and/or game I run. I find I have to, otherwise the rolls don't work out right. I mean, my last character rolled a statistically ridiculous number of 1s until I bought the proper dice.

Halfsies_Dice_Yin_Yang_1024x1024.jpg

And then with these I one-rounded a magma dragon at 10th level. With a bow.

My next campaign will just have to have incongruous rolls until PAX Unplugged when I can acquire the new set for the new game.

I introduced a new crit/fumble chart last night to my players. Lets just say it got tested out quite well (players enjoyed the results over straight double damage or disadvantage).

I like those, & I'm not one for "halfsies" dice. I guess I like the color combos.

1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

Finally found them on eBay.... for $60 <_<

WoW! Yah wait till retail. (whenever that'll be)

• Like 4

On 10/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

As Autumn takes over fully, lets remember summer one last time:  What was the highlight of your summer?

Bonus Poll: Should I refrain from Bones V related questions?

Early - received my 2nd degree backbelt.

Late - ReaperCon. :)

On 10/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 2: What is your favorite gemstone (precious, semi-precious, or otherwise) and why?

(Multiple choices are welcome, mostly because I won't be able to keep it to just one.)

Amber

Garnet

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Any that regularly roll 18 and above. I.e. I hate them all! Some are really pretty though.... I have a set of tiny carnelean dice that are very pretty. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

On the left are my favorites. My players affectionately refer to them as the Dice of Death. On the right are the only complete set I own which I use only to prove the ones on the left are not cursed and that it's only my excess of dice rolling mojo that results in so much bad stuff. They stay in their own bag knitted for me 20 years ago by a player's sister. In the middle are a weird rock I can spin like a top and a buffalo nickel that are always with my dice, either in their bag or on the table. 

20191003_182551.thumb.jpg.2c7e856dbd03d054a3d2bb0b12805c66.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

For me dice are utilitarian rather than collectable.  I bought 2 lbs once to make sure I had enough and haven't purchased any since.  So my favorite dice are easy to read and of standard size.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thank you for asking this question.  Because you asked, I looked through my dice collection and discovered I had these:

1583026487_VelvetBrightBlueQuarter.jpg.3bcc76583a2d509662629bfdc4fb3941.jpg

This is the out of print Chessex Velvet bright blue with silver set.  I have been scouting stores with hopes of finding a set for something like seven years.  And it turns out I've had a set all along.  So thank you.

That said, they're not my favorite set of dice.  If they were, I would have remembered (or made sure) I had them!

My favorite set of dice is:

1076906984_VelvetBlackFullQuarter.jpg.b477067750ba1310fdd92ae5fc93ab1a.jpg

This is the Chessex Velvet Black with Red set.  I've had dice of this set for years but I'm not certain when I bought this full set.

I have a box full of dice and... now I want more, despite not having much to do with them.  (Maybe this is a good reason not to buy more.  Well, that, and Bones 5.)

• Like 10

I plan on getting one of those hollow glass lamps and filling it with dice. Just to show off my hoard. :devil:

• Like 8

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm going to go with the ones at the Learn to Play Infinity event I attended a few weeks ago.  Poor poor Matt (the warcor)... Three crits against him in one match, two from ARO's!! 

For some reason he bought new dice right after, not quite sure why though.... :ph34r::devil:

As for actual favourites... I rarely have any "faves" it seems, but the ones dad gave me from his ADnD days do hold a bit of extra something something for me.  I suspect once I find an orange and black pair that has the correct shade of orange that such will become my "favourite" set. 

• Like 7

October 4: How is Fall progressing in your corner of the world?

October 5-6 (Weekend Quest): Get out and enjoy Fall, take a picture of Fall prettiness and show us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

October 4 

Yesterday I went for a 5-mile bike ride.  trees are just starting to turn yellow.  It was cold enough that I wished for gloves at 9 am. 

but the afternoon was glorious. 

• Like 4