Getting to Know You, October 2019

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 4: How is Fall progressing in your corner of the world?

Slowly.

I put the appropriate seasonal decor in the front yard, and in doing so, weeded and winterized the front flower beds.

The Cedar Elm, in the front yard, is shedding its leaves and they are being tracked indoors.  The cats have begun to not be amused.

I also indulged in a pumpkin flavored beverage upon completion of my errands.

I finished hubby's halloween costume last night.  Mine is more hand sewing than I realized and is going slower.

• Like 7
  • Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 5-6 (Weekend Quest): Get out and enjoy Fall, take a picture of Fall prettiness and show us.

Well, it snowed here this week (has melted already), and the entire time all of you were yelling at me to not send it your way. The words 'karma' and 'just desserts' randomly floated around in my head then, for some reason. :devil: Next week it's supposed to rise to about 20o C (about 70 to you Yanks), the temperature rise is normal for this time of year. Welcome to Saskatchewan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Up until today it has been a complete and total FAIL. 

Todays weather is what you’d hope mid-September would be like. No Crisp October weather to report so far. 

• Like 6
On 10/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 2: What is your favorite gemstone (precious, semi-precious, or otherwise) and why?

(Multiple choices are welcome, mostly because I won't be able to keep it to just one.)

Ok, I have a dwarf mentally, sooooo any and all as long as they are shiny and in with my pile of gold.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 3: What do your favorite dice look like? 

I currently do have a favorite set. I bought 2 sets of d6s for use with GURPS, but I also bought a pretty d20. Most of the same thought process with gems goes for dice, if they are shiny and pretty their will be mine. 

October 5-6 (Weekend Quest): Get out and enjoy Fall, take a picture of Fall prettiness and show us.

Fall is better than winter...... 

I am a very phototropic, I need the warmth of the sun. I have minor bouts of depression. They are worst during the winter, even if the sun IS shining, I am still cold. I guess you could say I am cold blooded........

I have a b-day party to attend tomorrow, I will see if I can take a picture in between all the nerf darts flying around. 

And do not get me wrong the turning of leaves, heck even snow is pretty, however it is best viewed from inside next to a roaring fire and a nice cup of coffee in hand and my feet propped up on a gleaming pile of gold and gem/dice.

• Like 7

We skipped fall and went straight to winter. A foot or so of snow and a steady 0 C (32 F) day and night for the last week. Too early but like Pezler said this is Saskatchewan. Down in the lowlands where my home town is it's mostly melted and the grass is bright green. Lots of trees lost their branches because the leaves ave only just started changing/falling and the snow stuck to them. Hadn't been to the farm for nearly a week because of the weather and being sick. My cattle are turned out on a big area with lots of grass and shelter so I wasn't worried about them. Yesterday I took a tour and there's still 3-4 inches of snow on most of my land. It's about 600 feet higher elevation than town and it's always noticeable when there's snow. Could barely drive around with a 4x4 and there were drifts deep enough to get stuck in. The fields that weren't combined are flat on the ground and there's a lot of them. The wife wanted some carrots from the garden (we picked all of the above ground stuff before the storm). I had to hunt to find them, scrape off a couple inches of snow and then dig them out of the mud. 

Forecast is for it to warm up to normal (15 C) or higher over the next couple of days but right now it's +3 C and drizzly. So much for getting much done the next while.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's finally arrived!!

• Like 5
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Most of our "fall color" is safety orange.  In a lot of places they are still repairing road damage from last winter. 

IMG_20191004_144942556.jpg.4853f11c8323f1e58ada242cd521a63e.jpg

I was out today and spotted some pretty leaves and berries.  Don't know what they are except "not edible for humans". 

IMG_20191004_121353747.jpg.a4c20832f63f30940c4903c74889cbdf.jpg

The reason I was out is that it is quilt show season.  This was a favorite in the show today. 

IMG_20191004_123129324.jpg.6b6e85b0247cb19c28ad24d20e0f9a31.jpg

• Like 13
On 10/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Fall is going as planned. Days are getting shorter, temperatures are getting colder (morning frost is getting more and more common), and leaves are yellowing, though have not reached the full autumn spectrum.

No pictures yet, as it's not pretty enough yet. I know we can get better. I'll expect more when I'll be ont he road next week for Thanksgiving.

• Like 5
On 10/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 3: What do your favorite dice look like? 

My favourite dice are still my first sets I bought in the early 90s (bottom two), combined with the complete set (top) that came with a Chessex Pound-O'-Dice bag I bought after graduating college.

Favourite dice.jpg

My clear yellow d8 has gone missing years ago. But these remain my "go to" dice no matter what I play.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
On 10/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Fall is not doing so well in the southern half of the world ::P: Spring, however is going great. I went to Floriade with the family today so you can have some lovely flower pics.

Floriade1.jpg.fdb6297dfbdd93911921b410d9d3aeeb.jpg1262769084_image2(1).jpeg.d98fb8001993343138054d0c3aff62df.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
On 10/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I spent the weekend indoors. I'm planning on getting out next weekend though for some recreational hiking. Maybe I'll revisit this question then. In the meantime, here's how I enjoyed the fall...

20191004_233839.thumb.jpg.8a6eb3b3d3007b1f1217aed8406fa05e.jpg

• Like 6