Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, October 2019

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 7: What sorts of pests invade your home, and how do you deal with them?

(For the record, teenagers and other human larval forms do not count as pests.)

Flies, roaches, and mosquitos are given no quarter. It’s the swatter for them!

Spiders are removed using a cup and a piece of paper. 

Personally, I’ve only had a mouse once. And, well, he brought my fury down upon him when I discovered what he’d eaten. This was before I knew I could drive him away with the smell of peppermint.

My mother in law (in whose house I’m currently living) prefers to just kill everything. 

My cats have always been useless when it comes to hunting.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My new (basement) apartment has a large population of cave crickets. They are silent, don't carry disease, don't bite, eat spiders and look like something that crawled out of an old B movie. I don't mind the crickets. I do mind the spiders. There aren't many, but the ones that are there are large enough to survive the crickets. They get squashed with extreme prejudice. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not much in the way of pests get in my house. I get spiders every now and then, I leave them be since they will deal with the pests I don't want to. Unless they end up somewhere I'd rather them not be, like on my desk, then I usher them elsewhere. My hold porch area was inundated with spiders for a few weeks, one was smart and built right in front of a light. She had a feast on that web. If they build where I have to walk though, the web gets broken.

...so maybe I do get pests, they just get eaten before I see them.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Spiders mostly, Red-Backs, White-Tails and Funnel Webs are KOS (Kill on Sight). I will use anything close to hand to smush them, tissue boxes and shoes have been employed for this in the past. My worst improvised tool was my purse, I didn't think, just squished ::(: Huntsman and Daddy-Long Legs I leave to their own devices. My daughter freaks out about spiders so any others just get relocated to the garden.

During summer flies are a major issue so I have about three of those automated fly spray things that I run near entrances/exits to the house. 

Edited by Sibling
spelling
  • Like 3

Pests:

The norm (flies, mosquitoes  & such usually get smashed (quitos definitely). For awhile we had a mice problem but that was taken care of. 

I tend to not kill spiders & if they aren't bugging anything just let them be. 

Speaking of mice, somehow one found its way in where the water flows into the washer!  HOW THE HELL does this happen.  It was pretty disgusting trying to pull his corpse out of that slot using rubber gloves & tongs (which got tossed afterwards).  I ended up pulling the darn thing apart in 2 pcs but it finally came out.  Nasty!:blink:

We do get sorta box elder like bug all over the windows &they manage to find their way inside in  the summer but they'll retreat once I install the room air condition upstairs.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 8: What not-so-fun project is keeping you from painting your minis or that you are blithely ignoring while painting minis.

Studying for my CPA. As to which it is, it depends on the day...:unsure:

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 8: What not-so-fun project is keeping you from painting your minis or that you are blithely ignoring while painting minis.

Wait, I'm allowed to have excuses to not paint?! ::o:

Seems like regular day-to-day life is my current project. Unless I'm under pressure, it takes me forever to get into any activity, so any minor distraction destroys any motivational momentum I may have. And if I do paint, I want to get several hours worth, not minutes.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sprinkler system repair. We're expecting snow on Thursday, so I'll probably wait until spring and get any new damage at the same time as I fix the things I already know about.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

My missing toe or rather the doctor visits, various drugs, & such have been energy sapping & temporarily been making focusing (eye-wise that is) difficult. The fog is slowly lifting however.

I have been doing some Mushroom work, AND may be putting some of my things in a local gallery. SO, while no new pics have been seen lately,  I have been plodding along in a less enthusiastic sort of way.

• Like 6

On 10/7/2019 at 8:03 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Cats.

We live in a relatively new 4th floor apartment, so not much wanders in by chance.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hmmmm, so many good options like dishes, chores in general... 

I'm going to go with "finish tidying up the painting desk, as well as the four feet of desk NEXT TO the painting desk, which winds up being used as a dumping grounds for stuff from said painting desk... 

My poor poor benching area is such a mess. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Taking care of Mom and getting ready for Necronomi con. Minis are ready for the paint-and-take, trivia questions are written, but I have to format and print the damn things still. Also need to finish my (very cheezy bad)  giant ant costume.

Edited by Argentee
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oh.. everything.

Longer answer tends to involve cats that are convinced they need to be on ME rather than just in my vicinity... right now this moment, for example, Mystery is settling down on my arms...

Can't paint with a cat on my arms. If said cat is in the nest, all is well, but Mystery really prefers contact. Topaz oozes outwards to better cover all available space, and Rajah just becomes a furry mass of warm that prevents all work.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3