Getting to Know You, October 2019

TaleSpinner

43 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

As Autumn takes over fully, lets remember summer one last time:  What was the highlight of your summer?

Bonus Poll: Should I refrain from Bones V related questions?

Being able to travel without fear of a emergency phone call.

Poll question? Let the B5 quizzes roll!

• Like 8

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

As Autumn takes over fully, lets remember summer one last time:  What was the highlight of your summer?

Taking time off for my wedding anniversary.

Bonus question: Ask Bones V questions if you want.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

Sadly I didn't go to ReaperCon, so....

Hmmm, getting a new job was big, selling our house was big, buying a new house was big....but I'd have to go with:

Not being crushed by an airborne pro stock.  Not sure if counts as a near death experience, but you sure get an adrenaline rush out of having 2800 lbs of race car fly by your head at 100 kph.  And it sure makes you think, about a lot of things.....

I'd leave the Bones V questions out of this.  Everyone is going to be saturated with Bones V stuff everywhere else on the forums.
That said, if you ask them, I will answer!

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yeah, but the Resin that works the best for casting is not cheep.  $300 for a 1 liter bottle.  Still, my stuff is small...

No joke it's expensive.  Though the stuff being used in the videos I was watching (PowerCAST Burn) also comes in a 250g sample bottle for only $100.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

Didn't really have a highlight this year. Lots of work and family obligations kept us busy and we didn't to anything especially interesting. Not a bad summer but not one to remember in any way.

You have the right to ask anything you want. We have the right to ignore the questions if we want. <_<

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

Ok I will approach this slightly different, my low this summer was Reaper Con. I did not go, even though my wife offered to let me come for two days, I turned it down. I know I know I turned it down????? Well see it goes towards my high point of Summer which came real early. See the wife has been working for the school for 20 some years, which fun fact is crazy since she is ONLY 28.. She was the ALC person. "In School Suspension" She has helped so many students, case on point, there is a Rock in my front yard, Ralph. It is not just any rock. It is a 3 ton, that is right 3 tons, family heirloom, the was sitting at my father in laws farm. After my FIL passed my wife could not bear the thought of leaving it there. She called a former student....... One who was, by his own mouth a trouble maker who would not have graduated if not for her. This young man called up a few other former students and they moved Ralph to my front yard. 

I am getting there.... See my wife even being with the school for 20 some years did not bring home much. I now bring home even less then she does. If I break 425 a month it is a good month. She was offered to take over the Biology classes. She  took the job, bit it meant she had to go back to school to get her teaching degree. It meant taking on a loan for school fees and books and everything else. It is when I knew I would not to Reaper Con, but it had to be done. She busted her butt this summer studying and taking the classes she needed. It was a rough summer, she has not had awhile lot of time for anything other than school and even now she still has classes she has to take while teaching school, grading and making lesson plans. 

I am proud of my wife for accomplishing the feat of getting her teaching license. 

That is my high point.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Tuesday, October 1:

Winning bronze at Reapercon. 

• Like 12

Tuesday, October 1:

I'll avoid getting too sappy, but until it's a permanent arrangement, @buglips*the*goblin's visit is always going to be the highlight of my entire year.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I think the high point of our summer was that Nothing Happened.   No trees came down on our cars, neither of us got seriously ill, hurt, or sued.  Nothing fell off the house or got swept away in the flooding.  I still have all my body parts.  The cats are all doing well.   We had a nice time at Reapercon, it wasn't my best year but it wasn't awful either.  It was just a nice, even keel kind of summer. 

• Like 15

Tuesday, October 1:

Nothing I did this summer really stands out as a highlight.

While I wouldn't mind Bones related questions (I might actually have some answers this year), it might make the forum feel a bit over Boned.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, October 1:

Summer: ReaperCon was a memorable moment for me.

Rest of summer (year even), was pretty meh. I... I think I'm going through my midlife crisis. Anyone in the mood for skydiving on a Harley from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro? It's on my bucket list.

Bones V: Best keep the questions for November, i.e. After the campaign is done. Besides, we won't shut up about it in the official threads.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My wife is now an SAFD CT. Which I assume is just a string of letters to most of you, but it's the culmination of a decade and a half of continuous training and professional development, and it should be a big door-opener for her.

I work a day job and sometimes also do theater; theater is her all the time job and it takes a lot of forms, but her primary artistic drive is fight choreography. The Society of American Fight Directors (SAFD) is the largest professional group of its kind in the world, and she is now a Certified Teacher under their auspices. The certification workshop was this summer, and in many ways it's like a Master's Degree program wrapped into a three week stage combat / pedagogy boot camp. Sixteen hour days of sword fighting and teaching. 

Needless to say, I'm quite proud.

I doubt we need more Bones V discussion.

• Like 12

Tuesday, October 1:

Y’all know this is just an excuse for me to post more pictures, right? 

828B4682-8FE4-487A-B461-CEA6EC65307D.thumb.jpeg.6c954c08e7844479607fcca67726ae1f.jpeg

Mmmm! Toes!

Bones questions: meh, there’s a thread for that.

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

Each year, at least until high school, the dread "what did you do last Summer" essay loomed over the first few days of the return to school.

I never could come up with a decent story even then.

My answer has long been “nothing”. It’s a good answer as far as I’m concerned.

As is my usual, I'm going to give three answers because I have issues with decision making:

1. ReaperCon; this seems obvious, but it is the one thing I look forward to all year, have a blast while I am there, then immediately start looking forward to next year on the drive home from TX.
  2. Getting Z-Brush and learning to sculpt digitally.  I was very hesitant about it and still have issues with some of the limitations (mostly those imposed by the state of 3D printing technology, not actual digital sculpting), but now that I have learned the basics and have a couple sculpts under my belt, I love the medium and can't wait to try 3D printing and casting my own pieces.
  3. I built a water feature:

fountain.jpg.393a486f94f13262bd9756ed4b9e80d0.jpg

Does it have koi? Or turtles?!

• Like 12