Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, October 2019

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 25: What's your favorite dragon mini?

October 26-27: Do you take naps?

Not painted any dragons yet, seriously tempted by Wormgear.

I do take naps quite frequently, it's a useful ability to be able to snatch a little rest when the opportunity arises. The secret of service life is to stock up on sleep whenever possible, at some stage you are almost certainly going to need it.

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I like them all. I don’t know. (I don’t think I have a complete Wyrmgear, I should fix that.) I even like some that have too human proportions or some other wonkiness. There are some, just a few, that I have looked at and thought, “...pass...” but that has yet to happen in Bones V. 

I could not say what visual thing makes me look at a particular dragon sculpt and think, “nope, nope, nope”. 

I even like Sir Yosemite’s Toonish Bedraggled Dragon:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5RlQlxVTXeE

I won’t even complain about it being a Coal-Fired Dragon. 

Yes. 

<insert a copy of @malefactus ‘s answer here>

When I was a kid I hated naps. I was told to take naps. There was nap time. I was made to lie down and stare at ceilings.  I now strongly suspect this was really more for the benefit of that adult supervision because, just as I do now, I suspect they needed naps.  :ph34r: It may run in the family. 

• Like 11

My favorite individual miniature is my own Deathsleet, because it's the only large dragon miniature I have managed to paint to completion.

In terms of a favorite sculpt, I am less certain. I like most of Julie's dragons, but haven't taken any of the big ones far enough into the painting process to get a real feel for them. My current favorite of those (with apologies to the D&D sticklers) might be her version of Blacksting, in Bones.

I am also fond of Dave Summers' bronze dragon from Darksword.

I keep meaning to paint Kevin Williams' 'Western Desert Dragon', because I think it is delightfully unique among dragon miniatures, but I haven't done it yet.

I sometimes try, but I virtually never fall asleep quickly enough.

If I give myself 30 minutes for a nap, I'll just lie there with my eyes closed for 30 minutes, and then stand up and walk away just as sleepy as I started. It is very hard for me to get any real sleep in a time slot shorter than two hours.

• Like 9

Before there was Ma'al Drakar, I found this on DeviantArt, sculpted by an artist called FritoFrito (Hector Arce):

5_headed_dragon_statue_by_fritofrito.thumb.jpg.97f03c6d41ea3ddb34bb9974086453e3.jpg

5_headed_dragon_statue_by_fritofrito_fullview.thumb.jpg.6612121abfbe269066c39cf0c28ee68a.jpg

Unfortunately, it was an extremely limited run (15 worldwide) and quite costly (hundreds of US dollars). But I still find it's my favorite. I don't think it was intended to be a miniature, but it would definitely be worthy to represent the Dragon Queen on the table.

The sculptor also did one heck of a Godzilla (based on the 2014 movie design).

• Like 15

Oh, favorite dragon is easy. I like many dragons, but from the moment I first saw the sculpt I knew the undeniable truth: Narthrax is Best Dragon.

I love that sculpt so much.

Naps? I love naps. Usually I just lie down flat on the floor, limbs comfortably spread, and do like a twenty-minute recharge nap, but I also love sudden-onset "the couch ate me" naps that last an hour or more. I don't get to do either as often as I would like, but I do enjoy them when I can.

• Like 15

Ral Partha's Checkmate Dragon.

My favorite Reaper dragons are the Christmas dragons, only one of which (01581: Christmas Dragon Hoard) is currently on the site.  My favorite full-sized Reaper dragon is 77177: Wyrmgear, Clockwork Dragon.

I haven't been enjoying painting Deathsleet and I'm not entirely sure why.

I'm tempted to paint 02377: Wy'zern in the fashion of Trogdor, because it might be funny.

Oh, related to "funny", free vignette idea for someone else: 03005: Cavern Dragon as a stand-up comedian.  Just need a microphone and a brick wall backdrop.

No.  I wish I did sometimes.  I'm not getting enough sleep at night.  However, I don't have the time to take a nap (or to get to bed earlier).

Edited by Xiwo Xerase
Fixed link.
  • Like 10

I'm not a huge dragon fan, never have been. I'd say Nethrymaul (I should've bought a resin one at rcon!) or Angrislaug from Mierce.

Naps are awesome. At least one a day.

• Like 10

Favorite dragon? The only one I ever painted yet, the temple Dragon.

Naps? Love 'em! I want to pass away quietly while taking a nap like my Grandpa...not with all that screaming like his passengers...

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Favourite dragon, Grenadier guardian dragon. Not my photo.

Image result for grenadier guardian dragon

For a very long time it was my only dragon mini and until very recently it was the only one I had painted. Runners up are the pathfinder red dragon (which I've painted) and the dragon from DDS2 (which is still unpainted).

I like naps and really want to have them around 4 pm. Don't usually succumb though because it often messes up my night's sleep. Some days I just really need one so I risk the sleepless night.

• Like 12

I don't really have a favorite, I like them all equally. Beside, we wouldn't want jealousy within the ranks would we? 

On weekends, most definitely. During the week it depends on how tired I am when I get home from work.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

:considers massive number of dragons waiting to be painted: 

Yes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

... Is 'all of them' an acceptable answer? Because all of them. 

I am rather fond of Kyphrixis, and the Temple Dragon, I admit. But I don't really have a /favorite/.

I take naps. Sometimes I even take them deliberately.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Ma'al Drakar is Queen of the Tyrant Lizards, she's one of my favourite Dragonsaurus Rexes.

As a rule, I don't take naps and stay up even when I'm tired. That being said, I have to be pretty exhausted to pass out on the couch in the middle of the day.

• Like 10

Well, I have this: 

F75107F2-F476-4A74-84D7-2D8E6BA4249A.thumb.jpeg.6245da8d12ed6fca66f47f241fffbfb9.jpeg

On the one hand, it won’t sleep without me. On the other, it wakes me up constantly. So, yeah. Napping is a way of life here.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3