Getting to Know You, October 2019

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 29: What/where is the furthest you have ever traveled from home?

At the age of 19, I moved from the US to Exmouth, Western Australia.   That's about as far away as I could get from where I grew up and still be on land. 

• Like 10
  • Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

The furthest I've travelled was when I immigrated from the USA to England.

But the furthest I've travelled from home was England to the former country of Yugoslavia.

• Like 10
27 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I live in the Northeastern United States, and the farthest I have traveled is Queenstown, NZ. Google tells me that works out to about 15,300km / 9500mi.

Second place goes to Mumbai, India at roughly 12,200km / 7600mi.

I have no near-term plans to break these records, but the circumference of the Earth is around 40,000 km, so I still have room to improve. :poke:

I'd like to visit Mumbai one day.  I have a friend from there and she says it's an awesome and vibrant place.

• Like 8
20 minutes ago, VitM said:

I'd like to visit Mumbai one day.  I have a friend from there and she says it's an awesome and vibrant place.

It is, but I'll refrain from giving any real advice: I haven't been there in 20 years.

Things will have changed a lot in that time.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Where is home?  I have moved so often I've lost track.  I have circled the globe during my lifetime. Across north America and the Pacific, across Asia, Europe, etc.  It's a small planet, you can get nearly anywhere in 24-48 hours. 

• Like 11
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hrm. From Portland-vicinity Oregon, visited Munich, Germany. My first experience with an airplane, too ... I wasn't good for much after that one.

Overland, from Washington to Texas. :p

• Like 9
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Home was the USA, but traveled to Krakow, Poland via temporary home in Berlin, Germany. I had hoped to make it further to Romania, but those plans fell through.

• Like 10

I went to Southern Ohio(and technically in Kentucky) back when I had been engaged to a lady from there. Didn't work out, but I was glad that I was able to see exotic lands with strange people (mostly in the 24-hour Walmart there).

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

My vacation to Montreal, PQ, Canada at 2814 km from Denton was pretty far, and the only time so far I have left the US.

A journey to Dracut, MA to visit Ladystorm was farther, though, at 2911 km. 

Many many trips to Seattle, WA were even farther though, at 3287 km, with at least one trip going another 3-40 miles north to visit CuteButPsycho. 

But when I was a child, my father was stationed at a Naval Base that officially qualifies as the farthest I have ever been from Denton:

Honolulu, HI 6060km, although AT THAT TIME that was "home" so that journey was, according to the phrasing of the question, 0km. :/

• Like 9
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Depending on the context, I have several answers:

• Furthest I've lived from home, was in the suburbs of Paris (France) from Quebec City, circa 1987-1988. Distance: ~5575km
  • Furthest I've traveled (as the crow flies), is St.John's (NL) to Tokyo (Japan). Distance: 10720km (that's one tough crow)
  • Furthest with layovers, is Montreal (QC) to Beijing (China) via Paris (France). Distance: 13740 km
  • Longest single trip excluding travel time to-from destination. Beijing (China) to Saint Petersburg (Russia) via Mongolia, by train. Distance: ~8255 km
  • Trip that *felt* the longest. Getting to ReaperCon 2018.
Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Where is home?  I have moved so often I've lost track.  I have circled the globe during my lifetime. Across north America and the Pacific, across Asia, Europe, etc.  It's a small planet, you can get nearly anywhere in 24-48 hours. 

That point is an interesting wrinkle to the question. Some folks have lived all over the globe at various times in their lives, but I really haven't. If we change the question to "how far have you traveled from home" to "how far has your notion of home wandered", my answer is "not very far".

I think I have only held six "permanent" mailing addresses (seven, if you count the college mail room), and of those, five are clustered within a radius of about 12 miles from Boston.

I have traveled, but I've never really left.

The farthest away was the time I spent living in Poughkeepsie, NY which is still less than 200 miles away.

• Like 6
On 10/16/2019 at 7:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 16: What hobby related thing(s) are you working on (pics please)?

I have resumed smoking cheese with the drop in the temperature we are currently experiencing.

20191029_150343.jpg

On 10/17/2019 at 9:26 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 17: How long is you hair?

Just past shoulders, growing out slowly.  White with purple underneath.

20191029_150718.jpg

On 10/18/2019 at 7:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 18: Have you ever experienced VR (virtual reality) or AR (augmented reality)?

Weekend Quest:

October 19-20: Try something new then tell us about it, or better yet show us.

No, I have not experienced VR nor AR.

I road-tripped, alone, to my nephew's college soccer game four states away and then explored a cool cave at a Memphis Cemetery.

20191029_150541.jpgIMG_20191029_151017.jpg

On 10/21/2019 at 7:33 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 21: Do you like foods containing pumpkin (real pumpkin, not just pumpkin spice) and if so, what is your favorite?

I enjoy pumpkin, real pumpkin, in many forms.  I usually have it in baked goods, but a warm pumpkin curry is a treat.

The last time I cooked with pumpkin I made this GF cake with pecans and dark chocolate.20191029_150810.jpg

On 10/22/2019 at 8:59 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 22: Is there anything (food, toy, or other product) from your childhood that you would like to have again, but is no longer available?

Time.  I would like some of that time again.  

On 10/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 23: Do you paint busts? Show us if you have.

At this time, no I don't.  I have a few that have not yet been started.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 24: Have you ever taken part in a trial?

No, and never selected for Jury Duty despite wanting to be.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:40 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 25: What's your favorite dragon mini?

October 26-27: Do you take naps?

There are too many good ones out there to pick just one.

Practically daily naps are my current reality.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 28: What movie spin-off/series (other than Star Wars) do you feel has/had taken things too far and should have just quit while they were ahead?

I think the 'Lilo and Stitch' sequels and series were too much.

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Probably the Hawaii trip when we still lived in Massachusetts.

Edited by ladystorm
Added images
  • Like 9