Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, October 2019

11 minutes ago, Loim said:

Hmmm...I never really thought of The Thing as horror. It is a great movie though. 

:huh: 

It's a movie about an alien shape-shifter that dismembers and eats people in a remote place, and implies it will do the same to the rest of the world if it gets loose.  What other genre would you put that in?   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 30: Do you enjoy the Horror genre; if so, what's your favorite?

I can appreciate "dark", but I'm generally not a fan of horror. I'm not even a fan of suspense movies.

Though I do have exceptions, as I usually like Lovecraft/Mythos settings.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

Like others have said, suspense yes, horror, no.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, VitM said:

:huh: 

It's a movie about an alien shape-shifter that dismembers and eats people in a remote place, and implies it will do the same to the rest of the world if it gets loose.  What other genre would you put that in?   

From the alien's point of view: A nature documentary (narrated by David Attenborough or Morgan Freeman)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I am a longtime Horror movie fan; mostly the old B-Movies. Every thing from Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff through Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing.

Salem's Lot is the only Steven King movie I care for. Army of Darkness is probably my favorite in the class.

Newer Hollywood attempts aren't really Horror at all. The Hollywood film folk have confused gross & disgusting with scary. They are probably more comfortable with the former than the latter.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I can appreciate "dark", but I'm generally not a fan of horror. I'm not even a fan of suspense movies.

Though I do have exceptions, as I usually like Lovecraft/Mythos settings.

You should check out The Void (2016) or Dagon (2001).

• Like 4

Yes and no. I like movies with scary monsters. Everything from classic movie monsters to modern critters like that Cloverfield thing. I have no desire to watch slasher or torture flicks though, just not my thing. The exception is if it's a slasher franchise that has learned to not take itself seriously (Jason X, perfect example). Then, with just a few beers, my wife and I are yelling at the screen telling victims to watch out and laughing ourselves silly. Finally, I just can't get into any movie where being in the woods is scary. I've never found being in the woods scary, quite the opposite. 

When considering horror novels I pretty much don't care for too much modern horror authors, too much shock, not enough creepy. But I really enjoy a lot of older cosmic horror, ghost stories, and even creepy poetry. Lord Dunsany, Ambrose Bierce, Lovecraft, Derleth, Poe, Shelley, even some of Yeats creepier stuff gives me a bit if a tingle. 

Finally, if the idea of hauntings freaks you out even a little bit then I highly recommend you read Amityville Horror. At night, alone, with no more than one light on in the entire house. 

• Like 4

On 10/29/2019 at 12:30 PM, TaleSpinner said:

October 29: What/where is the furthest you have ever traveled from home?

Distance-wise that would be Dunedin in NZ, a lovely albatross colony.

Time wise it took me 3 days and 4 flights to get to Vanuatu in 1970's. And I took part in a revolution when I got there...

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not at all, I do not see any entertainment value in being scared or revolted. That said I did quite enjoy "Shaun of the Dead".

• Like 8

Honestly, I never thought about it, but I guess I would have chocked it up as a Sci-Fi Thriller. 

There was actually an essay a guy wrote that told the events of The Thing from the Alien's standpoint. It was interesting. 

• Like 4

I prefer supernatural horror to slashers or suspense. Most of my favorites are older films, though I really enjoyed Haunting of Hill House, the new version of IT, and the first Lady in Black (even though I was hecking mad at her at the end). And I love horror that has a comedic element. Tucker & Dale vs Evil was amazing, and Army of Darkness is hilarious.

But hands down, my all time favorite, has to be Cabin in the Woods. 

• Like 6

Love/hate. So much is so bad, I don't like gore or jump scares. I'd say more psychological/thriller kind of horror is my thing. Though I'm a fan of masterful sound and cinematography in most things, for horror I tend to like found footage. And most of it is bad. So I don't watch much horror anymore.

The original Night of the Living Dead and the 90s remake are great, as is Return (our band's favorite movie). I love the Paranormal Activity style of subtle growing tension, use of sound and visual effects to slowly build in growing dread. There's something Lovecraftian about that (avoiding my "Lovecraft was about slow-burn mounting horror, not tentacles' rant). The plots tend to be pretty lame, though.

And of course the subverted stuff like Cabin in the Woods and Tucker and Dale are cool.

39 minutes ago, VitM said:

You should check out The Void (2016) or Dagon (2001).

I enjoyed the 2010 Colour Out of Space https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1756479/ (I guess they're making a big budget one with Nick Cage? Ugh)

• Like 9

Not really. I like suspense, mystery and a well told story with twisty, unexpected endings.  I don't like slasher flicks, gore, jump scares, stupid plots, gratuitous violence, rape or torture scenes.  There's enough of that in the real world that I don't find it entertaining. 

• Like 7

Maybe.

I strongly dislike gore, viscera, and jump scares, which I associate with modern horror movies (really, anything since 1980), so I haven't seen many.

But I've seen horror movies that I liked: Some of the old classics (e.g. The Mummy), some Hammer films (e.g. The Gorgon and their renditions of old classics, e.g. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy), Evil Dead 2... The first 60% or so of Event Horizon is great for atmosphere.

I don't count Army of Darkness as horror, nor do I count The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

There are some great horror-esque Doctor Who episodes: "The Horror of Fang Rock", "The Image of the Fendahl", "Blink", "Midnight", and more that I haven't mentioned, I'm sure.  (I found "Midnight" to be a more of a horror than "Blink", but your mileage may vary.)

I wonder what Hammer films are on Netflix.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sort of.

I used to love horror movies, but as I got older I started to find them a bit too scary (although I seem to have gotten over it recently).

It's hard to name a favourite, as it's been ages since I've watched anything, but other people have already named a lot of good ones.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

As a rule, I don't really watch horror movies (these days the movies are too full of unoriginal jump scares). However, the classics like Nosferatu are real treats, it's like watching archaeology of how film was made back in the dawn of movies.

• Like 4