Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, October 2019

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 30: Do you enjoy the Horror genre; if so, what's your favorite?

I am not much of a fan. Every now and then I'll enjoy a movie in this category, but it is not one I seek out.

Lady Klarg loves horror.

• Like 4

To an extent, yes, as long as it isn't too gory or way out (i.e. Human Centipede or anything directed by Rob Zombie).

This time of year I include the following into my viewing list (some horror-comedy is always good)

Cabin in the Woods

Spaced Invaders

Ernest Scared Stupid

Rocky Horror Picture Show

• Like 7

Oh, for anyone that wants bite-sized chunks of horror of varying quality, the YouTube channels ALTER, CryptTV, Dust, and Omeleto may have something for you.

• Like 4

Eh.. not really.

I don't do slashers or gore-heavy spray-fests.

... I did enjoy Cabin in the Woods, though. And I've seen Colour out of Space; that was... well, it was. So suspense, short the jump-scares?

I also enjoyed the original Alien, which was ... brr! Creepy as pants!

I have seen the Human Centipede movies. The first one was.. sort of decent? Completely elfed up wrong, but it had story-type parts. The second one was just ... nope. I suspect it was going to be nope. I watched it anyway. I don't know what all that says about me, aside from the part where I got past the sandpaper without much more than a little shudder. >.>

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Eh.. not really.

I don't do slashers or gore-heavy spray-fests.

... I did enjoy Cabin in the Woods, though. And I've seen Colour out of Space; that was... well, it was. So suspense, short the jump-scares?

I also enjoyed the original Alien, which was ... brr! Creepy as pants!

I have seen the Human Centipede movies. The first one was.. sort of decent? Completely elfed up wrong, but it had story-type parts. The second one was just ... nope. I suspect it was going to be nope. I watched it anyway. I don't know what all that says about me, aside from the part where I got past the sandpaper without much more than a little shudder. >.>

Hubby told me the premise of human centipede (and, of course, I saw south park’s human cent-iPad :rolleyes: ), and I just Noped out of it. For me it’s like, some thing your don’t need to watch. Like two girls, one cup. Big nope. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm going to go with "nope, nope, nope, nope, NOPE!" as my answer.  Definitely not a fan of horror movies. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm don't enjoy being startled, so I don't enjoy the whole jump scare thing common in horror movies.  The rest of it really doesn't bother me, and I love reading horror, although it's been a while since I've read any.

I'm willing to sit through the inevitable jump scares in a show or movie if I know the story is supposed to be good or what have you, but I don't tend to pick them given the choice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes, although it it a frustrating genre to find quality in. I enjoy Lovecraft, Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James, Arthur Machen, Poe, etc. As to movies, the original Universal horror films, Faust (1926), Nosferatu, etc have yet to beat for sheer atmosphere. The remake of the Wolfman with Benicio Del Toro was excellent, The Witch is a movie I continue to sing praises of.

Others I enjoy such as Dog Soldiers, John Carpenter's Vampires, Solomon Kane, Season of the Witch, Cemetery Man I would classify more as Pulp Adventure than Horror. The Devil's Rejects was good, but to my mind finds more of a home in the Crime/Exploitation genre.

It's a difficult genre to do well, and unfortunately until the perception of it as "direct to dvd' fodder remains among the studios  I don't see a favorable change in the crap/not crap ratio anytime soon. The same holds true of the written side of it as well.

• Like 6

I have enjoyed most of the horror I've watched, in one way or another. I haven't really watched enough to say I love the genre, but I think I've watched more than most people?

I recently watched "A Quiet Place," and I liked it a bunch. Basically, a family tried to survive against towering, lightning-fast humanoid creatures that are being but have excellent hearing. It's much more suspenseful than gory, and felt similar to "Alien" in many respects (which is one of the highest forms of praise I can give). The sound design is really well done to drive home the creepiness of the creatures.

I also watched "Raw," a story about a young woman who has been vegetarian all her life, and is now at University to study to become a veterinarian. In a hazing ritual, she is forced to eat meat, which triggers a carnivorous, cannibalistic frenzy in her. Hilarity and body-horror ensue. It's not actually funny, but I found parts of it hilarious. Lots of WTF?! moments.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Why is everyone just talking about movies?

When I was growing up back in the 90's I read a lot of horror.  TBH I just read a lot so I read many things, but horror was one of them.  If Steven King, Clive Barker, and such published a book prior to the 2000's I've probably read it.  However once I go to grad school I kind of just stopped reading horror and never really got back into it.  I have read some horror manga as well.

I've played some horror RPGs, but depending on what element of the genre the game wants to focus on it can be difficult to pull off.  Some don't do well with the power dynamic while others find it hard to forget you are just sitting around a table with your friends.

I've played quite a few horror video games.  The Resident Evil franchise has always been a favorite, I liked Alan Wake when it came out, and there's probably more if I think about it.

Oh, and movies.  I don't watch the modern stuff.  I can watch the classics, but I need to be in the right mood for it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not really but I do like horror elements in other genres. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not really. The only horror films I have enjoyed are Sci-Fi horror: Alien, Aliens, The Thing, etc. Of those Aliens is probably my favorite, which is admittedly more of an Action-Horror movie.

EDIT: If aren't just talking about movies it's basically the same, games like Dead Space I like while I'm not much interested in others. Although, the Resident Evil 2 remake looks fun. The only pure horror game I played was Soma. I don't read horror. And any RPG can be a horror game with the right group and DM.

EDIT 2:

12 hours ago, VitM said:

Oh, for anyone that wants bite-sized chunks of horror of varying quality, the YouTube channels ALTER, CryptTV, Dust, and Omeleto may have something for you.

Oats Studios has some interesting stuff as well. Zygote is a sci-fi horror short film.

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 6

@I have failed to keep up with this thread for a few days. I have been unwell.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 28: What movie spin-off/series (other than Star Wars) do you feel has/had taken things too far and should have just quit while they were ahead?

Battleship.  They should have stopped that one at zero. <_<

On 10/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, TaleSpinner said:

October 29: What/where is the furthest you have ever traveled from home?

1118 Miles / Orlando Florida

23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not much at all; I suppose it would be the original Alien movie. 

21 hours ago, malefactus said:

I am a longtime Horror movie fan; […] Army of Darkness is probably my favorite in the class.

I have never seen it. Didn’t know if it counted as horror. 

@Xiwo Xerase said:

I don't count Army of Darkness as horror, [...]

...And now, I am confused.

11 hours ago, Auberon said:

Why is everyone just talking about movies?

I have read nothing that is considered in the horror genre. 

Auberon said:

I've played quite a few horror video games.

Is DOOM a horror video game?

Edited by TGP
Fixing broken attributions
  • Like 5