Getting to Know You, October 2019

TaleSpinner

Starting this weekend the daily high temps are dropping a lot, which I love. Bow season is open, but so far I have not seen any deer, and I don't hunt before the first frost regardless.

This weekend I will be painting up Christmas cards and barn wood santas. 

• Like 8

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 4: How is Fall progressing in your corner of the world?

It has cooled substantially, to where I am comfortable.  We've been having frost warnings all week.  The cruise ship tourists are in full bloom, as apparently they like this time of year. I heard over 10,000 tourists in port yesterday.  Cruise ships are big.
The getting dark early thing is annoying as I'm still driving back to NS every weekend. Sunset is 6:47 tonight.

Leaves should be starting to look good this weekend I expect.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 5-6 (Weekend Quest): Get out and enjoy Fall, take a picture of Fall prettiness and show us.

Last week it was pushing 90F, this morning it is 41F, so fall has arrived temperature wise.  That said the grass is green, the trees are green, and aside from a few pumpkin displays the "fall prettiness" still looks just like "summer prettiness."  Regardless, fall is the one season I have allergies so I don't go out to enjoy it until after a good frost has killed off some plants.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

October 5-6 (Weekend Quest): Get out and enjoy Fall, take a picture of Fall prettiness and show us.

The temperature took a nose dive today (I've had to move from shorts to trousers), so autumn is definitely on it's way.

I am going out over the weekend, but there's not much prettiness around here to take a picture of.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Fall won't happen here for at least another month. Temperatures are in the mid 90s & everything is still green.

That does make taking Fall photos difficult.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, yesterday it hit 94 F with the heat index. And today we're looking at a high of 68. And it doesn't appear we are going to break 75 F for at least the next week. So I guess fall is finally here.  This means we're rolling into that time of year where I have to bundle up to ride my bicycle to work and have to bring a pair of shorts for the ride home. Which always makes me laugh a bit when I think about it. 

In the last five days the plants have finally started to turn brown and the trees are just starting to change colors. I figure we have one, maybe one and a half more weeks where we can still get out in the field and do any kind of vegetation based quality assessments, then I'm stuck in the office for the next five months until March rolls around. This always makes me a little sad though as I'm not a big fan of the cold or of being indoors all the time.

• Like 4

Like @Argentee said, what is this "fall" you speak of?  I'm just hoping it gets below 80F (27C) by the time the Halloween parties roll around. ::P: 

• Like 5

We finally got our first cold snap.  Temps dropped from 88F on Wed to 51F this morning and will stay there.  Not much color yet, everything is still lush and green, just starting to go brown around the edges. 

• Like 5

Well it's still in the 90's here, but it is supposed to dip into the 80's next week and on the 10 day forecast I see a couple of days in the upper 70's with lows in the upper 60's, so I'm pretty thrilled. 

I don't know that I'm going to be able to capture any "Fall prettiness".....but I'll do my best, just for you, Andy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Was 96 here Monday today will be 77, so that is welcome! Heading to the range this morning with some old guns!

Plan for tomorrow, we are going to buy the Missus a new recliner.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Was very hot, but just cooled off overnight to the point where I needed a jacket this morning. Leaves have already started falling everywhere. Sweatshirt/hoodie weather = my time of year.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Cooling off rapidly, and ... soggy.

Everything is wet. 

I'unno if I have any Fall Prettiness, but I might be able to get some decent pictures of the apples in the tree..? The chickens are damp, and the rooster is missing his tail feathers (no idea, I'm assuming molt) and thus looks ridiculous, rather than magnificent. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Argentee said:

:lol:::P::lol:::P::lol:

I live in Florida! What is this 'fall' that you speak of?

:lol:::P::lol:::P::lol:

2 hours ago, VitM said:

Like @Argentee said, what is this "fall" you speak of?  I'm just hoping it gets below 80F (27C) by the time the Halloween parties roll around. ::P: 

Oh sorry, for the Southern coastal folks:

How is the second half of Hurricane Season progressing for you?

• Haha 12